Can't delete files

G

I ran "Control Panel/Remove Programs" to get rid of Movie Maker. It completed successfully, but left the directory and files. I tried to delete the directory and it told me it was in use. I deleted the executable and dll's. Within seconds, they re-appeared. Same thing when I tried to rename them. I ran task manager and right before they re-appear, I see winlogon.exe using cpu. I tried to rename winlogon with the same results. Why do these files keep coming back? I ran Mcafee with no success. I also checked them with Adaware. This doesn't seem like normal Windows behavior. Has anyone else seen this?

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Windows Movie Maker is a vital Windows XP system component that is
not designed to be removed.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|I ran "Control Panel/Remove Programs" to get rid of Movie Maker. It completed successfully, but left the
directory and files. I tried to delete the directory and it told me it was in use. I deleted the executable
and dll's. Within seconds, they re-appeared. Same thing when I tried to rename them. I ran task manager and
right before they re-appear, I see winlogon.exe using cpu. I tried to rename winlogon with the same results.
Why do these files keep coming back? I ran Mcafee with no success. I also checked them with Adaware. This
doesn't seem like normal Windows behavior. Has anyone else seen this?

R

Ray Grasso

You can't get rid of winlogon.exe. If you do, you can't
log onto your machine! Hence the name winlogon.
-----Original Message-----
I ran "Control Panel/Remove Programs" to get rid of
Movie Maker. It completed successfully, but left the
directory and files. I tried to delete the directory and
it told me it was in use. I deleted the executable and
dll's. Within seconds, they re-appeared. Same thing when
I tried to rename them. I ran task manager and right
before they re-appear, I see winlogon.exe using cpu. I
tried to rename winlogon with the same results. Why do
these files keep coming back? I ran Mcafee with no
success. I also checked them with Adaware. This doesn't
seem like normal Windows behavior. Has anyone else seen