canon automatic nozzle cleaning

glathrem

I have a MP 180 which seems to run a cleaning cycle every time I turn it on.
I do not think this is necessary. I read somewhere to not disconnect it from
the power but this does not stop it. Any way to have it clean only when I
want it to?

Tony

glathrem said:
I have a MP 180 which seems to run a cleaning cycle every time I turn it on.
I do not think this is necessary. I read somewhere to not disconnect it from
the power but this does not stop it. Any way to have it clean only when I
want it to?

You can't disable the automatic head cleaning cycles, they are designed to keep
the printhead in good condition. Even if you could stop them it would be most
unwise.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

glathrem

I believe just printing a few lines of each color would keep the printhead
from drying and clogging and wastes far less ink.

measekite

Tony wrote:

"glathrem" <[email protected]> wrote:

I have a MP 180 which seems to run a cleaning cycle every time I turn it on.

You should never turn it off.  It goes to sleep.  I never turn my Canon or HP printers off.

I do not think this is necessary. I read somewhere to not disconnect it from the power but this does not stop it. Any way to have it clean only when I want it to?

You can't disable the automatic head cleaning cycles, they are designed to keep the printhead in good condition. Even if you could stop them it would be most unwise. Tony MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Aftermarketink

If Canon printers do not do a printhead cleaning consistantly the
heads will clog. The cleaning is designed to stop Canon's expensive
ink from cloging the jets. To avoid this you have to keep the printer
on...and spend money on the wasted electricity.

I use a quality aftermarket ink in my IP4000 and never have the worry
about the heads clogging. I also save money and the environment by
turning my printer off when not in use.

Yianni

I believe just printing a few lines of each color would keep the printhead
from drying and clogging and wastes far less ink.

You are right. Just print a few lines (including all colors) everyday (or
every two days) and leave it on 24/7. It won't do any cleaning cycle at all.
I use mine (epson) printer this way.

Bob Headrick

Yianni said:
You are right. Just print a few lines (including all colors) everyday (or
every two days) and leave it on 24/7. It won't do any cleaning cycle at
all. I use mine (epson) printer this way.

It *will* do cleaning cycles based on the time since the last print as well
as other factors. This will typically happen at the beginning of a print
job. Additional servicing may occur during the print job as well as when
the printhead is being returned to the capping station. Depending on the
model there may also be time based servicing that occurs nn hours after the
last print job.

As for concerns about power consumption, today's desktop inkjet printers
typically consume only a few watts when in idle mode.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

glathrem

Thanks Bob, I'm going to try leaving it on and see what happens. I was never
concerned about the few watts of standby power. I have 2 canons, 2 epsons, 2
HPs, and a panasonic. The canons are the least troublesome except for the
old dot matrix panasonic. I refill my own ink on all of them. Both the HPs,
both of the Epsons and one of the Canons clogged with the original genuine
ink, so why use it? I have not put my dollar store ink in any yet, but just
dabbing it on paper it matches the original colors (especially yellow)
better than the much more expensive jettec refill ink. The company that puts
out a printer and sells ink for less than $3000 a gallon could take over
this industry. Hmmm.... I have not tried a Kodak.

measekite

glathrem wrote:

Thanks Bob, I'm going to try leaving it on and see what happens. I was never concerned about the few watts of standby power. I have 2 canons, 2 epsons, 2 HPs, and a panasonic. The canons are the least troublesome except for the old dot matrix panasonic. I refill my own ink on all of them.

So you are willing to trade lower quality photos with a greater degree of fading for spending less.

Both the HPs, both of the Epsons and one of the Canons clogged with the original genuine ink, so why use it? I have not put my dollar store ink in any yet, but just dabbing it on paper it matches the original colors (especially yellow) better than the much more expensive jettec refill ink. The company that puts out a printer and sells ink for less than $3000 a gallon could take over this industry. Hmmm.... I have not tried a Kodak. "Bob Headrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

"Yianni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1201483343.514416@athprx04...

[...]

I see nothing "lower quality" about them at all! As for fading time will tell. I mostly use the Canon which was originally dye ink just like the refill stuff, except for black. There is a color shift but the original canon ink needed some color correction as well. The epsons are just plain junk. The HP is my best and uses 6 colors. It's just a hassle to reset the chips on the HP, unlike the canon which will just keep printing. I lose the ink monitor on the canon once they read empty but the ink counter was so far off anyway, I don't care.

glathrem wrote:
Thanks Bob, I'm going to try leaving it on and see what happens. I was never
concerned about the few watts of standby power. I have 2 canons, 2 epsons, 2
HPs, and a panasonic. The canons are the least troublesome except for the
old dot matrix panasonic. I refill my own ink on all of them. So you are willing to trade lower quality photos with a greater degree of fading for spending less.

measekite

glathrem wrote:

I see nothing "lower quality" about them at all!

Many people cannot tell quality.  That is why so much crap ink sells until people learn or the customer runs into a problem.

As for fading time will tell. I mostly use the Canon which was originally dye ink just like the refill stuff, except for black.

There is a color shift

O course but you see nothing lower quality about them EXCEPT FOR A COLOR SHIFT.

but the original canon ink needed some color correction as well. The epsons are just plain junk.

False,  the Epsons are fine printers but except for the 3800 Canon is better for photos and all around.

The HP is my best and uses 6 colors.

Now for business documents and text certain HP models are the best but not for photos.

It's just a hassle to reset the chips on the HP,

That is good.

unlike the canon which will just keep printing. I lose the ink monitor on the canon once they read empty but the ink counter was so far off anyway,

Mine is accurate

I don't care.

"measekite" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

glathrem wrote:

Thanks Bob, I'm going to try leaving it on and see what happens. I was never concerned about the few watts of standby power. I have 2 canons, 2 epsons, 2 HPs, and a panasonic. The canons are the least troublesome except for the old dot matrix panasonic. I refill my own ink on all of them.

So you are willing to trade lower quality photos with a greater degree of fading for spending less.

Frank

measekite said:
Many people cannot tell quality.

Like you? I've seen some of the pics you took and in a word "horrible"!
You are no judge of quality.
In fact, you're just a big mouth stupid lying idiot!
Frank