Canon MP-730 all-in-one says :Wrong Cartridge"

Discussion in 'Printers' started by micky, Jun 28, 2012.

  1. micky

    micky Guest

    Canon MP-730 all-in-one says :Wrong Cartridge" that is, bad printhead.

    Should I keep cleaing the electrical contacts? Is an old printer
    better than a new printer and I should spend 80 dollars for a new
    printhead?

    Hi, again. I've given up on the Canon MP-F50, and a friend of mine
    has given me a Canon MP-730 that she got from Freecycle about a year
    ago, but hasn't used. (and gave strange reasons why not. Women!)

    It has every feature I want except wireless, but including drivers
    that are on the Canon webpage, and seems to be in beautiful condition,
    but it won't do anything, even clean itself or do a re-alignment,
    because it has the omnipresent message, "Wrong cartridge".

    Now the user guide and a lot of webpages say this message is really
    about the printhead, and I've cleaned the metal contacts on the
    printhead, and tried once to clean the metal pins that spring up
    against it. I've wiggled it several times. Should I clean some
    more? One webpage says that it is an electrical problem in the
    printhead., If so, doesn't that mean I can't fix it?

    They sell new, in the sealed foil bag, Canon printheads on Ebay
    starting at about 80 dolllars which seems like a ridiculously
    impractical price when I can buy a new all-in-one printer with
    wireless for 100 dollars.

    But one ad says "These printers still use the older less expensive
    inks, keep this great printer working with this part! " Does he have
    a good point? Is this or other reasons good reasons to keep an old
    printer?

    micky, Jun 28, 2012

  2. micky <> writes:

    > Canon MP-730 all-in-one says :Wrong Cartridge" that is, bad printhead.
    >
    > Should I keep cleaing the electrical contacts? Is an old printer
    > better than a new printer and I should spend 80 dollars for a new
    > printhead?

    I would not spend 80 dollars on a printhead unless I was perfectly
    sure that it is the printhead and not (also) something else that is
    broken/shorted out. If the logic board is damaged, you will simply end
    up destroying the new printhead as well. The safest thing to do, is to
    send the printer to Canon's fixed price server, which is available in
    some regions of the globe. Here in Japan it costs 10500 JPY to fix a
    printer, regardless of the problem. I sent an MP800 in which I knew
    had a damaged logicboard and a broken printhead. So that was a great
    deal for me: new logic board, new printhead, new waste ink pad, and
    thorough cleaning and checking.

    > Hi, again. I've given up on the Canon MP-F50, and a friend of mine
    > has given me a Canon MP-730 that she got from Freecycle about a year
    > ago, but hasn't used. (and gave strange reasons why not. Women!)

    I had a MP710 for years, and then one day after power-on, the same message.
    I sold it for 100 JPY on auction the same week.

    The same happened just 2 months ago with my MP610 which had been
    working beautifully for a few years. Power on and printhead
    error. Sold for 500 JPY on auctiopn the same week.

    Now I am back to using my trusty MP450 which has been going for
    donkey's years after I bought it second hand, and is amazingly
    versatile to boot: it will happily print even when I forget to open
    the paper tray exit on the front. The paper just gets neatly rolled up
    inside the printer LOL.

    I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
    above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
    photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
    use. I have a iP4500 and a Canoscan 8800F that are my workhorses for
    business or decorative printing, and top-notch (consumer-grade) scans.

    > It has every feature I want except wireless, but including drivers
    > that are on the Canon webpage, and seems to be in beautiful condition,
    > but it won't do anything, even clean itself or do a re-alignment,
    > because it has the omnipresent message, "Wrong cartridge".
    >
    > Now the user guide and a lot of webpages say this message is really
    > about the printhead, and I've cleaned the metal contacts on the
    > printhead, and tried once to clean the metal pins that spring up
    > against it. I've wiggled it several times. Should I clean some
    > more? One webpage says that it is an electrical problem in the
    > printhead., If so, doesn't that mean I can't fix it?

    If you don't have that kind of expertise and experience to guide you,
    the answer is most likely no. I don't unfortunately have any advice to
    offer you either.

    /../

    > But one ad says "These printers still use the older less expensive
    > inks, keep this great printer working with this part! " Does he have
    > a good point? Is this or other reasons good reasons to keep an old
    > printer?

    Yes, the MP700/730 and MP710/740 use the non-chipped cartridges (you
    can of course put in the chipped cartridges, since the unchipped ones
    are not sold anymore, obviously the chip is ignored) which is much
    more user-friendly if you like to handle your own ink refills and
    maintenance.

    Canon printers unfortunately have a habit of stopping dead at some
    point, and unless you correctly diagnose the problem (printhead/logic
    board) you can break whatever replacement part you decide to put
    in. So I would be careful.

    Cheers,
    --
    Gernot Hassenpflug

    Gernot Hassenpflug, Jun 29, 2012

  3. micky

    AnthonyL Guest

    On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
    <> wrote:

    >I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
    >above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
    >photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
    >use.

    Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
    use."

    I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
    ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
    few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
    now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
    cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
    because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.

    A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
    very handy. Do you have any suggestions?

    --
    AnthonyL

    AnthonyL, Jul 1, 2012
  4. From: "AnthonyL" <>

    > On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >> I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
    >> above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
    >> photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
    >> use.

    > Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
    > use."
    >
    > I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
    > ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
    > few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
    > now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
    > cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
    > because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.
    >
    > A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
    > very handy. Do you have any suggestions?

    Epson Artisan 835/837.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

    David H. Lipman, Jul 1, 2012
  5. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> writes:

    > From: "AnthonyL" <>
    >
    > > On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
    > >> above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
    > >> photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
    > >> use.

    > > Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
    > > use."
    > >
    > > I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
    > > ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
    > > few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
    > > now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
    > > cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
    > > because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.
    > >
    > > A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
    > > very handy. Do you have any suggestions?
    > >

    > Epson Artisan 835/837.

    I'm also leaning heavily towards non-Canon these days (my first love
    had been HP when I was still living in South Africa). But since I can
    buy Canon printers cheaply second-hand, and refill inks, it is not
    such a pain to change printers. There's also the attribute that they
    are the only maker in Japan at least that has off-the-shelf products
    with double-sided printing capablility. No need to buy extra add-ons.
    I guess like Toshiba with their damned breakable laptops, the specs
    are high, but so is vulnerability. Sometimes because they push the
    technology, sometimes because the design is just crappy.

    Then there is the fact that I am developing drivers for these Canons
    thingies, to use on linux and MacOSX. So I have to admit it is only
    because I see them as a hobby, that I continue to buy them.

    Still, every company can change, and most printer and scanner
    manufacturers have been both good and bad as far as consumer service
    and satisfaction goes, over the course of the last 10-15 years.
    --
    Gernot Hassenpflug

    Gernot Hassenpflug, Jul 2, 2012
  6. micky

    micky Guest

    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >offer you either.
    >
    >/../
    >
    >> But one ad says "These printers still use the older less expensive
    >> inks, keep this great printer working with this part! " Does he have
    >> a good point? Is this or other reasons good reasons to keep an old
    >> printer?

    >Yes, the MP700/730 and MP710/740 use the non-chipped cartridges (you
    >can of course put in the chipped cartridges, since the unchipped ones
    >are not sold anymore, obviously the chip is ignored) which is much
    >more user-friendly if you like to handle your own ink refills and
    >maintenance.
    >
    >Canon printers unfortunately have a habit of stopping dead at some
    >point, and unless you correctly diagnose the problem (printhead/logic
    >board) you can break whatever replacement part you decide to put

    Okay,

    Thanks. You've convinced me that buying a new printhead is risky.
    Well, maybe I sort of knew it but you pushed me over the summit to No.

    micky, Jul 3, 2012
  7. micky

    AnthonyL Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 09:02:37 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "AnthonyL" <>
    >
    >> On 29 Jun 2012 10:54:16 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I still have MP800 and MP810 spare (both refurbished as explained
    >>> above) which I use for limited photo prints and sometimes negative or
    >>> photo scans, but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for heavy
    >>> use.

    >> Perhaps better: " but I consider Canon all-in-ones too fragile for
    >> use."
    >>
    >> I purchased the Canon Pixma MP600R Multifunction Printer a few years
    >> ago and it just gets used occasionally, maybe a handful of prints or a
    >> few scans every week or so. Firstly the wireless stopped working and
    >> now I get the U150 error on the middle cartridge. Swapping the
    >> cartridge for one of the others leaves the same error. Then of course
    >> because there is an error I can't do anything - not even scan.
    >>
    >> A wireless all-in-one with scanning over wireless as well would be
    >> very handy. Do you have any suggestions?
    >>

    >Epson Artisan 835/837.

    Seems ideal but doesn't seem to have made the UK market :(

    --
    AnthonyL

    AnthonyL, Jul 14, 2012