    previous version, that was expired on Dec 31, 2005. I uninstall it and
    download again from microsoft.com and again face the same problems. Anyone
    can help me to troubleshoot my problems. My OS is Win XP Pro SP 2.

    Guest, Jan 2, 2006

    See Thread "Beta Update Jan 1 2006" in Signatures Section.

    Guest, Jan 2, 2006
  3. I'm not certain that I understand the issue you are seeing:

    is it 1) "I cannot scan using the new version"
    or 2) "I cannot get the new version to update properly?"

    When scanning hangs, can you characterize where it hangs--is there any
    message?

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 2, 2006

    Thanks Bill. My actual problem is having problems updating with
    the new beta 1.0.701; "could not connect to the internet" while my connection
    and my updating with other software is working just fine. Thus I cannot get
    the new version to update properly, therefore it will suddenly hang. Any
    problem with the version?

    Guest, Jan 3, 2006
  5. There's no generic problem with the code or with any specific updates.

    OTOH, I have seen posts like yours before.

    I'd recommend clearing the Temporary Internet Files on your system--do this
    in Internet Explorer, tools, options.

    How long have you let it sit in the "hung" state?

    If nothing else works, I'd recommend:

    1) uninstall Microsoft Antispyware build .701
    2) delete \program files\microsoft antispyware and all subfolders. You'll
    lose access to quarantined items, history, and customized settings
    3) reinstall Microsoft Antispyware build .701, taking care to be logged in
    as administrator.

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 3, 2006

    Thanks Bill.
    Previously I have done exactly what you have mentioned here. I deleted all
    the subfolder in the program file. Then I serach for any remainder of MS
    antispyware using search tool. None. Finally i restart and download a
    'clean' one and the problem still persist. That is why I turn here for help
    whether anyone face the same issue. The notebook keep on hanging even for an
    hour. I have experiment it. Later on I have to press the power button to
    shut it down.

    Guest, Jan 4, 2006
  7. What happens if you start in safe mode with networking? Your presentation
    seems unique in my memory here--I'm wondering if there is some kind of
    software conflict which might not be present in safe mode.

    Do you have any third-party apps which are intended to protect various areas
    of the machine from modification by malware--or provide goback type
    mechanisms?

    The new code version isn't intended to have any change in functionality
    except for the expiration date change, as far as we've been told--so it is
    odd that it is behaving so differently on your system.

    It isn't clear to me from your description just when the hang occurs--is it
    when starting up, when attempting an update, or during a scan?

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 4, 2006

    Thanks Bill for your prompt reply.

    The hang up occurs ONLY when attempting an update. Other than this the
    antispyware works fine.

    Previously, the older version works fine. The problem start ONLY after I
    upgraded to latest version which will expire on July 2006. Yes it is unique.
    I does not expect it to happen to me. None of my friends face it

    By the way, I still keep on trying to find out the causes and am confidence
    will solve it in due cause. Once agian thanks to you, Bill.

    Guest, Jan 4, 2006

    I think I'm having similar problems. I installed the latest version, but it
    hangs when trying to update.

    I've also noticed certain websites can't be accessed anymore.

    The condition that lead to this is as follows:
    Microsoft Antispyware did not expire on 12/31/05 as it should have, and
    continued to run in memory. Afterwards, certain sites, including
    microsoft.com, cannot be surfed to. Thought it was router issues, but other
    machines work fine. The computers that work fine, MSAS was disabled after
    expiration and was notified to get the update.

    I installed update on all machines, but only the machines that had been
    flagged as expired continued to work properly. As well, when installing, it
    didn't give me a choice of updating or removing. It knew it was updating and
    notified me as such. Not so on the problem machines.

    Even after uninstalling, cleaning out path, and reinstalling updated
    version, I'm having networking problems. This is definitely a MSAS issue,
    and uninstalling doesn't seem to help with network access (can reach
    exchange, but can't reach www.hotmail.com). I think MSAS is not allowing URL
    redirection, because I can reach direct URL's fine, but anything that
    redirects seems to have problems.

    This is a serious issue, and need a fix asap.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2006

    At last there is one person having similar problem. It seems the newer
    update give out a lot of problems to the user. Until today I am still
    looking for the clues to solve it.

    By the way, WHAT MICROSOFT is doing about this? I hope this problem will be
    fixed ASAP. Otherwise, customer may simply sikp it in the future.

    Guest, Jan 5, 2006

    Figured out my problem. DNS servers got changed by ISP without notification.
    After pointing to new servers, things were fixed.

    Guest, Jan 6, 2006

    My problem solved at last.

    The culprit was Norton Internet Security. It block even the Yahoo Anti-Spy
    update. I found out that everytime I click update either MSAS or Yahoo
    Anti-Spy while NIS on, my notebook hangs. I need to disable it before trying
    to update both of them.

    Only this new version faces that problem. Previous version, i could update
    it while NIS was in able mode.

    Guest, Jan 6, 2006
  13. Thanks for letting us know the outcome!

    Bill Sanderson, Jan 6, 2006