Cannot start the UPS service error 2481

G

I have been having trouble with my computer restarting itself. I have replaced the hard drive and reformatted, etc. I have ruled out everything except a bad power supply. I have heat monitoring software and no problems there. The last occurrence was after installing Virtual PC, creating a virtual machine and attempting to install Server 2000. Computer restarted itself. Event viewer displayed this System Error and 3 Application errors related to ZoneAlarm. Sure enough the UPS service is not started and will not start because it says it's not configured properly. MSKB says SP1 needed but I'm already running it. Can't seem to figure out if there's an update for ups.exe or if I have to reinstall the whole Service Pack. Thanks for your help. Hope I've provided enough info. UPS is APC LS 500 connected by USB. No Powerchute installed. Please reply via email if possible. Thanks

Mark

G

Ok, I installed the Powerchute which causes the battery to appear properly named in the Device Manager. But Powerchute disables the native UPS power management in XP. And the problem persists. Still could not start the UPS service. So I uninstalled Powerchute and then I could start the service but it keeps wanting to shut the computer off so I had to put the UPS service on Manual and keep it stopped. I went back to Virtual PC and after unplugging the UPS USB connection from the computer I almost got Server 2000 installed but it restarted the computer on me again. This time no errors in the event viewer. My troubleshooting is going around in circles. Would appreciate help

thank

Mark

Ask a Question