cannot install network printer connected to router

G

This is the setup:
Desktop running XP Home.
XP Network connects the desktop, a laptop, a Linksys router (to which a DSL modem is attached)
Printer is an HP 2200DN with a built-in HP JetDirect print server
software firewalls disabled

The printer worked fine when it was a local printer attached to the desktop and shared on the network.
Now I have connected it directly via Ethernet cable to the router so that (I thought) it could be used by the laptop when the desktop was turned off. The router acts as a DHCP server and assigns an IP address to the printer server.

XP cannot find the printer in this configuration. Using the Add Printer wizard, it cannot find it by browsing. It doesn't have a name yet, so I can't identify it that way. If I enter its IP address (the third radio button) then Mr. Add Printer Wizard freezes up and cannot be terminated without rebooting the computer.

I can communicate with the printer using the desktop and a web browser (JetDirect has a built-in browser interface.) By doing this I can see its IP address as assigned by the router and I can change the print server's configuration if I choose. So I know that on some level everything is working and connected.

But I still cannot install this printer as a printer which is connected to the router as a network device and not as a printer connected to a computer. Am I missing something? Am I a nerlman and/or a schmendrick? Is this not possible with XP? Or do I need XP Pro for this? Or something altogether different? To read the Linksys and HP web sites, you would think this is possible.

Thank you for your help!

G

I tried this:
I installed it as local printer, opened a new TCP/IP port, entered its current IP address, didn't share it, (all very counterintuitive to me, but I note now that there is documentation on the web to that effect) and it printed the test page and a Word doc.
The issue is that as the port I opened has a fixed IP address, but the printer is requesting a DHCP assigned address, I will have to figure out how to instruct the print server to use a static address. But that shouldn't be too hard. thanks,

Schendrick J. Nerlman

Ask a Question