Cannot create dial-up connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by mgoldman, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. mgoldman

    mgoldman Guest

    I recently had a motherboard failure on my Compaq
    Presario 5005CL. Before I knew it was the motherboard, I
    tried to reinstall Windows XP. After my reinstall, all my
    dial-up connections were deleted. I tried to create a new
    dial up connection, but I now get a Error 711 which
    says "Cannot Load Remote Access Service Connection
    Manager". I've tried going into Services and starting
    the service manually, but I get an Error 5 that says
    access is denied. I am the only user and am also the
    administrator. My modem works and I can connect to AOL,
    but I cannot get internet access (e.g., browse the web or
    run other Internet services) through AOL either. I tried
    reinstalling XP again with the same results. Lastly, when
    I use the new connection wizard to try to set up a dial
    up connection, choosing "connect to the internet" and
    then "set up my connection manually", the "connect using
    a dial-up modem" is grayed out and cannot be selected.
    This problem is very puzzling. Any ideas would be much
    appreciated!!!

    mgoldman, Sep 13, 2003

  2. You Cannot Create a Network Connection After You Restore Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329441

    --

    Ken Wickes [MSFT]

    Ken Wickes [MSFT], Sep 15, 2003