Cannot create a dial-up connection

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Larry Wei, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Larry Wei

    Larry Wei Guest

    I cannot make a dial up connection to my ISP. I checked my
    windows XP configuration. I found there are several places
    that seem misconfigured.
    1. There is no dial up connection Icon in mt networking
    place. I cannot create one
    2. There is an advance menu item in the network connection
    page, an option called dial up preference is there. When I
    click this option, an error message appears, it reads:
    error 711, remote access connection manager cannot be
    loaded.
    3. When I use the create a new connection wizard, I choose
    connect internet, along the steps, I choose an option for
    configure manually, then in the next step, I do not have
    the options for selecting dial up with Modem and DSL. these
    options are there but grey out, I cannot select them.
    4. I found there are two services that are not started.
    One is Remore Access connection manager, another one is
    remote access auto connection manager. When I try to start
    remote access connection manager, It gives me an error
    reading, error 5, access is denied. I am the owner and main
    user of my notebook.
    My window version is windows XP professional, I did not
    install SP1 yet.

    Can anybody help me with this? It is very much appreciated.

    Larry Wei, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Go to Control Panel>Network Connections>Create a new connection>Connect to
    the internet>Set up my connection manually.

    Ciprian

    Ciprian Sabau, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Larry Wei

    larry Guest

    Thanks a lot, you point to the exact solution I need.
    I followed the procedure there.
    The telephony service is started alreay.
    However, when I try to start Remote access connection
    manager, An error message appears reading:
    error 5, Access is denied, this service cannnot be started
    from local system.

    Can you help me with this?
    It si much appreaciated.

    us;330163

    >--
    >
    >This posting is provided "AS IS", with NO warranties and

    confers NO rights

    larry, Jul 8, 2003
  4. also do you have SP1 installed?

    Wajihy [MSFT], Jul 8, 2003
  5. Larry Wei

    Larry Guest

    1, Yes, I logged on as an admin. It is my notebook,
    Logged on as the main user. That should let me do
    anything allowed.

    2, No, I did not have SP1 installed.

    Thanks

    Larry, Jul 8, 2003