Can FBA run on Compact Flash ?

Ravi H

I have a device that has a Compact Flash as its only medium and am trying to
run FBA on it. I get an error "PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED" after the XPE
splash screen. I noticed the CF is listed as removalbe drive ( I could see
it when the CF was booting with the XPE it came with ).

Can I run FBA on CF ?
Should the CF be a fixed device to do so ?

Thanks for your time.

Sean Liming \(eMVP\)

Ravi,

It is better if the CF card was fixed, but it is possible to get XPe with
the EWF up and running on a CF card. Are you using EWF? You can run FBA on a
CF card, but there are some tricks with EWF.

1. When you prepared the CF card, did you use DOS to format and Bootprep to
laydown the boot correct sector?
2. If your using EWF, do you have the EnableAutoLayout component setup to
disable the auto defrag?
3. Have you check the FBALOG.TXT file to see what failed?

Regards,

Sean Liming
www.a7eng.com
Author: Windows NT Embedded Step-By-Step and XP Embedded Advanced.

Brad Combs

Ravi,

I saw this once when the file system the CF was formatted with was not part
of the runtime image. Try adding all the file systems (doesn't increase
footprint very much at all) and rebuild, and re-deploy. HTH,

Brad Combs
Imago Technologies

Dan Simpson [MS]

If the Compact Flash is marked as removable it won't work. Some compact
flash manufacturers provide a utility that will mark the CF device as
non-removable.

When FBA starts, it runs EWF. EWF attempts to create a temporary partition
on the compact flash device. If the CF is removable, this will fail.
Windows can't modify partitions on removable media.

However, if the CF device is marked as fixed, it will work. It is
recommended that you contact your compact flash manufacturer to find out how
to mark your compact flash device as a fixed drive. Or, you can use an
intermediate hard disk to run FBA on. Then, copy the image over to your CF.

Dan

Kesavan

Dan,

to mark the removable as fixed ,do we need the changes to be done on
our end or should it be replaced .Just to know !

Kesavan

Slobodan Brcin

Kesavan,

Contact your CF manufacturer for utility that will allow you to do that.

Slobodan

"Dan Simpson [MS]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
If the Compact Flash is marked as removable it won't work. Some compact
flash manufacturers provide a utility that will mark the CF device as
non-removable.

When FBA starts, it runs EWF. EWF attempts to create a temporary partition
on the compact flash device. If the CF is removable, this will fail.
Windows can't modify partitions on removable media.

However, if the CF device is marked as fixed, it will work. It is
recommended that you contact your compact flash manufacturer to find out how
to mark your compact flash device as a fixed drive. Or, you can use an
intermediate hard disk to run FBA on. Then, copy the image over to your CF.

Dan

trying
to the
XPE