brother printer - full ink cartridge but does not print

Discussion in 'Printers' started by Anna Lück, Dec 31, 2008.

  1. Anna Lück

    Anna Lück Guest

    Good morning,

    I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
    So far I was happy with it.
    Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
    Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
    print a simple black and white document.
    Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".

    I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
    do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
    to make me wasting money and ink.

    Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
    replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
    not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?

    Thank you very much,
    Anna

    Anna Lück, Dec 31, 2008

  2. Anna Lück

    Mary Guest

    "Anna Lück" <> wrote in message
    > Good morning,
    >
    > I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
    > So far I was happy with it.
    > Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
    > Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
    > print a simple black and white document.
    > Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".
    >
    > I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
    > do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
    > to make me wasting money and ink.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
    > replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
    > not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?
    >
    > Thank you very much,
    > Anna

    I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
    cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I can't
    print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that as far as I
    know,though there may be some which allow you to print black only. I find it
    annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to print black only. Its a
    way for the manufacturer to get you to buy cartridges as far as I can see. I
    also have a Canon IP 1500 which has one black and one tri colour cartridge,
    and when the tri colour cartridge runs out, you can still print with black.
    So sometimes I use it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about
    your yellow cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning
    first like "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings,
    then shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

    Mary

    Mary, Dec 31, 2008

  3. Anna Lück

    measekite Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:17:56 -0800, Anna Lück wrote:

    > Good morning,
    >
    > I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
    > So far I was happy with it.
    > Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
    > Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
    > print a simple black and white document.
    > Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".

    When you buy trash is does not take long to be unhappy with it. It looks
    like you found that out.

    > I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply do not use colours.
    > It really annoys me that brother tries to make me wasting money and ink.

    Go get a BW Laser. I hear Brother does not make a real bad one of those.

    measekite, Dec 31, 2008
  4. Anna Lück

    measekite Guest

    On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:

    > "Anna Lück" <> wrote in message
    >> Good morning,
    >>
    >> I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
    >> So far I was happy with it.
    >> Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
    >> Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
    >> print a simple black and white document.
    >> Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".
    >>
    >> I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
    >> do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
    >> to make me wasting money and ink.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
    >> replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
    >> not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?
    >>
    >> Thank you very much,
    >> Anna

    > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
    > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
    > can

    That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does print
    when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure to
    check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

    't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
    > as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print black
    > only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
    > print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
    > cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

    That is not true. The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
    put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

    > one black and one

    tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour

    Tri color carts are a waste. Just like in the Kodak printers when one
    color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

    > cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
    > it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about your yellow
    > cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first like
    > "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
    > shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

    Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

    measekite, Dec 31, 2008
  5. Anna Lück

    Mary Guest

    > >> Good morning,
    > >>
    > >> I have a "brother DCP -115C" printer.
    > >> So far I was happy with it.
    > >> Now, I'm getting really upset with it:
    > >> Althought the ink cartridge for black is full I cannot
    > >> print a simple black and white document.
    > >> Its display is showing "Ink Empty Yellow" and "Replace Ink".
    > >>
    > >> I do not want to buy new yellow ink because I simply
    > >> do not use colours. It really annoys me that brother tries
    > >> to make me wasting money and ink.
    > >>
    > >> Does anyone know how to make the printer print WITHOUT
    > >> replacing the empty yellow ink cartridge (it is actually
    > >> not empty, maybe 1/5 left)?
    > >>
    > >> Thank you very much,
    > >> Anna

    > > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
    > > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
    > > can

    > That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does print
    > when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure to
    > check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

    Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
    cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
    So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
    burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
    run at all.

    > 't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
    > > as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print black
    > > only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
    > > print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
    > > cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

    > That is not true. The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
    > put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

    The Canon IP1500 is a great printer. put tape over yourself.

    > > one black and one

    > tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour
    >
    > Tri color carts are a waste. Just like in the Kodak printers when one
    > color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

    Tri color works fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, the same
    as you like to give yours.

    > > cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
    > > it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about your yellow
    > > cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first like
    > > "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
    > > shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

    > Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

    Of course. >:p

    Mary, Dec 31, 2008
  6. Anna Lück

    Anna Lück Guest

    On 31 Dec, 07:13, "Mary" <> wrote:
    > "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:MfD6l.11805$...> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:
    >
    > > > "Anna Lück" <> wrote in message

    > > > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
    > > > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
    > > > can

    > > That information is simply INCORRECT.  I have an IP4000 and it does print
    > > when a color runs out.  But you can burn out your printhead.  Be sure to
    > > check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

    > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
    > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
    > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
    > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
    > run at all.
    >
    > > 't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
    > > > as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print black
    > > > only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
    > > > print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
    > > > cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

    > > That is not true.  The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
    > > put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

    > The Canon IP1500 is a great printer. put tape over yourself.
    >
    > > > one black and one

    > > tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour

    > > Tri color carts are a waste.  Just like in the Kodak printers when one
    > > color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

    > Tri color works fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, the same
    > as you like to give yours.
    >
    > > > cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
    > > > it if I have a lot of black to print.  I don't know about your yellow
    > > > cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first like
    > > > "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
    > > > shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

    > > Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

    > Of course. >:p

    Thank you for your answers.

    Is there a way of getting my current brother printer to print rather
    than
    considering buying other printers? I don't want to spend money on a
    new resp. other printer.

    I would like to know of how to get my brother printer print.

    Anna Lück, Dec 31, 2008
  7. "Anna Lück" <> wrote in message

    > . . .
    > Is there a way of getting my current brother printer to print rather
    > than considering buying other printers? I don't want to spend money on a
    > new resp. other printer.

    It would be cheaper to replace the colour cartridge(s).
    Brother DCPs appear to accept unbranded replacement
    cartridges (at least my DCP 330C and DCP 540CN do.)
    Many brands of printer will not function with a single
    empty ink cartridge.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Dec 31, 2008
  8. Anna Lück

    measekite Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:13:18 -0500, Mary wrote:

    > "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Anna Lück" <> wrote in message

    >> > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
    >> > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
    >> > can

    >> That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does print
    >> when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure to
    >> check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

    > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
    > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
    > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
    > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
    > run at all.

    That is because you do not ask the right questions.

    An Example:

    What operating system are you using?

    What driver are you using?

    These are just two questions.

    measekite, Dec 31, 2008
  9. Anna Lück

    Anna Lück Guest

    On 31 Dec, 16:54, measekite <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:13:18 -0500, Mary wrote:
    > > "measekite" <> wrote in message

    > >> That information is simply INCORRECT.  I have an IP4000 and it does print
    > >> when a color runs out.  But you can burn out your printhead.  Be sure to
    > >> check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

    > > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
    > > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the time.
    > > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
    > > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer won't
    > > run at all.

    > That is because you do not ask the right questions.
    >
    > An Example:
    >
    > What operating system are you using?
    >
    > What driver are you using?
    >
    > These are just two questions.

    Well, I'm just a silly Windows XP user.
    The driver is the standard one which was also delivered with the
    printer:
    It's version 5.01 for Windows2000/XP, date: 28 April 2005.

    Shall I update it?

    Please let me know what other information you need.

    Anna Lück, Dec 31, 2008
  10. Anna Lück

    Mary Guest

    > >> That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does

    print
    > >> when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure

    > >> check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

    > > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
    > > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the

    time.
    > > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is

    not
    > > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer

    won't
    > > run at all.

    > That is because you do not ask the right questions.
    >
    > An Example:
    >
    > What operating system are you using?
    >
    > What driver are you using?
    >
    > These are just two questions.

    In my case, are you saying that if I used a particular operating system
    and/or a particular driver, I could get my printer to print black text only
    even if one of my colors say the status detector says I have to replace
    yellow cartridge as it is out of ink. Not just low on ink but out of ink.

    Just for information, I use Win XP and drivers that came with the printer.

    Mary

    Mary, Dec 31, 2008
  11. Anna Lück

    Mary Guest

    23:44:35 -0500, Mary wrote:

    > > > "Anna Lück" <> wrote in message

    > > > I've had a Canon IP4000 for two years. It has 3 colours and two black
    > > > cartridges, and if any of the colours run out, it won't work at all. I
    > > > can

    > > That information is simply INCORRECT. I have an IP4000 and it does print
    > > when a color runs out. But you can burn out your printhead. Be sure to
    > > check your color monitor and use Canon OEM ink for best results.

    > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
    > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the

    time.
    > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is not
    > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer

    won't
    > run at all.
    >
    > > 't print black by itself. I think most newer printers are like that
    > > > as far as I know,though there may be some which allow you to print

    black
    > > > only. I find it annoying too, as lots of times I might still want to
    > > > print black only. Its a way for the manufacturer to get you to buy
    > > > cartridges as far as I can see. I also have a Canon IP 1500 which has

    > > That is not true. The Canon IP1500 is such junk that I think one should
    > > put tape over the Canon name if they want to use it.

    > The Canon IP1500 is a great printer. put tape over yourself.
    >
    > > > one black and one

    > > tri colour cartridge, and when the tri colour

    > > Tri color carts are a waste. Just like in the Kodak printers when one
    > > color runs out you need to throw the rest of the ink away.

    > Tri color works fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, the same
    > as you like to give yours.
    >
    > > > cartridge runs out, you can still print with black. So sometimes I use
    > > > it if I have a lot of black to print. I don't know about your yellow
    > > > cartridges having 1/5 left though. My printer gives a warning first

    like
    > > > "ink is low" when you can still print a couple more printings, then
    > > > shows "ink is out" and the printer is disabled..

    > > Only if you use Canon Oem ink.

    > Of course. >:p

    Thank you for your answers.

    Is there a way of getting my current brother printer to print rather
    than
    considering buying other printers? I don't want to spend money on a
    new resp. other printer.

    I would like to know of how to get my brother printer print.

    Some of the others here might be able to give you the answer to what you are
    asking. There are some pretty experienced and helpful people here who have
    helped me in the past. If most of your printing is black text only and you
    do very little color printing, you might be better off with a black only
    laser printer. If it was me, I would look into the cost of the maintaining
    it. I don't know how expensive cartridges (or toner) is for a laser
    printer. I think its a good idea to look into the maintenance cost of
    different printers before buying one. Its not something I thought about too
    much myself, but I would now. I used to use Staples compatible ink
    cartridges and they were ok, but now they are not much cheaper than brand
    name.

    Mary

    Mary, Dec 31, 2008
  12. Anna Lück

    Mary Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > "Mary" <> wrote:
    > snip
    > >>

    > >> That is because you do not ask the right questions.
    > >>
    > >> An Example:
    > >>
    > >> What operating system are you using?
    > >>
    > >> What driver are you using?
    > >>
    > >> These are just two questions.

    > >In my case, are you saying that if I used a particular operating system
    > >and/or a particular driver, I could get my printer to print black text

    only
    > >even if one of my colors say the status detector says I have to replace
    > >yellow cartridge as it is out of ink. Not just low on ink but out of ink.
    > >
    > >Just for information, I use Win XP and drivers that came with the

    printer.

    > >Mary
    > >

    > Mary
    > If that is what he is saying then he is wrong.
    > The status of the ink cartridge in an ip4000 is determined solely by the
    > printer, it has nothing to do with the driver or the operating system. If

    the
    > printer determines that a cartridge is empty it will refuse to print and

    will
    > report that to the driver.
    > With this printer I know of no way to make it print without installing a
    > cartridge that has ink in it. If there was a way to do it you would be

    putting
    > your printhead at risk.
    > I believe the person to whom you responded is being deliberately

    mischievous or
    > worse. He has never got his ip4000 to print with a truly empty cartridge

    unless
    > his printer is faulty or modified.
    > Tony

    So I guess there is no way to get my IP 4000 printer to print black only
    when any other cartridge is empty and reports it is empty, right? I didn't
    think so because when my printer says its out of ink, it becomes disabled
    and won't print at all. I was just making sure. Even though I know measekite
    from the past, very occasionally he says something correct, but doesn't last
    till he rambles again. Deliberately mischievous is right. I hate having to
    replace color carts as I could still use black only till I can get the
    needed cartridge. I sometimes go back to my old IP1500 which WILL work with
    black only. Too bad the new printers weren't like that, but then the
    manufacturers are hoping you will buy more carts. Argghhhhh. Thanks Tony.
    You are always helpful. Nice talking to you again. Happy new year.

    Mary

    Mary, Jan 1, 2009
  13. Anna Lück

    measekite Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:10:32 -0500, Mary wrote:

    > "measekite" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 01:13:18 -0500, Mary wrote:
    >>
    >> > "measekite" <> wrote in message

    > print

    >> > Well, I've never been able to get it to run when it says any of the
    >> > cartridges are "out of ink" and I've used OEM cartridges a lot of the

    > time.
    >> > So I don't know how you can get it to work and I can't. The printer is

    > not
    >> > burned out. Once that sign appears on the status detector, the printer

    > won't
    >> > run at all.

    >> That is because you do not ask the right questions.
    >>
    >> An Example:
    >>
    >> What operating system are you using?
    >>
    >> What driver are you using?
    >>
    >> These are just two questions.

    > In my case, are you saying that if I used a particular operating system
    > and/or a particular driver, I could get my printer to print black text only
    > even if one of my colors say the status detector says I have to replace
    > yellow cartridge as it is out of ink. Not just low on ink but out of ink.
    >
    > Just for information, I use Win XP and drivers that came with the printer.
    >
    > Mary

    > black

    > should
    >> >
    >> > The Canon IP1500 is a great printer. put tape over yourself.

    >> > Tri color works fine. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, the

    > same
    >> > as you like to give yours.

    > use

    > like

    >> > Of course. >:p

    Yes

    The status detector is part of the driver. The driver tells the printer
    what to do. I have to watch by ink supply since I am using a Japanese
    driver that does not support an ink detector under Linux and my IP4000
    will print even thought a color is out. That could burn the printhead if
    I was not careful.

    measekite, Jan 1, 2009
  14. Anna Lück

    measekite Guest

    On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 14:57:29 -0600, Tony wrote:

    > "Mary" <> wrote:
    > snip
    >>>

    >>> That is because you do not ask the right questions.
    >>>
    >>> An Example:
    >>>
    >>> What operating system are you using?
    >>>
    >>> What driver are you using?
    >>>
    >>> These are just two questions.

    >>In my case, are you saying that if I used a particular operating system
    >>and/or a particular driver, I could get my printer to print black text only
    >>even if one of my colors say the status detector says I have to replace
    >>yellow cartridge as it is out of ink. Not just low on ink but out of ink.
    >>
    >>Just for information, I use Win XP and drivers that came with the printer.
    >>
    >>Mary
    >>

    > Mary
    > If that is what he is saying then he is wrong.
    > The status of the ink cartridge in an ip4000 is determined solely by the
    > printer, it has nothing to do with the driver or the operating system. If the
    > printer determines that a cartridge is empty it will refuse to print and will
    > report that to the driver.

    That is what you think.

    > With this printer I know of no way to make it print without installing a
    > cartridge that has ink in it. If there was a way to do it you would be putting
    > your printhead at risk.

    I NEED TO WATCH MY INK SUPPLY TO ENSURE THAT IT DOES NOT RUN DRY AND BURN
    THE HEAD.

    > I believe the person to whom you responded is being

    deliberately
    > mischievous or worse. He has never got his ip4000 to print with a truly

    YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP.

    I will bet you know nothing about Linux and foreign drivers.

    measekite, Jan 1, 2009
  15. Although I do not know the specifics, many inkjet printers with
    permanent heads require all the ink cartridges be installed and contain
    enough ink or they will not print. The reason is because the heads can
    clog if left without ink in them, and with some semi-permanent thermal
    heads, the head can burn out if run without ink.

    I think Brother inkjet printers use piezo printheads, meaning the head
    isn't likely to burn out if run without ink, but it very well might clog
    the head quite badly.

    Art

    If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
    I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

    http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

    Arthur Entlich, Jan 1, 2009
  16. The Canon printer you mentioned uses semi-permanent heads and it can
    indeed be damaged by running the printer with no ink running through one
    or more colors.

    To protect the head from damage, it simply won;t print without all inks
    in place.

    Arthur Entlich, Jan 1, 2009
  17. A few considerations:

    A number of inkjet printers are capable of printing black and white, or
    even greyscale documents with just the black ink (some Epson printers
    offer this option, as do some HP). Some Canon printers use a pigment
    ink black cartridge just for use with text or black and white only
    documents.

    I believe some models of HP printers can continue printing in black only
    even if the color cartridge is run out or removed from the printer.
    These printers have "disposable" cartridges with the head incorporated.
    Some older Canon can do the same. I don;t know about other thermal
    products like Lexmark.

    Arthur Entlich, Jan 1, 2009
  18. Anna Lück

    Mary Guest

    "Tony" <> wrote in message
    > "Mary" <> wrote:
    > >"measekite" <> wrote in message

    black

    all.

    > >print

    sure

    > >time.

    is
    > >not

    printer
    > >won't
    > >>

    > >> That is because you do not ask the right questions.
    > >>
    > >> An Example:
    > >>
    > >> What operating system are you using?
    > >>
    > >> What driver are you using?
    > >>
    > >> These are just two questions.

    > >In my case, are you saying that if I used a particular operating system
    > >and/or a particular driver, I could get my printer to print black text

    only
    > >even if one of my colors say the status detector says I have to replace
    > >yellow cartridge as it is out of ink. Not just low on ink but out of ink.
    > >
    > >Just for information, I use Win XP and drivers that came with the

    printer.

    > >Mary

    > >black

    has

    > >should

    one

    > >same

    > >use

    yellow

    first
    > >like

    then

    > Mary
    > Be very careful. This man is deliberately trying to mislead you. The

    printer
    > will indicate ink out even if it has never been connected to a computer.

    Any
    > driver, Japanese or otherwise, cannot possibly overide the printer; that

    is
    > simply not possible. This is deliberate design by the manufacturer to

    prevent
    > damage to the printhead if one of the cartridges is dry.
    > I think you would be wise to ignore this person, his history in this and

    many
    > other newsgroups is one of deliberately doing harm. A weasel of a man and
    > unfortunately clever enough to mislead 0.0001% of the people who read his

    posts.
    > I wish you a happy and fulfilled year and lots of great prints.

    Tony, don't worry. I know him from the times I've been around here before.
    He's got nothing better to do. I know his reputation. I don't always
    download this group, but sometimes I check here. I would like a printer
    which would let me print back only like the original OP, as I use black more
    than color, but I sometimes print photos so want color as well,
    but besides possible damage to the printhead, I think manufacturers want you
    to buy lots of ink carts where they make their profit. I always hoped they
    would make printers which cost more to buy but have cartridges much cheaper
    than now. A lot of people buy new printers rather than pay for cartridges
    for old printer, but when you think of it, if you do that, you are back to
    the same position once the new printer is out of ink. Also, its very bad for
    environment to throw so many printers. I ordered compatible cartridges from
    Abacus which Lou from this group told me about a while back. They seem to be
    OK for now. I've been thinking about those 4 in 1 printers, but wouldn't a
    multifunction printer take even more ink cartridges for printing,
    photocopying, faxing,scanning than a regular printer. I wouldn't use a fax
    or copy much anyway, and I have a scanner, but those multifunction printers
    have come down a lot in price. Its just a thought.

    Mary

    Mary, Jan 1, 2009
  19. Anna Lück

    Mary Guest

    "Arthur Entlich" <> wrote in message
    > The Canon printer you mentioned uses semi-permanent heads and it can
    > indeed be damaged by running the printer with no ink running through one
    > or more colors.
    >
    > To protect the head from damage, it simply won;t print without all inks
    > in place.

    Yes, you can't run my printer without all cartridges in place even if you
    wanted to. It becomes disabled if not all inks are in place and refuses to
    budge.

    Mary

    Mary, Jan 1, 2009
  20. Anna Lück

    measekite Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 02:30:56 -0600, Tony wrote:

    > "Mary" <> wrote:
    >>"measekite" <> wrote in message

    >>print

    >>time.

    >>not

    >>won't
    >>>

    >>> That is because you do not ask the right questions.
    >>>
    >>> An Example:
    >>>
    >>> What operating system are you using?
    >>>
    >>> What driver are you using?
    >>>
    >>> These are just two questions.

    >>In my case, are you saying that if I used a particular operating system
    >>and/or a particular driver, I could get my printer to print black text only
    >>even if one of my colors say the status detector says I have to replace
    >>yellow cartridge as it is out of ink. Not just low on ink but out of ink.
    >>
    >>Just for information, I use Win XP and drivers that came with the printer.
    >>
    >>Mary

    >>black

    >>should

    >>same

    >>use

    >>like

    > Mary
    > Be very careful. This man is deliberately trying to mislead you. The printer
    > will indicate ink out even if it has never been connected to a computer. Any
    > driver, Japanese or otherwise, cannot possibly overide the printer; that is
    > simply not possible. This is deliberate design by the manufacturer to prevent
    > damage to the printhead if one of the cartridges is dry.
    > I think you would be wise to ignore this person, his history in this and many
    > other newsgroups is one of deliberately doing harm. A weasel of a man and
    > unfortunately clever enough to mislead 0.0001% of the people who read his posts.
    > I wish you a happy and fulfilled year and lots of great prints.
    > Tony
    > Tony
    > MS MVP Printing Image

    All I can say is that I ran out of yellow. The tank was empty and bone
    dry. I still was able to print. Fortunately I did notice it as I check
    the tanks on a schedule and change the yellow tank. I am still printing
    and did not burn the head.

    I do not know about other models that have chips.

    measekite, Jan 1, 2009