Arctic Coolin...Which One?!

Reaction score
Hi There.

I have been contemplating purchasing an Arctic Cooling cooler for my Sapphire Pro Atlantis ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb.

There are, however, two suitable products on the market at this point in time and i am rather confused as to which one i should choose.

My options are:
Arctic Cooling Rev.3 VGA Silencer

product_vga_silencer.jpg

Or

Arctic Cooling Rev.4 ATI 1 (9600/9700/9800) VGA Silencer
ATI1.jpg

I would imagine that the newer revision 4 would do the job better? Am i correct in thinking this?

Any help Appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'd go for the bigger one, the Rev3, it says its for 9800XT, but thats virtually the same as the 9800 pro. Its alot bigger and looks like it has more copper.

ATI3.jpg

I have the top old one, with the blue fan, it does the business and is very quiet, even more quite than the Ati reference cooler!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Leaning towards revision 4... It provides some memory cooling unlike the revision 3... more overclock.

Have read about r i d i c u l o u s speeds (near 100MHz) being achieved from 9800pros with these (in addition to the stock speeds)

hmmm...

Also considering a Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler too - to replace the whiney little orb fan on my IC7-G

NB47J.jpg

Read VERY good things about this... at £5.20 inc VAT with thermal compound and fixing kit i think its a bargain. opinions?

oh...also going to get a 92mm fan for my SP-94 and a PCI slot cooler and take out some 80mm fans from case...

you guessed it...

want quiet computer :)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
So ya dont reckon the Rev 3 wont fit, but the Rev 4 will?!?!?! Makes no sense boy!

Anyway, im getting the Rev 3, and some ram sinks soon, there from overclockers, and there fairly pricey, 8 For £11 without p&p. But i reckon me radeon deserves it, its had a rough life ;).
VantecBGAramsinks.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
no, the one you posted a picture of, i dont think that will fit as its made specifically for the XT 256mb...

I think i will order the Revision 4 as it cools memory too - something the revision 3 can not do!

And the zalman and some Arctic Ceramiquie... (much cheaper than but on a par with AS5)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have two Rev 3.0 Arctic coolers fitted, both to 9800 Pro's, one a Powercolour, the other ATI's own.

They're quiet, they do a good cooling job.

As for the Rev 4.0, I have no idea, one would assume it would do a better job, but that's not always the case, is it?

And is it just as quiet?

So, in short, dunno mate ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Ordered.

The Revision 4
The Zalman passive sink
Arctic Ceramique Compound
Be sure to let us know what you think of them after they've arrived and you've fitted them :)

Kye

Reaction score
why would one want better cooling on the motheboard chipset thingy? its not a thing you would overclock, and it runs stable with the ickle heatsink or fan that it comes with.

Reaction score
All overclocking actually goes through the Northbridge so it is affected.

I want it to get rid of the high pitched squeal and rattling the fan makes...

Kye

Reaction score
i googled too find stuff about Arctic Cooling related stuff and it led me here.

i want a nvidia 6800/ 6800GT/ 6800ultra arctic cooling rev.4. problem is, im scared about how complicated it might be taking off the reference cooling one and installing this one in its place.

i have the tools! its just a matter of knowing how much better it will cool, and also how easy it is too install.

im all for hardship, but the card cost me £210. its my baby child, and i dont want too cause it harm.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kye said:
i googled too find stuff about Arctic Cooling related stuff and it led me here.

i want a nvidia 6800/ 6800GT/ 6800ultra arctic cooling rev.4. problem is, im scared about how complicated it might be taking off the reference cooling one and installing this one in its place.

i have the tools! its just a matter of knowing how much better it will cool, and also how easy it is too install.

im all for hardship, but the card cost me £210. its my baby child, and i dont want too cause it harm.
OK, assuming your existing heatsink/fan isn't 'glued' to the video card chipset, here's briefly what you do:

Pop the two lugs securing the existing cooler to the chipset, remove fan connector from card, and remove cooler.

Clean off old heat compound from chipset using clean cloth (preferably lint free) and meths or isopropyl alcohol. And cotton buds as well , if that helps.

Apply a level of heat sink compound (Arctic Silver V5.0 is good) to the graphics chipset.

Plug the Arctic cooler fan connector plug to the graphics board.

Place the cooler in place.

Locate the two captive bolts in the plastic retaining bracket from the rear of the card, through the two mounting holes, into the cooler.

Tighten each bolt in turn, sequentially, until firm, but not over-tight.

Refit your video card and note how much cooler and quieter it's running :)

If, however, your existing cooler is fixed to the chipset with adhesive, it can be removed, but it's at your own risk, you could damage the core if you're unlucky.

Reaction score
I learnt where to get Lint Free cloths...

Those "Screene Clean" wipes? with the two sachets - one wet cloth one dry one, the dry one is lint free.

fitting it is easy peasy, see my review. 6800 will be tad diffferent though

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For lint free cloth, also see those cloths used for cleaning spectacles.

Buy one or nick it out of your old man's glasses case :D

Reaction score
haha!

sure he'd be dead impressed when he finds a nice layer of micronised silver across his lens that he was trying to clean!

;) good plan

Kye

Reaction score
is it ok for the stuff too be that messy like in your review? what if some if oozing out from the sides? is that ok?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kye said:
is it ok for the stuff too be that messy like in your review? what if some if oozing out from the sides? is that ok?
Well it's obviously working OK :)

Myself, I apply a little less, and spread it out more evenly.

A very thin, even layer is the desired state. The thermal compound is only designed to even up the irregularities in both surfaces, after all.

It is not the cream filling in a sponge cake ;)

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Kye said:
The compound/cooling paste is just designed to fill in all the little impurities on the face of the core and the part of the heatsink that will be touching the core. You only really need to put enough on so you cant see the core shining through. Something like 0.00001mm thick layer! You want as best contact from the core to the heatsink as possible, not a thick layer of comound/cooling paste.

Get the Artic Silver 5 cooling paste, its pretty pricey but it is the best out there, no doubt about that. Its around £7 for the tiny tube, but that lasts long for a single user ;).
thermalcompounds.jpg

Ask a Question