American carnage

Status
Not open for further replies.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
bigOz said:
I loved England during the 1970's and early 80's when the police were visible in the streets, patrolling on foot with nothing but a truncheon! Except the occasional armed robberies (some of which were actually carried out with imitation firearms) gun crime was a small fraction of what is going on today.

:rolleyes:
John was born in 1958
Not sure what decade it was when he was 12... something to do with peace & love...
In the year when his best friend was shot (also 12) while they were out on a school trip
one bullet
through the head
by total strangers.
John was fourteen when he was shot in the back at school
by a couple of kids he didn't know from a year above him.
Again total strangers.
funny thing
whila all this was going on in john's school
his Dad was one of those coppers out & about visible on the streets.
England
in the 60's & 70's
They weren't using imitation firearms where John lived.

Reaction score
My whole college and uni life extended between 1970 and 1980 IN LONDON! Is that a song you quoted form or is it from the news? Do you have any links or quotes to this story (or an actual year)?

Whatever, I never said crime was non existent. Compared to levels of street and gun crime of today it was a very small fraction! I do not believe anyone can really dispute that.

I was one of the lucky ones who really had fun going out to pubs and discos in those great times where peoiple showed more respect to each other and really enjoyed themselves. Of course there were the occasional figthts but usually they were nothing more than few punches thrown about between boys!

I follow what is going on with the evening life at the moment and God help those who have the courage to go out!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By bigOz
I follow what is going on with the evening life at the moment and God help those who have the courage to go out!

I agree ...todays society is different...kinda more aggressive !!! maybe its keeping up with todays hectic lifestyles ??

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I still go out in the evening in SE London, so far, touch wood, I haven't been mugged, shot, knifed or raped....

The 'good old days' are a myth - there has always been violence.

I can remember being offered shooters back in the seventies and if I really wanted to I could lay my hands on one now but have never been interested. And besides, it's illegal.

As for the thread going off topic - my comments related to the assertion that 'guns are only manufactured for one purpose and that is to kill' or similar wording.

I've been thinking about that and on second thoughts it does actually hold true to a degree but I would still argue that a militia armed with guns won't be threatened or conquered by a militia armed with sticks and stones, or even guns for that matter, if their numbers are higher and their training is good.

Reaction score
A few years ago I sat through a 2 hour 'informal' lecture on the result of damage caused to the body by firearms. Everything from kneecapping, to accidental discharge by farmers, to soldiers shooting to kill.
It was a real eye opener & some of the photos were very graphical.
It installed in all of us that went to the lecture that guns kill & some people will die a very painful death!

Last edited:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Flops

I still go out in the evening in SE London, so far, touch wood, I haven't been mugged, shot, knifed or raped....

South East London conjures up graphic gangster terrain and more !! it is not where you live, but which places to avoid and these no go areas become bigger and bigger up to the point where tentacles of hate , greed and profit spread to neighbourhoods..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rush said:
By Flops

South East London conjures up graphic gangster terrain and more !! it is not where you live, but which places to avoid and these no go areas become bigger and bigger up to the point where tentacles of hate , greed and profit spread to neighbourhoods..

Oh dear dear dear, methinks some peeps read too much Daily Mail :rolleyes:

As far as I know, there are no no-go areas where I live. Also none in SW London, which takes in Brixton, Clapham & Wandsworth.

In fact, if you look at crime figures relating to population per square mile, London is actually very low on the crime scale. London has a big population, we're crammed in like sardines here. But it's lively, it's cosmopolitan, it's buzzing.

We all manage to get on with each other for the most part, we bloody well have to really.

There is more violent crime in the outlying towns, Aldershot, Basingstoke, Worthing, Winchester, Dorking, wherever.

It's probably because they're bored, them towns are dead :D

I would rather walk the back streets of Woolwich or Brixton than many other major UK towns, it really ain't so bad.

If anything, I feel safer now than I did in the seventies, I do have a couple of stories from back then when I was actually threatened, and both of those threatenings constituted racism.

That just don't seem to happen so much anymore, it really doesn't. The West Indian immigrants from the 50's & 60's are now third and fourth generation and very very British. They have integrated. Same goes for all the Indian and Pakistani origin people here.

Whatever, I'm wandering off subject and making this a race thing, which it shouldn't be, really, sorry, just thinking out loud.

Now, where was I? :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
bigOz said:
My whole college and uni life extended between 1970 and 1980 IN LONDON! Is that a song you quoted form or is it from the news? Do you have any links or quotes to this story (or an actual year)?

John is my husband
He grew up on Merseyside.
He was born in 1958
& he was 12 when it happened
Do the math.

I'll give you the benifit of the doubt & choose to believe that you are genuinely curious,
rather than that you're calling me a liar.

Oh, if you're wanting to verify the time he was shot you'll have to come over & see the scar on his back.
As far as I know that one didn't even make the news.
Although he did get told off for ruining his anorak & getting blood all over his clothes.

edit: John says he would love to take you for a walk around the bullrings in Liverpool.
Even the police wouldn't go there.
Or the Piggeries.
in the 1970's
Whoops, John's getting a bit het up over this now.
I don't think he likes you calling him a liar either.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Now, where was I?
Hyde Park Corner, on a soapbox. ;)

Can I just say ...

No matter where in the World you may live, unstable individuals such as this nutter in the US will easily get hold of anything they need, be it guns, knives or explosives, and carry out their carnage at will no matter what Laws are in place.

History is full of it ... it will not stop.

Have a nice day. :wave:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
muckshifter said:

Can I just say ...

No matter where in the World you may live, unstable individuals such as this nutter in the US will easily get hold of anything they need, be it guns, knives or explosives, and carry out their carnage at will no matter what Laws are in place.

History is full of it ... it will not stop.

Have a nice day. :wave:

Too true.
unfortunately.
& in the end that's all we can do :)
Have a good day :wave:
Have a good life :)

Reaction score
Very sad & another shooting yesterday at NASA.
I have a few shotguns & a pump-action, but all kept in 2 very secure gun box's.
Both stored in another metal gun room, only need 4 keys to get in!
Ammo is stored elsewhere for added protection!!

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Just viewed his rantings on you tube...its astonishing

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:

Hehe, may as well be eh? ;)

These threads worry me a little really.

Here at PC Review there's an underlying unwritten ethos that we try and avoid subjects where we're liable to have disagreements, such as politics and religion.

This is one such thread.

Some feel passionate about these subjects, we all have our own point of view and sometimes, be it just mild reasoned debate or out and out argument, we can sometimes change our view of those forum members we have come to regard as friends.

Which is a bit of a shame really cos if it was 'real life' and you was having the same discussion with a friend or friends, you'd likely harbour no resentment.

But Forums are different, it is so easy to misinterpret another members meanings, especially from those who may not express themselves too well having only text as a communication medium.

I should really avoid passing comment really, but some things are like a red rag to a bull to me - I just gotta spout off and say what I think :D

Anyways, Mucks is right, society in general in most 'Westernised' parts of the world do, for the most part, get along ok but we're always going to get a loony pop out of the woodwork now and again and go on a killing spree, that's been happening since homo sapien could walk upright.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... and with that, I hereby close this thread.

I value my "friends" here on PCReview ... I don't normally post to these discussions except to keep an eye on them.

Therefore I think we can conclude this "discussion" closed ... until the next time. ;)

:user:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question