Aldi laptop any good ?

Reaction score
I normally use a USB keyboard with my laptop, but have just tried to use its own keyboard, only to find that keys 7 8 9 0 u i o p j k l ; m . all of which have blue characters on them them that correspond to a numeric pad are all working as a numeric pad and I have to hold the Fn key down to make them work.

This is obviously a function of the keyboard, but how do I get it back to normal usage?

Reaction score
:confused: I'm a bit of a novice at all this but bought the Aldi laptop and am very pleased with it. The only thing I have noticed is that the battery does not last the advertised 6 hours, though I think that the more usual 4 hours is still very good.
I hope someone can help me with a more general question. I've no idea how to go about setting up it's wireless facility. Basically, I've got an old Pentium 3 Windows 98 PC hooked up to Blueyonder Broadband. Basically, I want to leave this in place for my son but be able to utilise the internet myself using the new laptop wirelessly. I don't know where to start, as someone told me that it would not be straightforward as the existing PVC is not Windows XP. Having seen the variety of routers, ethernet connections, etc on sale in PC World, etc, I am even more confused about what I need to buy - and what I need to do when I've bought it! Can anyone explain in very simple terms what I need to do, or direct me to a more appropriate thread or website that will help me understand? Many thanks.

Reaction score
Problem of keyboard cured. For anyone else who finds the numeric pad functions working, teh toggle is FN + Ins this toggles the numeric pad keys on and off. I am obviously overtired if I could not find that earlier.

Hope my bungle saves someone else a brief moment of panic. :blush:

Reaction score
kenwar said:
:confused: I'm a bit of a novice at all this but bought the Aldi laptop and am very pleased with it. The only thing I have noticed is that the battery does not last the advertised 6 hours, though I think that the more usual 4 hours is still very good.
I hope someone can help me with a more general question. I've no idea how to go about setting up it's wireless facility. Basically, I've got an old Pentium 3 Windows 98 PC hooked up to Blueyonder Broadband. Basically, I want to leave this in place for my son but be able to utilise the internet myself using the new laptop wirelessly. I don't know where to start, as someone told me that it would not be straightforward as the existing PVC is not Windows XP. Having seen the variety of routers, ethernet connections, etc on sale in PC World, etc, I am even more confused about what I need to buy - and what I need to do when I've bought it! Can anyone explain in very simple terms what I need to do, or direct me to a more appropriate thread or website that will help me understand? Many thanks.
I have just spent a total of 3 hours sorting mine out. The first ADSL Router I bought was made by ADDON and it talked to the PC, but not the internet. I took it back to the shop and got a refund and bought a Netgear ADSL Router (try www.broadbandbuyer.com for good deals).
This was very simple to set up using the wizards and I was up and running in 15 mins. on ethernet, the wireless took about 15 mins. but you MUST set up your encription if you want to avoid others gaining access to your system. This can take a little loger, but even that is not too difficult, just follow the on screen promts.
I chose the highest recommended level to set up the router and then, when setting up the wireless function on the laptop, you use exactly the same keyword and away you go.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
kenwar said:
Hi, I use Blueyonder Cable and have set up my PC and Aldi laptop wirelessly using Belkin equipment so here goes:

Firstly because you use a cable internet connection as opposed to a phone line, you need a Cable Gateway Router NOT an ADSL Router.
You can go to the Belkin website ( http://www.belkin.com ) and they have various very helpful Wizards which you input what you are trying to achieve, and they suggest the equipment and model numbers you need. Also there is a downloadable video set-up demo you can look at.
I use a Belkin F5D7230uk4 Wireless Cable Router, You connect the cable that currently goes from the Blueyonder Cable Modem to the back of your PC into the Router, and then you connect another cable from the Router into the back of your PC.
When you switch on, the Router SHOULD detect your Cable Internet settings and connect with the PC.
However, as you use Windows 98, and I use XP, I'm not sure how well that is set-up for Networking, I'm sure someone on here can help you on that.
Once you have the PC internet connection running correctly, you switch on your Laptop, activate the wireless and then click on the Intel Pro-wireless (via Start/Programs or on the icon on the right side of the toolbar). You then should find it detects that there is a wireless network present, if you use the Belkin it will show as 'Belkin54g' click on connect and off you go.
Thats the easy part, what you then need to do is set-up your wireless network security to stop others hacking in. On your PC you need to access your Routers setup, so you go to the web and tap in http://192.168.2.1/ and this brings up your set-up page. You need to then need to create a login password (by default there isnt one) to stop others getting to your setup page, and then setup at least 128-bit encription for your wireless.

At this point I'm going to stop, as it starts to get a little complicated, but I hope you get the drift. When you get to that stage I'm more than happy for you to contact me and I'll give you a hand.

You can get this sort of equipment from PC World, Comet etc, or just search online. As previously stated www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk is a good place to go, they have very helpful support forums.
As regards wireless speeds, I would stick with standard 54g, it will be more than fast enough.

Re the 6 hours battery life, that will be under test conditions, with no programs running, wireless off, power-saving options at its most energy efficient etc. In the real world your never going to achieve that.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
its unusual for Aldi to cut the price of one of their laptops and so soon after the first time around. it may never happen again. its unlikely they will sell another laptop until at least after easter now. keep an eye on the specials on Aldi and Lidl websites.

Reaction score
i too bought a netgrear wireless router to connect to my telewest cable broadband, it setup really easily. i highly recommend netgear for this type of equipment. you can get them from Amazon UK. one problem, i didn't assign a password when i set mine up so therefore have created an open hotspot for the neightbours to take advantage of! ive heard its a bit tricky to set this up later on. can anyone advise on what i need to do? sometimes my connection goes really slow its only 256k but is fine usually. when it does slow im wondering who else might be using it!

Reaction score
just got news from my geriom repairman in london. my drive was the wrong one! he has ordered a new drive which should arrive by monday latest. so i was right in my assessment. seems mad they can put the wrong drive in. just goes to show you must test new laptops etc when you get them and not find out months later there is a problem.

Reaction score
I have found and scanned some advertisements for the gericom laptop, you can view and copy them from:

Aldi Massive Sale
http://snitterfield.com/gericom/aldi-gericom-sale.jpg

Computer Active review
http://snitterfield.com/gericom/active-review.jpg

Computer Active Aldi ad page1
http://snitterfield.com/gericom/active-ad-p1.jpg

Computer Active Aldi ad page2
http://snitterfield.com/gericom/active-ad-p2.jpg

I notice on the aldi sale flyer that it has an "internal microphone connection" what does this mean? it has an internal mic or one can be fitted or what? anyone know? i tested for internal mic and nothing worked?

Reaction score
Well, they finished selling this laptop, can anyone speculate what their next laptop will have? Or will they just re-sell this one at Easter?

Reaction score
the next one will be different and better im sure. be interesting to see if aldi stick with using gericom.

Reaction score
does anyone here do their weekly shopping in Aldi?

Always been a Tescos/Sainsburys man myself! with the odd Marks and Spencers!!!:)

Reaction score
my touch pad stopped working but i made a boot disk that updated the bios like others have and it fixed poroblem no worries

Reaction score
hi all... the odd key on key board got to press correct might just me ....by the way fs1e is ME on other site (GOT IT OFF THIS SITE THANKS TO M ) link see ya all

Reaction score
When is the New Laptop comming out? Is it the new Gericom? It better be! The Medion is exactly the same as last year, but the Gericom aldi were selling in Austria had 533FSB+6600go...

Reaction score
has anyone with a gericom laptop tried using the s-video output? i have just got a lead set with s-video lead and audio lead. the audio works fine but i cant get any picture.

Reaction score
S-video output on Gericom

robonz said:
has anyone with a gericom laptop tried using the s-video output? i have just got a lead set with s-video lead and audio lead. the audio works fine but i cant get any picture.

Hi Robonz,

I have now got the s-video working fine. I originally got some leads from Maplin which didn't have an audio and I only got a black and white image. Well after a bit of searching I found the answer here:
http://www.computerbase.co.uk
Look under cables and connecting to TV. I ended up buying the 10m kit which wasn't cheap but they seem to know their stuff and delivered next day. I thought it was worth it to ensure it worked - and it does. It comes with an adapter which plugs into the s-video socket to get around the B&W problem,audio and an s-video to 3 phono cables with a scart adaptor which should cover most options. It also has a double adaptor for the sound at the laptop so I can get sound from my creative subwoofer and speakers connected to the laptop as well as from the TV speakers to give a pseudo surround sound which works well.
If you have a pop-up blocker it does seem to cause a problem for their website ordering but a phone call was quick and painless - hope that helps!
Let me know if you have any other questions,

Other things to make sure are that you have set up the display to work with the telly as a second screen and that you select UK as the tv type

Chris.

Ask a Question