Opinion On A Laptop Please

Reaction score
Could I get anyone's opinion on this laptop I am thinking of buying? I'd appreciate it. I'm using this for gaming and school. I'm looking to buy one that will actually play today's latest games and be ready for future ones. Not the extremes, like BioShock or Two Worlds. Casual stuff like The Settlers, Flight Simulator, etc.

Here is the current customization.

Dell Inspiron 1520
Color-Jet Black

Processor-Trying to decide between the Intel Core 2 Duo T7250 (2.0GHz/2MB cache) or Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz/4MB cache) Would there be any noticable difference in speed with a 4MB cache instead of a 2MB? Or would that be a waste of money?

OS-Vista Home Premium

Display-Can't decide between a 1280x800 glossy widescreen or a 1440x900 high definition widescreen. What would you take?

Graphics Card-Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

Memory-Either 2GB or 3GB. How much memory does Vista hog up when using Aero?

Hard Drive-Either a 80GB SATA 5400RPM driver or a 120GB SATA 7200RPM drive. Would the RPM make any noticable difference in performance?

Internal Optical Drive-CD Writer/DVD Writer (DVD+/-RW Drive)

Wireless Network-DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS

Mobile Broadband-DON'T CARE ABOUT THIS

Battery-85Whr 9 cell Lithlium Ion Battery

Sound-Express Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Sound Card

Price ranged from $1,400-$1,600. That's steep, for me. Is it just me, or is this WAAAAY too much?

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Observations:

MS Flight Simulator is graphically intensive.

Most of us are UK here and are not really familiar with how much things cost in The States but I do know computers and computer components are cheaper across the pond.

Processor speed: Consider your budget, you won't notice a great deal of difference between 2Ghz & 2.2Ghz.

The faster hard drive would make a difference in everyday use - go for it.

Apparently the Sound Blaster X-Fi Audio Extreme isn't a true X-Fi card. I know, I have one and I found out the hard way although to my ears it sounds great, definitely superior to an Audigy 2. I would assume you're using an external set of speakers with the laptop?

All the other points I either don't know or don't have an opinion either way.

Try and see the displays side by side and go for whatever you prefer the look of.

Reaction score
Well, like I said, I'm looking for one that will actually run today's applications and games. Not the REALLY graphically intensive ones. If that makes sense. And this current customization seems like it would work. Especially the graphics card.

I believe the price in pounds would be £671---£767.

No comments on the memory? That's the big jump in price I am concerned about.

It comes with 1GB standard. 2GB will bump that up £40.01. And 3GB will cost £59 more than that.

It doesn't sound like this is very expensive in British pounds..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
GuyWithAProblem said:
Well, like I said, I'm looking for one that will actually run today's applications and games. Not the REALLY graphically intensive ones. If that makes sense. And this current customization seems like it would work. Especially the graphics card.

I believe the price in pounds would be £671---£767.

No comments on the memory? That's the big jump in price I am concerned about.

It comes with 1GB standard. 2GB will bump that up £40.01. And 3GB will cost £59 more than that.

It doesn't sound like this is very expensive in British pounds..

Right then, let's take this currency thing, like I said, it's kinda hard to make a comparison cos you can't actually rely on a straight currency conversion, it don't work like that.

Here's an example:

$100.00 = £50.00 straight currency conversion.

American graphics card costs $200.00 same card in UK costs £200.00.

Yes, it's that different.

Now try first converting dollar sales straight to uk pounds, then converting the uk pounds to dollars (in short, double the price from there to here).

Now perhaps you see why it's so awkward to compare.

I'm really not up on laptops but if it was a desktop PC I'd say go for 2Gb of memory, no question.

Reaction score
Oh well, I did my best.:p

Thanks for your opinion. Now I'm waiting on it.:)

I wonder if I still have some cash left to get something to eat?

Reaction score
I would get the best I could money wise and for what I am getting, live with no regrets,hope your laptop works out and you end up with one great kickass one.

Reaction score
pcgeek said:
I would get the best I could money wise and for what I am getting, live with no regrets,hope your laptop works out and you end up with one great kickass one.
Er, your answering a post thats 11 months old!

Ask a Question