Aldi laptop any good ?

Reaction score
Hi,

[Edited to add Specifications, update Works Suite 2004 and SpeedStep info.]

My brother bought one of the £799 Aldi laptops the other day, so I thought I would write some info/details here. I no longer have access to it, hence some of what follows is pretty vague.

Overall it seems a very good deal, especially with the two-year warranty and bundled software. I'd definitely consider buying one myself.

The model is Gericom EGO-MS1003. Downloads can be accessed from the Gericom web site www.gericom.com

It appears to be a rebadged MSI M510C (or M510A) laptop. For info on those go to http://www.msi.com.tw/
The BIOS will be slightly different since a Gericom logo is displayed at startup. I don't know whether the MSI BIOS can be used with the Gericom laptop. Trying to flash it with an MSI BIOS would probably void your warranty.

It's surprising Aldi don't mention the bundled software, which includes:
Microsoft Works Suite 2004 on DVD, OEM version. (This is a bundle consisting of Word 2002, Works 7.0, Picture It! Photo Premium 9.0, Encarta Encyclopedia Standard 2004,
Money 2004 Standard, Streets & Trips 2004)
A video editing package and a CD/DVD writing package from Pinnacle Systems (preloaded and on CD-ROM)
CyberLink PowerDVD 5
Norton Antivirus, preloaded, maybe on CD as well
A recovery CD-ROM
The preloaded OS is Windows XP Home SP1 with various fixes.

Specifications:
Intel® Pentium® M processor 735 (1.7Ghz) - 90nm "Dothan" CPU
Multi Format DVD Burner DVD-+ R/RW - made by QSI
Intel PRO/WIRELESS LAN 2200 b/g
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 with 128MB
High resolution 15.1" SXGA+ Display - panel made by Sanyo
80 GB Hard disk - Toshiba 4200rpm
512 MB DDR RAM 333MHz - as two 256MB SODIMMs
4 in 1 Card Reader - for SD/MMC/Memory Stick/SmartMedia cards
PCMCIA slot
Soundsystem 2 internal speakers, internal microphone connection
3x USB 2.0 - two on rear, one on right side
Firewire IEEE1394 - one port on rear
Parallel port
VGA-Out, Mic-In, Line-Out, TV-Out (s-video)
56k Modem V.90 and fast ethernet 10/100Mbit LAN (includes telephone cable)
Battery: Smart Li-Ion battery (8 cells)

As someone else mentioned, there is a protective plastic film on the top of the lid. Once that's removed the top is very shiny.

The laptop seems quite sturdily built. According to the MSI web site, it uses a magnesium/aluminium alloy chassis; I assume the Gericom model is the same. MSI quote a weight of 2.9kg, but I didn't weigh it myself. It doesn't feel too heavy. The keyboard action is fairly nice, less "mushy" than some others. It doesn't flex/bend in the middle much as you type.

Screen:
Uses a Sanyo 15" 1400x1050 panel. Not bad at all, with a good response time. Viewing angle could be better I suppose, but for the price you can't complain. I was mostly looking at it from one side, since my brother was at the keyboard. This particular unit has one bad (always on) blue subpixel. My brother isn't bothered enough about that to return it.

Storage:
Hard disk is an 80GB (probably 4200rpm) Toshiba unit. It would be nice to have a faster HD, but again, considering the price it's an acceptable compromise. The DVD +/- writer is made by QSI. At least some other units (see other messages in this thread) seem to have a DVD-ROM (not writer) drive installed by mistake. To check which you have, you can view the drive's properties in the System control panel.

Memory/upgrades:
Both memory slots are filled with 256MB SODIMMs. Expanding the memory above 512MB will involve replacing one or both existing SODIMMs. Memory, hard disk and CPU upgrades need to be done by someone approved by Gericom or the warranty will be voided. (There are warranty seals underneath the laptop.)

SpeedStep problem:
I originally thought there was an issue with this laptop's SpeedStep support, but this
probably isn't the case. In order to fully understand the various settings, see page 70 of the user manual PDF file (URL is below). Also, assuming it's compatible with this laptop, installing SpeedswitchXP is highly recommended. You can change SpeedStep settings easily using that.

BIOS update:
This particular laptop's BIOS is dated June 2004, but one from August can be downloaded from Gericom's web site. There is no change log, so I don't know what fixes are in the later version. There is also a keyboard BIOS update available, which may fix trackpad/mouse problems that someone else mentioned.

The BIOS updates on the Gericom site are floppy disk images, which seems a little odd considering the laptop has no floppy drive. I hate to think how inexperienced users will cope with updating their BIOS. The warranty is voided if you "break" the computer with a failed BIOS update. So if you need to update, I suggest you call Gericom first. (I expect they would tell you to go ahead if necessary, since the alternative -- getting them to collect, update and return the laptop under warranty -- will cost them money.)

Manual:
There is a 10-page guide in the box. A larger manual is probably on the hard disk and recovery CD, or can be downloaded from Gericom's site at http://download.gericom.com/NOTEBOOK/EGO-MS1003/MANUAL/USERMANUAL/ego-manual(en).pdf

Warranty and insurance:
There is a two year collect-and-return warranty, plus two years of "all risk" insurance. Be sure to check the terms & conditions on the Gericom web site if the included 2-year insurance is important to you. There is an excess, and the maximum payout decreases by 1/36th of the purchase price each month.

If anyone has any other questions about it, let me know.

-- M

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
robonz said:
everest is great and confirms the driver is the one i mentioned before being DVD-ROM thou it says RW on the outside of drive. if i uninstall this driver and reboot you reckon it will reinstall it? if it reinstalls the DVD-ROM then it looks like i've been short changed and it needs to go back to Aldi.
You don't un-install the 'driver' you use "Device Manager" and un-install the drive itself, then reboot.

What did Everest call the drive?

Reaction score
:cool: hi== mine says rewritable dvd not wrote one yet=but says in windows explorer that thare are 2 drives (try tick) box in software =which drive to be used

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
robonz said:
everest says it a QSI DVD-ROM SDR-083

thanks flapjack for your info.
Then I'm sorry to say it is a ROM drive not a re-writer. :(

Reaction score
its looking like its only a ROM drive isn't it. i emailed gericom and was told to use there helpdesk at

www.gericom.com/helpdesk

i tried this before with no luck. will try again.

trees a green, it would be good if you can try burning a CD or DVD and see what happens?

what DVD/CD drivers have you got installed?

Reaction score
i have tried the helpdesk again but it crashes when i try to login, it also crashes when i request my password. not very impressive is it.

Reaction score
ok i tried logging into gericom helpdesk using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox. that works but i now have to supply them my laptops serial number. when i do this it crashing again. maybe i need to try using Netscape next?!

Reaction score
i bought one of these laptops for £799.

and although it was a nice pc its build quality was a little bit poo.
when i unpacked it i noticed that the keys were lifting slightly where the space bar was, over the next couple of days the keyboard unstuck a little more, if i pushed the keys down they would stick for a few mins then come back up again.
there was paint rubbed off a bit in the inside edge of the chasis by the keyboard and i think it had been a returned and refurbished one.
so i took it back and got a full refund, i think ill get the fujitsu amilo 1630 instead?
anyone got one and what are they like?
cheers
john

Reaction score
Just placed an order for the Amilo A 1630 from laptopsdirect,,,, after a few months ive gone with the amilo, just feels a safer option imo.

payment has been approved and now awaiting despatch, so i guess that will be tuesday maybe, weds/thursday i might have it. i hope.

Reaction score
ok Zouls let me know what the Amilo is like please, if i get one it will be the amilo A enhanced model, that looks the best one to me.

ill wait for your opinion on it before i order one.
cheers
john.

Reaction score
Flapjack said:
Hi,

My brother bought one of the £799 Aldi laptops the other day, so I thought I would write some info/details here. I no longer have access to it, hence some of what follows is pretty vague............

If anyone has any other questions about it, let me know.

-- M
Hi

Thanks for that most interesting and informative post.

I'm not totally up on PCs, I know my floppy from my hard drive and few of the other buzz words. But, I'm picking it as I go along.

Anyway, decided my steam driven Desktop has had its day, and I decided to buy an all singng and dancing PC.

Saw this Laptop when it was first advertised for £999 back in Oct. Hummed and Arrghed and convinced myself to wait until the sales. Low and behold reduced to £799!

Now had it a week, and I'm very impressed, which might not hard considering, I've been using a ZX Spectrum for the past x years :blush: .

Haven't used it for any heavy duty stuff yet, but it's got all the whistles and bells and I'm well impressed with everything. Although taking sometime to get use to the touch mouse:mad:

The bundled software was a bit of bonus MS Works encarta, money, autoroute etc. and more.:)

Again, thanks for taking the time to give us luddites some help.

Dave

Reaction score
Starborn said:
I just got this laptop myself from aldi - excellent specs for the money (especially with the 9700). No scratching/marks at all. Screen has no dead pixels, overall very pleased. laptop is also quite slim and light - much lighter than my old acer laptop.

I do have one issue though - plugging headphones into the headphone socket does not turn off the sound from the internal speakers; this is quite annoying as the onboard speakers aren't exacly the best around. I don't know if this is by design or if my laptop is faulty - does anyone else who has this laptop have this problem?
I've got as well, and it's in immaculate condition no hit of being refurbed. Although, I can't see inside it seems to be running fine.

Reaction score
Zoulz said:
ZX spectrum lmao

errr where u been ? ;)
Do find it hard to keep up with all new PC related techology. It seem only yesterday P1 was state of the art. Now its all gone mad!! AMD 64bit...P4....Centrino....where will it end!?

But, I remember my ZX Spectrum with great fondest:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
i fink i remember a few games for that i use to play
- double dragon ( great times with the woman at the end )
- bullseye ( wtf )
- italia 90 ( wow thats goin back some )

lol ;)

oh and one time it rained and i actually typed one of those programs in, to make a .............................. Clock mmmmmmmmm ok enough of that

Reaction score
Zoulz said:
i fink i remember a few games for that i use to play
- double dragon ( great times with the woman at the end )
- bullseye ( wtf )
- italia 90 ( wow thats goin back some )

lol ;)

oh and one time it rained and i actually typed one of those programs in, to make a .............................. Clock mmmmmmmmm ok enough of that
Now you're starting to scare me....;)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
robonz said:
its looking like its only a ROM drive isn't it. i emailed gericom and was told to use there helpdesk at

www.gericom.com/helpdesk

i tried this before with no luck. will try again.

trees a green, it would be good if you can try burning a CD or DVD and see what happens?

what DVD/CD drivers have you got installed?
Hi Ken/Robonz, sorry if this reply is too late or no longer required, but I bought one of these in the Aldi sale, and it seems to be working very well so far including CD/DVD burning (I removed the Pinnacle stuff and installed Nero 6) .

If you do indeed have a QSI SDR-083 drive installed, then yes that is only a DVD-ROM drive, it should have a QSI SDW-042. You can get information on these drives here: http://www.qsinc.com.tw/qsi/Official_Product_en

The driver for it is via your OS, mine shows as: ACPI Driver Version 5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803_2158).

Have you downloaded Windows SP2 yet? - as this seems to have the latest drivers for it.

Hope this helps...

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I too got one of these and i am really happy, except...... it will only burn DVD+R it says there is an error formating the disc when i try to burn a DVD-R , also it wont write to a CD-RW and wont read a CD-R . Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ask a Question