Adobe Acrobat Reader

Jerry Fortenberry

Windows XP Pro. The user reports her computer freezes when opening Adobe
Acrobat Reader. I uninstalled Reader and installed a slightly newer
version....6.01. The only thing she admits to downloading is a program by
Avery called AveryDesign, which I uninstalled. When you attempt to open
Reader, the CPU goes to about 80 %. You must end the process to unfreeze the
processor. Any ideas ?

Rob Schneider

I don't think AveryDesign has anything to do with it. Give it back to
user. THey probably need it.

How is Adobe opened? Inside a browser, or independantly? Can you open
a local PDF file using Reader independant of the browser? Have you
looked at support at www.adobe.com for any ideas?

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

John Ski

Subject: Adobe Acrobat Reader
From: "Jerry Fortenberry" (e-mail address removed)
Date: 3/15/2004 9:17 AM Eastern Standard Time

Windows XP Pro. The user reports her computer freezes when opening Adobe
Acrobat Reader. I uninstalled Reader and installed a slightly newer
version....6.01. The only thing she admits to downloading is a program by
Avery called AveryDesign, which I uninstalled. When you attempt to open
Reader, the CPU goes to about 80 %. You must end the process to unfreeze the
processor. Any ideas ?
I had the same problem reading .pdfs on the Internet. I ended up uninstalling
Acro Reader 6 and reinstalling 5 which works fine. I had a difficult time
finding 5.5, finally pulled it off a backup disc in my archives. If you can't
find it, email me with an addy that will allow a 10MB file and I'll send it to
you. I suppose I could split it into a couple of ZIPs if necessary. I doubt
AveryDesignPro is causing a problem, BTW. I use it regularly and love it. It
has never caused any problems that I'm aware of.

HTH,
John
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
***Arthur C. Clarke***

johan sydling

I don't think AveryDesign has anything to do with it. Give it back to
user. THey probably need it.

How is Adobe opened? Inside a browser, or independantly? Can you open
a local PDF file using Reader independant of the browser? Have you
looked at support at www.adobe.com for any ideas?

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

.

Go to edit -> preferences -> internet and
uncheck "display pdf in browser". Might work.

Cheers,
Johan