Adding printers to a cluster

bhamilton

When trying to add a HP LJ 4200TN or LJ 2300 printer as a
local printer to a 2000 cluster, from either node & either
by being at the machine or from remote desktop, I get an
error at the finishing stage after copying the
drivers: "Unable to Install Printer. The print processor
does not exist."
This cluster acts as the network print server for mostly
HP's, and I have not had this error on the other 60-
something printers added this way.
The printers are at a remote office connected via T-1, and
all printers are set up the same.

JPK

I'm experiencing the same problem when trying to add a HP 1300n driver
to a Windows 2003 clustered print server. I loaded the driver for the
printer on both nodes and was able to print a test page from each one
to the printer. However, when I try to add the printer to the virtual
server, I get the same error message, "Unable to Install Printer. The
print processor does not exist."

Not sure if this is relevant, but the software that came with the
printer installs a "HP Standard TCP/IP Port" on each node. When I
attempt to load the printer through the virtual server, however, the
only option I get is for a "Standard TCP/IP Port".

JPK

Paul Boland

Need some help with this.
I have added the printer driver to both nodes but when I try to add
the drvier to the virtual print server I still get "Unable to Install
Printer. The Print Processor does not exist". I am not using a HP
driver. But this seems to be a common problem, has anyone solved this?

BTW I have managed to install a PS driver on the Virtual Print Server,
this PS PPD uses the Microsoft PS Standard Driver. The one that is
failing is a PCL Custom driver using its on Print Processor.

Mikael Horal [MSFT]

Paul, just to clarify ... are you running Windows 2000 or Windows 2003?

Thanks,
Mikael
--
I've been "encouraged" to share this helpful information from our lawyers.
You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights

Paul Boland said:
Need some help with this.
I have added the printer driver to both nodes but when I try to add
the drvier to the virtual print server I still get "Unable to Install
Printer. The Print Processor does not exist". I am not using a HP
driver. But this seems to be a common problem, has anyone solved this?

BTW I have managed to install a PS driver on the Virtual Print Server,
this PS PPD uses the Microsoft PS Standard Driver. The one that is
failing is a PCL Custom driver using its on Print Processor.

(e-mail address removed) (JPK) wrote in message
server.

Paul Boland

Mikael,

I am using a 2 node Windows 2003 Ent Cluster on a Windows 2000 DC.

I suspect this problem occurs due to the custom Print Processor????

Mikael Horal [MSFT]

Yes, the problem does occur due to the custom Print Processor. This is a
known problem, which is being looked into (and is likely to _soon_ be
fixed).

For now there are two possible workarounds:

1. Call the API AddPrintProcessor to "register" the print processor with the
cluster spooler.
2. Use the printmig tool (see www.microsoft.com/printserver). Add the print
processor to a stand alone spooler (even the node itself would work) - you
can to this when adding the printer through "Add Printer Wizard". Save the
config and restore it to the cluster spooler.

Thanks,
Mikael
--

"Mikael Horal [MSFT]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Paul, just to clarify ... are you running Windows 2000 or Windows 2003?

Thanks,
Mikael
--
I've been "encouraged" to share this helpful information from our lawyers.
You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

the
driver
server.

Paul Boland

Mikael,

Thanks for the info. I went for workaround 2, using printmag.exe the
print processor got installed without any problems on the Virtual
Print server.

Once again thanks,

Paul

Paul Boland said:
[...]

"Alan Morris\(MSFT\)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
The cluster nodes themselves need the print processor. Install
the
driver
on each node, then add the printer to the clustered virtual print
server.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (JPK)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.printing
Subject: Re: Adding printers to a cluster
Date: 22 Dec 2003 07:48:42 -0800

Alan Morris\(MSFT\) said:
The cluster nodes themselves need the print processor. Install the driver
on each node, then add the printer to the clustered virtual print server.
--

JPK,

When trying to install a printer driver that installs a custom Print Processor to a Windows 2003 cluster we will get a message
like the one below:

Unable to install printer. The print processor does not exist.

The reason for this is cluster does not support the addition of custom Print Processors.

The solution is to contact the manufacturer for a version of the driver that is Cluster aware and does not try to install the
custom Print Processor.

To work around the issue we can install a driver that comes with Windows 2003, then go to the properties of this printer, go
to the Advanced tab, click the New Driver button and then point to the driver from the manufacturer for the printer. This
will normally install the manufacturer's driver without attempting to install the custom Print Processor.

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I was experiencing the same issue on Windows 2000 Server SP4 on a cluster.
HP Laserjet 4700D TN
Downloaded latest drivers from the HP website.
Logged on to the Cluster node rather than cluster.
When installing the printer, selected the option to install new drivers from a location.
Everything worked like a charm.
Printer was installed successfully.

Regards
Moeed Sheikh