install printer. the print processor does not exist. This happens if i try
to install locally, or remotely.

Any ideas?

B

bfinnick

I am running into the same error message too. I am installing an HP
Laserjet 2300.

Reaction score
If you are installing to 2000/XP/2003 try using the NT drivers for your device instead. You may then be able to install the other drivers after the printer que is created or under the Server Properties - Drivers tab.
One possible problem is that the driver installs but the print processor does not copy over. Microsoft claims that this only happens on remote installs but I have experienced it both locally and remotely. (See article 835998 on Microsoft.com)
I also remember reading another Microsoft article that stated there was an issue with the older drivers giving this error message on newer OS's or vice versa but I can not find it again. I will post again if I find it or let me know if you find it so I can show my boss.
Anyway, I support about 600 networked printing devices mostly HP in a Windows 2003 server/XP desktop environment and this work around works for me every time. So good luck.

S

shanks_86

Wade said:
*i have a two node windows 2003 server cluster. When I try to
install
certain Hp printers, i.e. hp4200 with the latest drivers i get unable
to
install printer. the print processor does not exist. This happens if
i try
to install locally, or remotely.

Any ideas? *

A

Alan Morris [MSFT]

If you are attempting to do this from an XP client this is expected.

You'll need Server 2003 SP1 on the node and the machine adding the printer
for this to work.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906752/en-us
You cannot install a printer on a cluster node to a Windows Server 2003
cluster
--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team
Search the Microsoft Knowledge Base here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[ln];kbhowto

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Reaction score
I tried to replace the printer driver when I receive the error message and it works fine for my server.
Hope it helps.

Reaction score
I had the same issue trying to install a new printer remotely and locally. To quote papajoyjoy:

"I tried to replace the printer driver when I receive the error message and it works fine for my server.
Hope it helps."

This also worked for me.

Reaction score
I see this thread is old, but it is the top Gogle hit, so I'm posting what fixed mine. This is from microsoft on what to do when no print processers are found. This worked in Windows 7 with a XEROX PHASER 6250

1. Verify that the Winprint.dll file exists in the following folder:

%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86

If the Winprint.dll file is missing, use the following command to expand the Winprint.dl_ file on your Windows NT Setup CD-ROM or Setup disks to Winprint.dll in the above folder:

expand x:\i386\winprint.dl_ c:\winnt\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\winprint.dll

where x: is the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive.
  2. Verify that the print processor is configured correctly in the Windows NT registry. To do so, follow these steps:

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system- wide problems that may require you to reinstall Windows NT to correct them. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

a. Locate the following key in the Windows NT registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print \Environments\Windows NT x86\Print Processors\winprint

If the Winprint key is not present, create it by clicking Add Key on the Edit menu. If Winprint.dll is not specified as the Driver value in the Winprint key, click Add Value on the Edit menu to create the Driver value using the following settings:

Driver:REG_SZ:winprint.dll

NOTE: It may be necessary to restart the computer after making these changes.

Reaction score
I had the same problem with Windows XP and I downloaded the latest driver from the Vendor Support Site. It worked for me.

Regards,
Shaf

Reaction score
After 3 weeks of breaking my head I finaly fix this problem.

This is the solution:

In my case the problem computer was the one attach to the printer so this what I did:

Rename the folder w32x86.
c:\windows\system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86
then copy the same folder from one of the good computer into this same location on the problem computer, now is working just fine.

Hope this works on you

Ask a Question