Add Start Menu Shortcut Manually

If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs) where
can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate adding icons?

Shenan Stanley

Windcell said:
If I drag and drop an shortcut into the Start Menu (not All Programs)
where can I find the location folder, so that I can later automate
adding icons?

Automating the creation of ICONS should be done to the actual directories in
question, not the pretty GUI.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Start Menu

Environment variables are availble for your use.. In a batch script, the
above two lines could be put as the lines below and it will work for each
user...

C:\Documents and Settings\%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu
C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Start Menu

Wesley Vogel

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Start Menu
or
%homepath%\Start Menu

and

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
or
%allusersprofile%\Start Menu
-----

Right click the Start button | Explore All Users

Start | Run | Paste: %homepath%\Start Menu | Click OK

Start | Run | Paste: %allusersprofile%\Start Menu | Click OK

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

I'm referring to the XP Start Menu just above All Programs on the left hand
side which allows drag and drop of shortcuts. Your response adds icons to
Start-->All Programs.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

The top left quadrant is the Pin list, and the bottom quadrant is the MFU
list.

There is no programmatic access to the Start Menu Pin list. But here is a
workaround
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/resources/qanda/nov04/hey1111.mspx
--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Windcell said:
I'm referring to the XP Start Menu just above All Programs on the left
hand
side which allows drag and drop of shortcuts. Your response adds icons to
Start-->All Programs.

<snip>

Great, how about adding a folder or file to the Start Menu List (non-Classic
view)?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Anando,

Yes, I'm aware of that method. I believe the OP wants to automate this
process across several systems. The original query states "so that I can
later automate adding icons". The scripting method does not work for
folders, as the "Pin" verb can't be invoked.

Thanks!

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Wondering now if there is a possibility of invoking the hidden "Pin to....."
for folders. This does not work.

Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Application")
Set objFolder = objShell.Namespace("G:\Windows")
Set objFolderItem = objFolder.ParseName("System32")
objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("P&in to Start Menu")
'objFolderItem.InvokeVerb("Open")

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I forgot to try shift.

David Candy

Try the Verb collection and enumerate through it and then do a Doit method if it appears in the list.., although when I'm forced into using the verb collection (on network connection and similar) and issue it wscript usually disappears from memory. No error just disappears. Don't bother I did and it doesn't work.

Sendkeys will work though as one can Shift Right Click (Shift + F10).

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Nice idea! Will try it.