Add Remove problem

bobster

My Add Remove list has just recently developed a problem wherein there is a
huge amount of black, blank space between the first part of the list and the
bottom of the list. I have googled the problem and found it described in
several listings but have not found a successful fix for it. Any help would
be appreciated.

XP SP3
IE8
Intel duo 2.2
2gig memory

Jose

My Add Remove list has just recently developed a problem wherein there isa
huge amount of black, blank space between the first part of the list and the
bottom of the list.  I have googled the problem and found it described in
several listings but have not found a successful fix for it.  Any help would
be appreciated.

XP SP3
IE8
Intel duo 2.2
2gig memory

I have seen big white space and it is usually caused by a problem in
the Uninstall section of the registry - usually the DisplayIcon entry
having a negative number (like -1 instead of 1).

So... can you recall when it worked last and what has been installed
since? AutoCAD, AutoDesk, Autoanything?

Example of an improper DisplayIcon value in the registry for a
recently installed or Autosomething program:

C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

It should read:

C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,1

You can look for the problem yourself by going here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

and looking at all the {.....} entries for negative values in the
DisplayIcon parameters. Not all will have the DisplayIcon parameter
which is fine. You are looking for those with minus signs that need
fixing.

Every {.....} is some program that you will be able to see what it is
by looking at the values. You can remove just the minus sign for
DisplayIcon parameter if you find one.

Export/backup your registry first or be very careful of course.

Jose

My Add Remove list has just recently developed a problem wherein there isa
huge amount of black, blank space between the first part of the list and the
bottom of the list.  I have googled the problem and found it described in
several listings but have not found a successful fix for it.  Any help would
be appreciated.

XP SP3
IE8
Intel duo 2.2
2gig memory

I tend to forget the obvious first step:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free
malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

I automatically think that everyone does that first.

bobster

Jose,

I went through the registry area that you suggested one-by-one and found
lots of (1)s but no (-1)s. Also ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and
to my surprise, found 7 Trojans. First time I have found anything like that
for quite awhile. I run both of those at least once a week and generally
more often. Also have a Hosts file active and SpyBlaster. Using Avast! a/v
and Windows firewall. Can't imagine how the Trojans got in. However,
deleting them did not solve my Add/Remove blank space problem. Haven't made
any additions to my computer lately so I'm at a loss as to what caused the
problem and how to fix it. Any more ideas will be appreciated.

[...]

PA Bear [MS MVP]

Sounds like you've got more work to do.

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

Tim Meddick

Jose,
you will find that what you call a "negative number" as the "DisplayIcon"
value is not a negative number at all, but a change to reference number from absolute
order :

e.g. c:\windows\shell32.dll,69

....is the seventieth icon (the first being 0 (zero)).

and to referenced number, i.e. each icon is given a numerical name, sometimes they
are listed in straight order 1-100, etc, and sometimes not.

But to define an icon by it's reference number in the 'Icon Group' part of the
resource section of an executable :

e.g. c:\windows\shell32.dll,-151

....gives you the same icon as the first one.

However, this could still be the cause of the problem you spoke about, but wanted you
to know what the preceding "-" dash really signified.

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :)

[...]

Hmmm... okay.

There is a clue as to the entry in Add/Remove with the last properly
display program but I have not figured out the clue yet.

I found a couple other (2) other DisplayIcon values in my registry in
HKCU and they had the zero (0) as the part of the parameter after the
comma.

I changed one of them to -1 and then my Add/Remove was broken with a
big (white) empty space. I changed it back 10 1 and all was well.

I suggest checking your entire registry for a DisplayIcon values that
ends in a negative number.

I know it sounds terrible, but there shouldn't be too many places
outside the Uninstall portion of HKLM.

In regedit, highlight My Computer, click Edit, Find... DisplayIcon

Expand your windows and columns in regedit to make searching and
seeing results easy.

F3 means search again.

If you find a negative number, double click the offending parameter
and remove the minus sign, the effect is immediate when you click OK,
try Add/Remove again. Be sure Add/Remove is closed and started again
between cycles.

You can keep up with the changes to undo them, or change them back one
at a time after testing if nothing good happens or come back for
probably many more opinions.

One at a time is good so we can maybe see who it is.

[...]

Replace "offending" with "suspicious" in my previous post.

[...]

Yeah - I was honed in on the AutoCAD stuff.

I understand the concept of the offsets, but I also see that I can
recreate the problem by changing a 1 to a -1
or a 0 to a -0 in places.

I have a -301, but if I change it to a 301, everything still works.

151 = -151. I get it.

If I change a 1 to a -1 (at least in the several I tried) things
break.

Other examples I read about all seemed to just be the -1 and change it
to a 1 thing.

Some installed programs don't even have the parameter. I can't
remember the other program example I read that was NOT AutoCAD, but
there was another culprit.

Sounds like what's his name and changing the icon for My Pictures a
while back - remember that?

I know what you mean though... :)

bobster

Jose,

Still no joy. Tried everything you and others have suggested. Doesn't seem
to be connected to the display Icon uninstall thing. Rechecked all of the
strings and there are no -1 entries. Tried several other things, Kelly's
Korner "fix" and other "googled" suggestions. None worked. I don't do Reg
Cleaners. Guess I'll just have to live with it.

Thanks for all the help Jose, Tim, PA Bear.

[...]

PA,

I don't believe it is nonsense to live with an add/remove list that has a
big gap in the middle of the list IF this is the only problem that it
manifests. I have tried most all of the suggestions that have been offered
here and have tried several that I have googled. None has removed the
problem. You suggested a format and reinstall as a last resort.

I have a highly customized XP/IE8 installation that would take me a long
time to reconstitute. It has been working relatively trouble-free for quite
some time. I use Avast! a/v, XP firewall, MVP Hosts file, SpywareBlaster
and do regular scans with Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. I update
scrupulously. The recent Trojans I mentioned were the first such infections
I have had in years. I don't have any idea how they crept in and I don't
believe the Add/Remove problem is connected to them. They have been removed
and I have done complete re-scans with MWB and SAS and found no other
problems.

So, the tradeoff I face is to start over by dumping a well functioning
(except Add/Remove) system or continuing to use it "as is" and be slightly
inconvenienced with a gimpy add/remove function that I use maybe once a
week. Seems like a no brainer to me.

The biggest problem for me is that I am a bit of a perfectionist and hate to
have anything about my computer that isn't "right" no matter how trivial. I
will probably continue searching Google/Bing regularly for a solution.

As always, I appreciate your quick response and sage suggestions.

Nonsense!

Jose

[...]

I also read that a chkdsk may reveal an issue. A refresher:

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools >
Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start
Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after
you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will
run automatically after the restart. After it’s finished it will
restart into Windows automatically.

Everything after this is just from tinkering with my system:

Since I can seem to recreate here by changing my registry, I will see
if I can figure out the mystery of the program listed on top of the
empty space and the one on the bottom and what is in between.

What is your last displayed program before the gap and what is the
first after the gap? If revealing does not compromise your
environment. Maybe it is the program that is the first missing one,
but I don't know how to figure out how that Add/Remove list is
presented yet - what program would come after this if things were
working properly...

If you use Add/Remove programs once a week (why?) you can't remember
what was installed between the last time it worked and when it got
broken? If we can't fix the situation the installed program causes,
may just that one can be uninstalled, see if things are fixed and try
a reinstall of that program.

Looks like Add/Remove display sorts alphabetically by default. If
not, sort it that way. For me it goes something like:

Adobe Flash Player 10
Adobe Flash Player Plugin
Adobe Photoshop Album

I changed the DisplayIcon in Adobe Photoshop Album from 0 to -1.

Now Add/Remove is broken and the last thing before the gap is Adobe
Flash Player Plugin. Then a big (big) gap and things pick up again
normally

I repeated this in the S section.

Look in C:\Program Files, sort by date - what program folders were
installed in the last week/month (I know a program update may change
the date) and maybe you can get a memory jog or help narrow down where
to look. If it is only a couple things and uninstall, reboot, test,
reinstall is no big deal...

Look in C:\Progam Files and sort by name. I have 4 things in my Adobe
folder and one of them was the last thing to display in the broken Add/
Remove. The one I broke on purpose (Photoshop Album) was in there and
(knowing what I know now) would have been the fist thing I would have
suspected as a registry entry to look at, or a program to consider
reinstalling if I could not fix it.

I did the same things with my S entries. Caused a big gap by changing
one S type program DisplayIcon from 0 to -1.

The entire empty space is caused by just one program - everything
before and after it is all still there.

Sorted alphabetically, look in Add/Remove Programs at the program on
top and bottom of the gap - what program is missing? You can probably
tell at least the first letter by now. Look in C:\Program Files - any
ideas?

normal....
Adobe Flash...
(big gap)
Canon...
....normal

The afflicted program is alphabetically somewhere between Adobe and
Canon.

I think the secret is to find the program that would normally occupy
the gap and it appears to be possible to figure that out.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

...You suggested a format and reinstall as a last resort.

Not quite. Here's what I *did* post:

Twayne

bobster said:
[...]

You might try this: read first, before you start:

Also try this
1. Start the registry editor
2. Select
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]-[SOFTWARE]-[Microsoft]-[WINDOWS]-[Uninstall]
3. Back up the Uninstall branch (step 2) by exporting it to your desktop
4. Open the Add/Remove programs control applet. Note the last good
display name in your Add/Remove program List. Then close the control
panel applet.
step 4 above in the registry. (Using only the branch in step 2) Select
the NEXT uninstall key.
6. Delete the uninstall keys one at a time until you find the offending
uninstallation routine. After each deletion, open the Add/Remove
programs applet and look at the display to see if it is fixed. Remember
to CLOSE the Add/Remove program window before deleting the next key.
7. When you find the correct key, make a note of it.
8. Your problem is not fixed if you deleted some GOOD registry entries.
At this point you MAY have deleted BOTH GOOD and BAD registry entries,
depending on how lucky you were.
9. The next step explains how to restore the registry to it's prior
state.
10. Close the registry editor. Right click on the file you saved in step
3. Select Merge.
11. Your registry is now back to where it was ORIGINALLY.
12. Now open your registry editor and select the key from step 7, and
delete it. Your problem should now be fixed and all good entries intact.

HTH,

Twayne`

Twayne

bobster said:
[...]

Then you might know that you could get out of this rather quickly if you
had a good backup strategy in place? Seriously.

I agree with you; this is a registry issue.

Twayne`

bobster

Twayne,

You said,

"Then you might know that you could get out of this rather quickly if you
had a good backup strategy in place? Seriously."

I do have an external clone as a backup. The bad news is that I didn't
realize I had the add/remove problem prior to making my last clone backup.
Therefore my backup copy contains the same add/remove problem as my active
"C" drive.

I'm reviewing the new suggestions that have just come in and will report on
any success I have.

bobster said:
[...]

Success!!!!

In addition to my external clone drive (F), I have a second internal drive
(E) that I had cloned my IE7 based system on before I downloaded IE8 so I
could easily return to IE7 in case I had problems with IE8. To my delight,
it had the uncorrupted add/remove list. The "missing" item on my (C) drive
list was the GeoSoft Hosts Manager (MVPS) entry. I was able to find its
uninstaller on my (C) drive, and after uninstalling it, my add/remove list
is back to normal.

Thanks again to all the help from those of you who responded to my problem.
I learned a lot, including the value of a good backup system that provides
fully bootable clones. FWIW, I use Casper 5.0 for cloning which seems to be
quick (7 minutes, typically) and foolproof.

[...]

messageNonsense!

[...]

That's all I was saying, but - if it works - use it!

==