50Mb Webspace...What To Do With It?

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have 50mb of webspace with my ADSL service with FreeUK. I want to do something with it! probably make a website. Also have a domain - postillsystems.co.uk from one&one (Dads company) and would like to link it with that. I have SmartFTP and Front Page. Is front page easy to use? also is it possible to link free webspace to a bought domain?

dont know what i'd want to have my webpage about yet either...probs planes or FS2004. or both.

Is it easy? am a TOTAL newbie to webpages, only ever made a sort of wap site before to "host" ringtones so i could download them to my phone - before i got a data cable...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Frontpage is really easy to use :) If you can use Microsoft Word, you can use Frontpage no problem. The key is to keep it simple, and then build up from there.

Its a good idea to create a website, as it will be a useful skill for the future no doubt. A page on aircraft would be great, as you know loads about it, which is always a good starting point! You could always put up some FS2004 downloads (i.e custom aircraft).

I've actually been looking at one and one servers in the last few weeks for a dedicated server! Does your dad own that company, or work for them?

BTW, I made a wap site for downloading ringtones exactly the same :D

Reaction score
I made a wap site for downloading ringtones exactly the same
Haha... I couldnt afford a data cable at the time but now i have my new phone i need the cable to download my photos to my PC.

Does your dad own that company, or work for them?
Well he owns the company - Postill Systems LTD. Its just him, he contracts out to big companies to program stuff - hence why i lived in Atlanta for 6 months in 1992 when he was with rediffusion simulation. In fact he just flew out to Holland (Rotterdam) today to test the software on some railway network radios hes been helping program for Siemens.

You could always put up some FS2004 downloads (i.e custom aircraft).
hmm... good idea! i'm sure there are certain copyright things and i wouldnt know how to advertise the site for people to upload their files. Besides, with each plane being inbetween 2 and 15meg each, the 50mb space would be used up real quick!!

A page on aircraft would be great, as you know loads about it
Yeah may stick to that and also have people link to i don't know, say photos they have taken of planes, or screenshots of cool FS2004 stuff

If you can use Microsoft Word, you can use Frontpage no problem. The key is to keep it simple, and then build up from there.
guess i am thick then!!

Regards, Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've also got 50Mb of space from my ISP. I've hosted a few pix from there, but that's it.

I have Dreamweaver and Front Page, have looked at both briefly but never used them, haven't a clue, really.

Is 50Mb enough for a web site?

I too am a total noob to this.

Those with long memories may remember I've threatened to do this before, but I've always fought shy of it. Maybe it's time to check this thing out at last.

I also have around 200MB of space courtesy another Forum meister, of which about 80Mb is used hosting stuff, so I suppose I could link pictures across?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
50MB is more than enough :D Unless of course you are hosting massive image (and hundreds of them!).

You should have a crack at it and make one - its good fun!

Reaction score
Well a webpage must just be a standard kind of document which i image would be max 100k and whatever you have attached to it would be what eats the space.

having experience with webpages would be handy for my college course...

i dont know how to start laying things out in front page though - i always thought it was very complicated.

Reaction score
most websites i make rarely get above a few mb in size.

As for making them dreamweaver is probably the best wysiwyg program, its looks a bit daunting at first but once you get to know it its easy to use for basic sites. I cant say ive ever realy used frontpage but i do know its used to put heaps of unwanted code in making your site slower.

I build all my websites in a text editor and ive just finished reading a book on web standards book which basicaly said you can reduce site loading time by about 30% if you use a text editor rather than a wysiwig although some wysiwygs can be quite good.

Reaction score
yeah, as in dreamweaver, frontpage, golive and other programs where you see what you are doing, i prefer text editors myself but if you dont know anything about web design and/or html then typing the code is not easy for beginners

Reaction score
RIIIIGHT i have my index page done. Not to bad looking i dont think.

Preview.JPG

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Looks good Chris!

The only comment I'd make is changing the background of the main text, as the mosiac makes it a little difficult to read - that might be just me though ;)

Reaction score
Can not do that unfortunatly. I can read it ok, for all the people who can't i guess the ingame screenshot gives away what the site is about...

chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Looks good Chris!

The only comment I'd make is changing the background of the main text, as the mosiac makes it a little difficult to read - that might be just me though ;)
Not just you Ian, I'm not fond of that either. It does look hard to read and in my humble opinion 'olde world' text just doesn't seem to gel with a site dedicated to flight.

But, it could just be me, Chris, you do whatever you're happy with, just giving a little feedback here ;)

Reaction score
Ok, I shall go ahead and change it then. Thanks for your opinions...will keep posting progress with screenshots and i need a bit of constructive critiscism to help! after all this is my first ever web page!

am going to "play" FS2004 again now - i need some screenshots!

Reaction score
yeah!! i love it. Just flew an A340 from Heathrow to Luton :D

for some reason the FreeUK FTP server is down so cant just insert my shots - i think they are awesome!

will attach.

chris.

edit: the rest are too big to "attach" - i dont see why you can attach loads of 150kb files but not like 1x1mb file :(

Attachments

• A340 moonlight.jpg
    A340 moonlight.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 211
  • Cessna172.jpg
    Cessna172.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 192
  • A340 Night.jpg
    A340 Night.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 169
Reaction score
remember to stop XP "resizing" them in the page because that knackers the quality of them.
enjoy

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Chris,

You've convinced me well and truly to buy this game :) I was going to get it last week, then I forgot about it - now I HAVE to get it ;)

Does the A320 come as standard?

Reaction score
No there are no airbus's as standard. The only "real" airliners that come with are the 737.777 and 747.

There is an entire IFDG A320 series in lots of liveries (BA, Monarch etc etc) and the graphics on those babies are awesome.

The A340 i got is my newest addition and its truly awesome - posibly the best one i have ever had. The panel is so complex that you need to turn on the generators and fuel pumps and manually turn on the CRT displays so that you can manually start the engine! its really real - also the sounds are 100x better than the Boeing ones...

when you buy start a new thread and i will put up a bunch of links to the BEST planes there are - some are so crap they are a waste of space but ive trawled the new trying every going version of every going plane...thereabouts.

do you have a decent enough graphics card for it - i would reccomend a minimum of 9800pro - its the most resource hungry game you will ever use. Take no notice of the "minimum spec/reccomended spec" on the box. you can bout quadrouple that!!

Ask a Question