2 Microsoft files Detected as spyware.

Discussion in 'Spyware Application Compatibility' started by Eric C. Vogel, Jan 6, 2005.

  1. Eric C. Vogel, Jan 6, 2005

  2. Re: 2 Microsoft files Detected as spyware. [119kb]

    Normally my system is clean. Somehow (SAV was not clear as to which varient)
    HTML/IE Crash got into the MSN Desktop Search Cache and SAV 9.01 with
    12/28/04 Defs. (Latest def's when it found it earlier this week) got right
    through the AV Real-time scanner. I have not seen any outbound requests on
    XP2 Firewall. (Have ISA 2000 for inbound on SBS 2003). This could by why I
    got infected.

    I just renewed SAV, looks like I may have to re-evaluate whats out there
    next year.

    --
    Thank you,
    Eric Vogel

    Eric C. Vogel, Jan 6, 2005

  3. Eric C. Vogel

    Paul L. Guest

    Re: 2 Microsoft files Detected as spyware. [119kb]

    I think chktrust.exe and extract.exe aren't windows files cuz I don't have
    them in my windows system32 dir

    Paul L., Jan 6, 2005
  4. Eric C. Vogel

    Ray D. [MVP] Guest

    Re: 2 Microsoft files Detected as spyware. [119kb]

    chktrust.exe is part of the .NET Framework tools:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...grfcertificateverificationtoolchktrustexe.asp

    It looks like extract.exe (in this case) is actually spyware:
    http://sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.ieplugin.html

    Ray D. [MVP], Jan 6, 2005