160 GB drive on ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe problem

notritenoteri

Even with SP1 on XP you only get 152 Gigs out of the supposed 160Gigs
available. Its up to you to decide how much work you wan to put in for
about 10% more.
If you decide to redo it you might consider loading all the fixes to XP or
at least the security related ones.there's a lot more after SP1 in fact
there is an SPA in beta right now. I have no idea how stable it is.

mitchd said:
fyi, by default 12.5% of your hard disk space is set aside for the MFT
or Master File Table when an NTFS drive is formatted.

Unless your using the 48 bit driver you will only see 137Gb. The 48
bit driver will allow you to get beyond 137Gb on a fresh install, or a
second drive, etc.

An way to see if it is the OS, or the system, is to download a
bootable Linux CD known as Knoppix. This will run only on the CD, but
will show your hard drives. From there you can see what Linux sees
them as. Some commands which you might use are:

df -h which stands for "disk free" in a human format

LouW <[email protected]> wrote in message
Hi,
I added SP1 after I installed XPPro.
Warm Regards,
Lou

Natéag

On my computer, XP only sees 34,4 (37Go drive); 55,9 (60Go drive)
76,3 (80 Go drive).
Never worried about it, but some of missing bytes probably used
for formatting, boot sector, etc,)