16 bit Windows Subsystem (refuse to install)

donnieowens

This happens to both games and other software that says it
is for Windows XP. I get the heading "16 bit WINDOWS
SUBSYSTEM". Then the following
message: "C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file
is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate application."

It does not allow the program to be installed, or if
installed will not allow to run. Seems if this is XP
compatible, some thing is not right. I went back to the
manufacture, they were no help, MS wants $39 ph, and
nobody I have talked to knows what the problem is.

I hope someone here has heard of this problem, and can
tell me how to fix it.

Thanks.

JIM

Jimmy S.

Hi Jim,

Perhaps those are DOS based games / applications..
When a game is a DOS game, it could work using compatibility mode:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292533 or by using the Multiboot
bootdisk from: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~lpcd/downloads.html
and always check at fileplanet.com to see if there's a patch available,
or search at: http://www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a :)

With DOSBOX you can emulate a DOS computer on your XP desktop:
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php Or try MS Virtual PC:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/downloads/trial.asp
which allows you to install DOS or to run any operating system inside XP.

If you prefer to explore other advanced methods, here are two excellent
tutorials I've found on the subject: http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php
and http://home.earthlink.net/~angeldancer27/XpGameList.htm For sound
issues use: http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound Good Luck! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| This happens to both games and other software that says it
| is for Windows XP. I get the heading "16 bit WINDOWS
| SUBSYSTEM". Then the following
| message: "C:\WINDOWS/SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. The system file
| is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
| applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate application."
|
| It does not allow the program to be installed, or if
| installed will not allow to run. Seems if this is XP
| compatible, some thing is not right. I went back to the
| manufacture, they were no help, MS wants $39 ph, and
| nobody I have talked to knows what the problem is.
|
| I hope someone here has heard of this problem, and can
| tell me how to fix it.
|
| Thanks.
|
| JIM

Brad

Yor running 32bit or NTSF file system.
16bit is old.
It won't run because different file systems.

Just mee

Hogwash. 16 bit software certainly will run without problem on 32 bit
OSes.

JM

what you want is to upgrade your elcheapo 16 bit, Introducing the AMD Thin and Light 64-Bit.

AMD introduced two new low-power mobile processors designed to offer outstanding computing performance and true mobility for thin and light notebooks. The new low-power mobile AMD Athlon 64 processor models 2800+ and 2700+ further expand the AMD Athlon 64 processor family, offering a powerful 32-bit computing experience today with a seamless transition to 64-bit applications. These processors also offer an Enhanced Virus Protection security feature, to be enabled by the upcoming Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2.

so make sure you can handel the brute power or go

James C. Kleinfelder

Thanks,
JIM
what you want is to upgrade your elcheapo 16 bit,
Introducing the AMD Thin and Light 64-Bit.
AMD introduced two new low-power mobile processors
designed to offer outstanding computing performance and
true mobility for thin and light notebooks. The new low-
power mobile AMD Athlon 64 processor models 2800+ and
2700+ further expand the AMD Athlon 64 processor family,
offering a powerful 32-bit computing experience today
with a seamless transition to 64-bit applications. These
processors also offer an Enhanced Virus Protection
security feature, to be enabled by the upcoming Microsoft
Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Jim Kleinfelder

[...]

Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=FH;[LN];gms
Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite:
http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid=sz;en-us;top

"donnieowens" <[email protected]>
wrote in message [email protected]...

just to add to this, I have the same problem, but on my other computer (running windows xp) the game installs fine, unfortunatly, it's not the one I want to use.