Zorin ISO

Reaction score
OK i'm burning Zorin O/S ISO image to a DVD.
How do i then copy the ISO image to a USB Flash Drive to be bootable from it?
I want to run Zorin from the USB Flash Drive to test it on my Laptop.

I may have well asked this question before but i blame my age!!:lol:

Reaction score
:blush:Sorry I cannot help you there feckit as I bought the ultimate version which already comes on a DVD, do you have a burning suite on your PC? By the way I am also an old git and only got into PC's a few years ago and that was I was interested in building my own PC that I find easy, what I find difficult is the software and making the dam thing do what I want to do.

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
OK i'm burning Zorin O/S ISO image to a DVD.
How do i then copy the ISO image to a USB Flash Drive to be bootable from it?
I want to run Zorin from the USB Flash Drive to test it on my Laptop.

I may have well asked this question before but i blame my age!!:lol:

Can't you just download it straight onto your Flash Drive?

Reaction score
I think so, but I think You need to ask the question in the Linux support section as I would not like to give you duff info.

Reaction score
Is their not a program that could copy the iso image dvd to a bootable program on to flash drive?
So can boot diretly from the flash drive?

Reaction score
;)If I remember you can also use the DVD to run Zorin as an external drive the same as a flash drive. I have the best advice you can get is from their own Zorins own forum as all the participants are Zorin users and you will get good advice from them. As far as Zorin I am a newbie and that is where I get any questions answered :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yes, it's called UNetbootin.

I've just done it. I downloaded Zorin into My Documents, but you can download it directly to your USB stick (just trying that method now).

Then download Unetbootin onto your USB stick. Zorin doesn't appear on the dropdown menu in UNetbootin but you can tell it where Zorin is (My Documents or Drive E or wherever) and it will set up the full system ready to use as a reboot. The UNetbootin download stuck for ages on 58% before rapidly finishing.

I will be trying a reboot soon using Zorin on a USB stick (I hope)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Had a go with my new Zorin USB stick.

Went into BIOS at reboot but I know next to nothing about what goes on in there. I managed to get to the Boot Sequence and the USB stick was third preference after SATA and DVD (there was no DVD in the drive)

How do I actually start up the system using the USB? :blush:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Had a go with my new Zorin USB stick.

Went into BIOS at reboot but I know next to nothing about what goes on in there. I managed to get to the Boot Sequence and the USB stick was third preference after SATA and DVD (there was no DVD in the drive)

How do I actually start up the system using the USB? :blush:

leave the BIOS alone ... use the "the key press", in my case F11 to choose, as the system is booting as you would do to enter the BIOS, to choose what to boot from ... if the USB is not listed, you cant boot from it. :)

:user:

Reaction score
:thumb:Good luck with Zorin niv, it will take a little time to get used to but it is worth it to get away from Windows. Only problem I can see with Zorin or any Linux system for that matter is gaming.:bow:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
leave the BIOS alone ... use the "the key press", in my case F11 to choose, as the system is booting as you would do to enter the BIOS, to choose what to boot from ... if the USB is not listed, you cant boot from it. :)

Thanks for the help, Mucks.

In my case the key to get into the BIOS is Delete. When I press this at boot up it goes straight into the BIOS and there are no options about booting from SATA or USB.

Is the choice you're talking about in the BIOS or before the BIOS comes up?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you press the DEL key to get into the BIOS ... there should be another key to press to invoke the boot sequence ... your MB manual should tell you what it is if you miss the hint that comes up when booting the PC in the first place ... sometimes it's F8. YMMV :)

You should not need to mess with the BIOS boot setup.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. I am creating this post using Zorin ( I hear cheering and applause in the background).

I used F11 to get to the boot menu and it was straightforward after that.

I don't have time just now to check this out in any detail but will do so later.

And what about crunching? Presumably I will have to download BOINC onto here, will I ?
Does it just continue on both Zorin and Windows? Or do I have to switch somehow between them?

Lots to learn but it will have to be done later as I'm off out soon.

I feel a certain amount of smugness. :D

Reaction score
:bow:Great stuff feckit enjoy your new OS.:thumb: Yes as far as I know you will have to download WCG on to your new OS. Any way have a good play and enjoy:lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I am also new to Zorin. Installed it dual boot with W7 over the weekend and I am enjoying it. Just having trouble getting the WiFi working, but otherwise I like it :)

Reaction score
I am also new to Zorin. Installed it dual boot with W7 over the weekend and I am enjoying it. Just having trouble getting the WiFi working, but otherwise I like it :)

:thumb:Great Evan enjoy, glad you have joined the club enjoy. Like you probably I just want a OS that works not wanting to muck around with writing software etc I leave that to the boffins, Good luck with it mate enjoy.:thumb::cheers:

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
OK so I now have Zorin on a USB stick and can boot my system so that I can use it.

Next question is how can I have Zorin available using a single click. I have created a separate partition thinking I can put it onto this. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. How do I download a usable system onto my PC as a permanent feature? :blush:

Reaction score
Zorin should give you the option to just use the stick or form a partition and install Zorin and the size of the partition you want. I would recommend that you delete the partition you have already made and allow Zorin to do it for you and then instruct Zorin how big you want it.

Ask a Question