Zip file repair Uility or s/w

Pat G

Is there a app that can repair damaged or corrupted zip files and other
archives?
Pat

Mike Bourke

I find zipfix even more helpful if you have a shell accessory that lets you
copy pathnames to the clipboard - so that you only have to paste the archive
location into zipfix.

Mike

Frank Bohan

Mike Bourke said:
I find zipfix even more helpful if you have a shell accessory that lets you
copy pathnames to the clipboard - so that you only have to paste the
archive
location into zipfix.

Mike

JHK Extensions will add "Path to clipboard" to the shell extensions, and
several other items if required:

<quote>

Path to clipboard:
Copies the path of the selected folder or file to the clipboard.
DOS Prompt:
Selecting DOS Prompt (Command Prompt in WinNT) opens a DOS window in the
selected directory.

Shred File(s):
Overwrites and then deletes the selected file or files. WARNING: Shredded
files cannot be recovered.

Rename Files:
The Rename Files extension allows you to quickly and easily rename multiple
files in multiple folders.

Encrypt File:
The Encrypt/Decrypt extension allows you to easily encrypt and then decrypt
any file using a modified version of the powerful Blowfish encryption
algorithm.

Duplicate File(s):
Creates a copy of the selected file or files in the same directory. The
duplicate files will maintain the properties of the original.

Copy directory list to file:
Creates a text file containing the names and, optionally, the details of all
files in the selected directory and, optionally, subdirectories.

Print directory list:
Prints a list of the names and, optionally, the details of all files in the
selected directory and, optionally, subdirectories.

</quote>

http://www.rjhsoftware.com/rjhextensions/

===

Frank Bohan
¶ An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer.

Howard Schwartz

Is there a app that can repair damaged or corrupted zip files and other
archives?
Pat

Doesnt Pkzip's own repair program (pkfix or some such?) fix zip files
as much as one can fix them? That is, it repairs the table that indexes
the files in the archive that are OK. But it, or any zip fixer (?), can
not fix an archived file containing damaged data. Other archiver included
certain checksum data so they can actually repair some corrupt data.

I suppose any PKzip program is not freeware, but I have always been
a bit confused about this.

Susan Bugher

JP said:

Recent versions are shareware. Would anyone (please) like to track down the last freeware version?

Program: Zip Repair
Author: Fix and repair corrupt zip file
http://www.zip-repair.com/

The "parent" URL seems to be here:

http://www.getdata.com/

http://www.getdata.com/products.html

<q>
Repair My Zip
http://www.zip-repair.com/

Repair corrupt Zip files. A utility to fix corrupt zip files that are inaccessible or return errors
when being unzipped.
</q>

All help appreciated. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Susan Bugher

Howard said:
I suppose any PKzip program is not freeware, but I have always been
a bit confused about this.

That was discussed not too long ago - it is confusing - Google the ACF archives if you want more
info. FYI:

Program: PKZIP (pk250dos.exe)
Author: PKWARE Inc.
W: LFW
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.filelibrary.com/Contents/DOS/1/index.html

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Mel

Looks like the above page links to the last freeware version (1.0)
ZipRepair.zip (529,565 bytes)

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/downloads/ZipRepair.zip

Author: Fix and repair corrupt zip file
http://www.zip-repair.com/

The "parent" URL seems to be here:

http://www.getdata.com/

http://www.getdata.com/products.html
The above site is also linked to http://www.recovermyfiles.com which is
also linked to http://www.zip-repair.com

Susan Bugher

Tentacles of the same octopus (aka PITA). . . Here's hoping they don't decide to switch files. . .
another nasty practice. . .
IWS it can be found at the following site too:

http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/WinUtils5.html

Thanks Mel. :) SOS is linking to the same file:

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/downloads/ZipRepair.zip

Both sites use a slightly different name for the app. I think I'll just link to the file itself and
note that version 1.0 is the LFW. Thanks again. I appreciate the help. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Mel

Tentacles of the same octopus (aka PITA). . . Here's hoping they don't decide to switch files. . .
another nasty practice. . .
Yup! They did that on the http://www.getdata.com site:

http://download.getdata.com/ZipRepair-Setup.exe

A dl of the above gives you v2.0 of ZipRepairPro ($ware)
Thanks Mel. :) SOS is linking to the same file:

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/downloads/ZipRepair.zip

Both sites use a slightly different name for the app. I think I'll just link to the file itself and
note that version 1.0 is the LFW. Thanks again. I appreciate the help. :)

Susan
Searches for the obscure aren't always successful, but something can be
learned from the experience.