Zip File Contents

JamesJ

In Explorer, how do I get zip files to show in the left (folder) pane
and the contents of the zip files to show in the right pane?
In other words how do I get Explorer to treat zip files as folders??

Gary S. Terhune

I assume you've installed some other application that handles ZIP files,
like WinZip? Note that the original Compressed Folders (what XP uses to open
ZIP files if nothing else has been installed) do not cause the folder to
appear in the left-hand Folders column until you open them. Anyway, to
restore Compressed Folders as the default handler for ZIP files, do the
following:

Go to Folder Options, File Types tab, and locate the entry for ZIP files.
Highlight it, then click on the Advanced button. Click on New, and for
Action, call it Open (if there is already an entry for Open, not Open with
WinZip, or similar, then Edit it.) The Application used to perform action
is:
rundll32.exe zipfldr.dll,RouteTheCall %L
(There's one space before zipfldr and one before %L.)

Check "Use DDE" and click OK. Then click on Edit. The DDE message is:
[ViewFolder(*%l*, %I, %S)]

Application = Folders

DDE Application Not Running = [] (two opposing brackets.)

Topic = AppProperties

Click OK, highlight the Open entry, then click Set Default. OK your way out.

Kelly

Hi James,

To disable ZIP files being shown as folders:

Click Start/Run, enter the string below, and click OK:
regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll

You should receive a dialog that says "DllUnregisterServer in zipfldr.dll
succeeded."

To restore the default behavior, go to Start/Run and type in:
regsvr32 zipfldr.dll

Added info:

Stop Search from Scanning ZIP files:

Un-register the zip and cab file dlls, then re-register them after that. Go
to Start/Run and type in:

Before Search:
regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll
regsvr32 /u cabview.dll

After Search:
regsvr32 zipfldr.dll
regsvr32 cabview.dll

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP/DTS&XP)

Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

JamesJ

I disabled and enabled ZIP files being shown as folder. (no luck)
The 'added info' escapes me totally.
I find no setting in search that says to scan zip files. Where might I find
this.

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1) Before I search my drive for *.zip and *.cab disable zip and cab files as
shown as folders:
(regsvr32 /u zipfldr.dll and regsvr32 /u cabfldr.dll)

2) Search drive for *.zip and *.cab
3) restore the default behavior by resetting to show the zip and cab files
as folders:
(regsvr32 zipfldr.dll and regsvr32 cabfldr.dll)

James

JamesJ

The settings where already in place and I needed to change nothing.
I didn't install any other program that handles zip files. 'course I'm
51 and my mind is gone.

James

Gary S. Terhune said:
[...]

MS-MVP Shell/User
www.grystmill.com

JamesJ said:
In Explorer, how do I get zip files to show in the left (folder) pane
and the contents of the zip files to show in the right pane?
In other words how do I get Explorer to treat zip files as folders??

Gary S. Terhune

And what happens when you double-click a folder in Windows Explorer? On
mine, it opens a new window that shows the contents. If you then go to
View>Explorer Bar and check Folders, you will see the "folder" (ZIP file) on
the left. Another way to do it is right-click the ZIP file and Explore. That
will still open a new window, but it will already be in Folders view.
Unfortunately, the new window is the default action, and I'm not sure how to
change that.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User

JamesJ said:
In Explorer, how do I get zip files to show in the left (folder) pane
and the contents of the zip files to show in the right pane?
In other words how do I get Explorer to treat zip files as folders??

JamesJ

Double clicking does nothing different than clicking the folder - The
contents
of the folder is displayed in the right pane. So far the only way I've found
to display the zip file name in the left pane is to right click the zip and
choose open.
Folders are checked in the Views>Explorer Bar
I have Open each folder in the same window selected
This doesn't seem to be a big deal I'm just concerned it's an indication
of a larger problem.

James

Gary S. Terhune said:
[...]

It's certainly not an indicator of further problems. Compressed folders is
just trying to look like folders. It's much more complicated than that and
bound to have quirks.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS-MVP Shell/User