Your Opinions on File Sharing

Reaction score
I wonder how many installations of non legit Ofiice 2003 pro there are

i wouldn't be suprised if it was more than 15% - MS think they can charge £200 + for a software suit that we all have uses for.

I'm not paying hundreds for Office 2003 pro!

If they were to charge even £30 for office, they wouldn't have so much piracy.

Reaction score
I really started thinking about this... and I think I caught onto to something... the Music Industry willl never lower their prices to a point that we are satisfied.

Lets say they sell 35 cds at $20.00 a cd. They then make roughly 700.00 minus whatever fees they have. And their are 65 known copies bootlegged... so thats a loss of $1300.00 35+65 = 100

Now lets say they dropped thier proce to $5.00 a cd. And they sell ALL 100 disks and have 0 piracy. This is almost 3x thier original sales. They only make $500.00. Also thier inintial cost went up because they sold more material.

So sadly I don't see them lowering their prices very much in the near future

Last edited:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Raje said:
I really started thinking about this... and I think I caught onto to something... the Music Industry willl never lower their prices to a point that we are satisfied.

Lets say they sell 35 cds at $20.00 a cd. They then make roughly 700.00 minus whatever fees they have. And their are 65 known copies bootlegged... so thats a loss of $1300.00 35+65 = 100

Now lets say they dropped thier proce to $5.00 a cd. And they sell ALL 100 disks and have 0 piracy. This is almost 3x thier original sales. They only make $500.00. Also thier inintial cost went up because they sold more material.

So sadly I don't see them lowering their prices very much in the near future
Guess who paid attention in Maths lessons .....:D

Reaction score
However,

The more CD's they manufacture, the lower the cost per unit - this being economies of scale.

Guess who paid attention in Business Studies

Reaction score
+ they would never reduce it to $5 (£3), thats just stupid

guess who doesn't do maths or business studies :O

hang on i do do maths :/

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
Quote: "It's OK to make MP3 copies of CDs or albums that you own providing they are only for your own use."

by itsme, page two of this thread

I suggest you read this:

17.--(1) The copying of the work is an act restricted
by the copyright in every description of copyright
work; and references in this Part to copying and
copies shall be construed as follows.

(2) Copying in relation to a literary, dramatic,
musical or artistic work means reproducing the work in
any material form.

This includes storing the work in any medium by
electronic means.

and

21.--(1) The making of an adaptation of the work is an
act restricted by the copyright in a literary,
dramatic or musical work.

For this purpose an adaptation is made when it is
recorded, in writing or otherwise.

These are extracts from:
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_3.htm

This oulaws ANY copying of ANY copyrighted material, EVER. So little people know the full extent of this law, that even the BBC got it wrong - they said in a 2003 article about a new copyright directive that "copying for personal use may now be illegal". The fact is, it was already illegal and has been for years.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
£12.99 for a CD eh...
mmm would not pay it unless..

The music industry gave me a choice of say 5,000 songs and let me put 15 on a CD with a fancy cover and a professional disc and delivered it to me..

Mmmm do they offer that legally ?

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
That's a great idea, I would pay that for 15 songs I like.

That's why download sites are so popular, it gets around the problem of fillers on albums.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My goodness I've been breaking the law for 30 years :eek:

Slap on the cuffs guv, it's a fair cop, sing sing here I come.

In my defence, m'lud, I have supported the music industry for a lengthier period by buying copious amounts of records and also broadcasting music to the public for the same amount of time, thus encouraging more sales of new music.

I think a conditional discharge and a warning may be in order here and I promise to burn those two tea chests full of cassettes I have stored in my lockup :p

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
You can go free my son.. as long as you tell me your all time favourite 5 songs and they....
1. made masses of dosh for the music industry
2. there are no howls of derision from the gallery
3. you sign me your release form

Reaction score
Electronics & Photo Fan said:
Quote: "It's OK to make MP3 copies of CDs or albums that you own providing they are only for your own use."

by itsme, page two of this thread

I suggest you read this:

17.--(1) The copying of the work is an act restricted
by the copyright in every description of copyright
work; and references in this Part to copying and
copies shall be construed as follows.

(2) Copying in relation to a literary, dramatic,
musical or artistic work means reproducing the work in
any material form.

This includes storing the work in any medium by
electronic means.

and

21.--(1) The making of an adaptation of the work is an
act restricted by the copyright in a literary,
dramatic or musical work.

For this purpose an adaptation is made when it is
recorded, in writing or otherwise.

These are extracts from:
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1988/Ukpga_19880048_en_3.htm

This oulaws ANY copying of ANY copyrighted material, EVER. So little people know the full extent of this law, that even the BBC got it wrong - they said in a 2003 article about a new copyright directive that "copying for personal use may now be illegal". The fact is, it was already illegal and has been for years.

Now the funny thing is that my post came from MS [legall]support web site.

There are laws! Upon laws! Upon laws! Regarding copyright so tell me where does it end?

If I want to listen to music I will and nobody will stop me, unless of course I break the law! Now when they the judges get it correct and only then will we the public really know where we stand.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Unfortunately laws only count when the masses are covered . Let me explain or try to..
There are 20 people all united in fighting a cause.. the enforcer listens
all 20 are protected by size (20 v 1)
Then one has a change of heart , regardless of right/wrong he is now alone and vulnerable and hey presto .. the law trounces him and spits him out..

The moral is that if enough of you believe and stay together..common sense prevails and right will win ..

Do you know what i am trying to say ??

Reaction score
Rush said:
Unfortunately laws only count when the masses are covered . Let me explain or try to..
Then one has a change of heart , regardless of right/wrong he is now alone and vulnerable and hey presto .. the law trounces him and spits him out..

The moral is that if enough of you believe and stay together..common sense prevails and right will win ..

Yep! united we stand divided we fall.;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rush said:
You can go free my son.. as long as you tell me your all time favourite 5 songs and they....
1. made masses of dosh for the music industry
2. there are no howls of derision from the gallery
3. you sign me your release form

Top 5 songs eh? Too hard cos there are too many, but here's five off the top of my head:

1) I Second That Emotion - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles.
2) Mirror Man - Captain Beefheart & The Magic and The Magic Band
3) Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chilli Peppers
4) The State That I am In - Belle & Sebastian
5) Madam George - Van Morrison

Like I said, too too many to choose from, maybe a top 100 might cover it ;)

All of those songs have made money, some a lot more than others.

As for howls of derision, I'll take my chances and hope the rotten tomato seller has gone home :D

Release form? I already gone, South Circular, M25, A303 to Windy Ridge hideaway, overlooking Watergate Bay to wait for the Spring and a high surf.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Rush said:

History shows that, at least in the last few centuries, the law has usually been moulded to fit the people's wishes. If not we get poll tax riots, happened about 400 years ago and about 15 years ago, if memory serves me right.

But it's usually a lengthy process and always with concessions.

But yes, I think I know what you're getting at.

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Verdict
Freedom only because you did`nt include any x-factor wannabe`s songs/covers
Second that emotion (Japan ..80`s) is a mega fav of mine sorry too young for smokey`s original

As for your hideaway i kept going round in circles !!

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Flops just so long as there's no Britney spears or backstreet boys there then I'll forgive you... now, I don't suppose I could have a rummage through those tea chests?

Oh, just an idle query as I know copyright laws have jumped through all sorts of hoops over the last few years, but back when I used to write fiction copyright used to expire after 50years? Is that still so? If it's covered in the linked stuff then I'm sorry, I'm in a mega rush these days (got a homeschool inspector comming on thursday) so I haven't had time to do more than a quick flyby here.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
What I meant was, that the law prevents any copying, blanket. But, it depends on how far you take the law, I mean if you give someone a friendly punch on the arm, thats assualt if you take the ;aw literally. No-one is going to stop using MP3 players and making their own CD compilations, just because the law says they can't. It's an unenforceable law. The point I am making is, most things are illegal, where do you draw the line?

i.e. file sharing, and yes I would use it if there was no chance of legal repercussions.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
cirianz said:
Flops just so long as there's no Britney spears or backstreet boys there then I'll forgive you... now, I don't suppose I could have a rummage through those tea chests?

Don't have a list of the cassettes, it would take me too long to catalogue them.

I'll probably record a few, the rarities, but don't quite know what to do with them all, to be honest. I may make some storage for them and use them, most sound good, they're all on Maxell XLII & TDK SA.

In the meantime, have a rummage through CD list, in MS Excel 2003 format: CD List. It's zipped, right click and select 'Save target As'.

Ask a Question