Opinions on keyboard & mouse choice

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In my bedroom I have two computers sharing a monitor via vga/dvi inputs. They each have their own keyboard & mouse. Audio from both is plugged into a hi-fi system centred around a Pioneer A400 amplifier.

One of the machines is an old socket A machine which I use mostly to play old games on in Win 98 like Quake, Hexen II, Nocturne, Shadowman and other games from that era.

I'm using a Logitech cheapie wireless mouse/keyboard combo with it atm but they really aren't very good at all for fps's so I figure I'll upgrade them.

I've done a lot of browsing and decided to try something different from my usual Logitech choices and would apreciate anybody's opinion on these two:

Roccat Arvo Gaming Keyboard

Steel Series Kinzu Gaming Mouse

These peripherals don't have to be state of the art as I don't game online with this machine and all the games are old games. In fact the keyboard for the price is probably something of an extravagence but I'm curious and the compact size is a bonus.

I have a couple of Logi G5's and a Logi G5 keyboard on other machines atm and I like Logitech a lot but would like to try something different.

I've tried a couple of Razer mice in the past and din't get on with them at all.

I don't like Microsoft keyboards much compared to Logitech but I've no idea what their gaming mice are like.

So, any comments and opinions apreciated :)

PS: I have two ofThese mousemats, one in each room which will be used with the new mouse.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Not my cup of tea for the keyboard, I think it just looks too compact for me - although if that's a bonus for you then it may do the trick :D.

Logitech keyboards are my normal choice, but this Razor keyboard looked interesting : http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Raze...00180600-R3W1-Non-slip-Rubber-Backlit-Keys-UK. I'm not sure if it's any better than their mice though. I love my G11 :nod: Mutt's nuts and all that :D.

I really like the look of the mouse though, and if the lack of buttons isn't a problem then it looks like a good choice. I only really use the left/right click plus the scroll wheel - even though my mouse has a few extras. Perhaps one day I'll map the buttons to do something clever in game, but I need to get used to them.

Is there a reason you're not using a KVM switch so you can share keyboards too? I seem to remember there was, so forgive me if you've already mentioned this :blush:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Ian :)

I'm not using a KVM switch as for some reason the Socket A machine made the KVM switch I'm using in my living room (for monitor only and the one I done the review on) go faulty. I had to rma it (in fact I actually drove to the warehouse in Surrey and exchanged it).

I've posted this at Hexus and Icrontic as well and I'm getting a distinctly mixed feedback, interesting.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Love Logi stuff myself, cant beat it. :)

Rocatt do seem to make good stuff, though the Kone mouse had a massive issue with the wheel falling out after a while!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Cherry Keyboards :)

I used to go out of my way to buy Cherry keyboards ... they used to have a metal backplate which gave them a nice weighty "I ain't gonna move" feel.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is interesting, over 3 forums, so far, I haven't had one really positive thing said about my choices.

Mucks, I was actually considering a Cherry keyboard, they're good.

Also had Filco keyboards recommended to me but they're very expensive for what is just a basic keyboard.

Ok, let's look at Logitech again.

Far as I can see with mice I have two choices, the G500 at £47.00 or the MX518 at £27.00.

I could either buy the G500 to replace a G5 on my main setup and use the G5 on the Win 98 setup or buy an MX518.

With the keyboard, a G11 is only £26.00.

Trouble is, Scan don't stock the G11 and OCUK - who stock the G11, MX518 and G500 - want a whopping £8.75 minimum postage which imo is bang out of order. I get free postage at Scan.

I'm leaning towards the G11 & MX518 and also strongly considering a Cherry keyboard.

Might just see what they have down at PC World, lol

Bit of an eye-opener, this one, the Roccat keyboard has not been spoken of unfavourably but it seems there's a universal thumbs-down for the Steel Series mice.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Me Ocz Dominatrix mouse suits me pretty well and their Behemoth is nearly the same. It may be of interest and is not expensive. :)

http://tech-reviews.co.uk/reviews/ocz-behemoth-laser-gaming-mouse/6/

I was going to ask you about that mouse as I remember you speaking well of it but it seems it's no longer manufactured as I can't find it in stock at any UK suppliers.

I've just noticed the Logi G500 is available collect-in-store from PC World for £43.00.

Excellent mouse and no postage, looks like a contender :)

PC World also do the Saitek gaming keyboard for £30.00, that's also a contender I think.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The G500 is the muts nuts Flops, i love it. 100% recommended here.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In the end went with the Logi G500 and a Saitek Eclipse II keyboard which I collected instore from PC World for £72.80.

I've put the G500 on my main machine and it's fantastic :thumb:

The G5 mouse that came off of main machine will now go to old Socket A machine for mostly Win 98 games.

Haven't tried the keyboard yet but it's a nice compact size, seems well built and weighs very heavy, probably has a steel plate in it to stop it moving about. Also has large solid rubber feet.

I hope the Win 98 OS sees the USB peripherals without the need for PS2 adapters as the old wireless keyboard/mouse combo was connected to PS2 ports.

V_R: Do you use the Setpoint software for your G500 within Win 7 or just let Win 7 use it's own drivers? In fact, I'm not sure whether there is a Setpoint software setup for Win 7 as at one time there wasn't for my G5.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the Saitek, i have one and it is surprisingly heavy for a keyboard. Seems to be fairly robust and has a really nice feel to it when typing, i'm sure you'll like it flopps

As for a mouse, i use a Microsoft IntellMouse and that only because it has nice big side buttons for going backwards and forwards when browsing the net

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes Flops i use the Setpoint II software, as i can use it to have more adjustability on the DPI settings and can also map the other buttons that windows wont. :)

Link

Edit: Link fixed.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, thanks V_R I'll load Setpoint.

The Saitek keyboard is very good as well. no chance of it moving about, heavy and feet that grip well. I also like the choice of three background colours for the illuminated keys and the dimmer control. I liked it so much I put it on my AMD machine in the bedroom and put the Logitech corded media keyboard from that machine onto the Win 98 machine.

Better that way as the media keyboard works via PS2 and I had a helluva job getting the USB G5 mouse to work in Win 98 but then anything is always difficult to get to work in Win 98.

So, me one happy bunny and I've just played some Quake with a G5 mouse and things are how they should be :)

Also just had a few rounds of CoD_1 & CoD_2 online to try the Saitek keyboard and it's a goodie. The keys have a feel all their own, neither like Logitech or Microsoft keyboards. If you're after a basic illuminated gaming keyboard for a reasonable price, it's £30.00 well spent imo. It doesn't have any programmable keys but it does have the basic multimedia keys.

And the G500 for £43.00 at PC World imo is a very worthwhile purchase :thumb:

Just by way of mentioning I also bought some HP colour inkjet cartridges in PC World, their prices were the cheapest I'd seen in High Street stores and on a par with online prices.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep gotta say i thought the G5 was good but this G500 is really good! Took a little getting used to, but now its all very good indeed.

Ask a Question