Yahoo!

Reaction score
Hi all
Any one noticed that Yahoo gets installed on your PC when you download non related items?
I don't want Yahoo but it has been installed in my 'Programme' files uninvited so that whenever I start a new tab in Firefox, it defaults to Yahoo rather than my home page google.
I tried deleting it but cant as a window appears saying ymmapi.dll is being used by other programmes.
Anyone know how to purge my system of Yahoo?
Regards Terry:confused:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Toolbar? Keep an eye out for tick boxes when your running though an install.... You often get crap trying to install along with programs now.. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, as V_R said, lots of freebie software apps - such as Foxit PDF Reader - try and do a sneaky and get you to install a toolbar, you have to watch each install screen very carefully. Even some paid apps such as Nero try it on.

Try disconnecting your internet connection by pulling the cable then using task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to make sure Firefox isn't running then try to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar from the control panel.

If you still can't get shot of it, start in Safe Mode and uninstall then.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah i missed the bit about not being able to uninstall it, if its a firefox addon try looking under Tool > Addons in firefox itself. :)

Reaction score
Thanks guys, will give it a go
Regards Terry
user.gif

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I eventually managed to delete the Yahoo file from my 'programme files'. It took some doing, using 'Unlocker' & then had to except some of the files would be deleted on the next re-boot.
The recycle bin contained hundreds of Yahoo files, which I emptied.
However, it has not stopped Yahoo appearing when I open a new tab in Firefox. I have checked every setting in Firefox but cannot stop Yahoo appearing.
Regards Terry.
wallbash.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You could try uninstalling Firefox from Control panel and then also deleting any Firefox folders, probably residing in Program Files.

Then reinstall Firefox. It may work, although the Yahoo intrusion may have made a registry entry which reinstalls it when you reinstall Firefox.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reinstalling Firefox wont help as things like that are stored on your profiles folder in AppData.

Have we confirmed if this is actually a toolbar or not yet? I just re read your OP again and you said...

I don't want Yahoo but it has been installed in my 'Programme' files uninvited so that whenever I start a new tab in Firefox, it defaults to Yahoo rather than my home page google.
That sounds like your homepage has changed?

Simple fix, Goto Firefox > Tools > Options > General Tab > Set your homepage to www.google.co.uk

What (if anything) do you have Yahoo related in Add and Remove Programs? (Programs and Features in Vista/Win7)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
Reinstalling Firefox wont help as things like that are stored on your profiles folder in AppData.

Can you tell I don't use Firefox? And there's another reason why, probably... ;)

Ok, it seemed like a sensible suggestion, but I did suspect the offending article may reload on a reinstallation and did point that out.

I'll, erm, retire on this one methinks :D

Reaction score
Hi guys
My home page is set as
http://en-US.start3.mozilla.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official
Although I have removed Yahoo from everywhere I can find, searched with 'Search Everything', 'Revo Uninstaller' & 'Add / Remove Programmes'. Also run 'Reg Cure'.
When I used to open a new tab in Firefox it used to be blank but now comes up with Yahoo. The sneaky devils must have buried it somewhere in my system.
Thanks for your help, Terry

Ask a Question