Windows XP Yahoo Messenger File Transfer Problems

Reaction score
Hi all.

Not sure if I am in the right place for help with my problem.

I run Windows XP Home and have Symantec Norton Antivirus and Firewall.

Until recently I was quite happily sending files and photos to my friend using Yahoo Messenger 7 then upgraded to version 8. Now when I attempt to send a file/photo we both get the message ' A problem has occurred. File Transfer stopped'. ??????????????

I have been in touch with Yahoo 'support' by email (they are worse than useless with NO telephone support number that I can find) and they keep telling me I have to configure my Norton firewall. So I got in touch with my ISP support centre (BT) who remotely accessed my computer , checked my firewall and found no problems. I recontacted Yahoo who told me I should contact Symantec !!!!

So I have uninstalled Yahoo Messenger Version 8 and and then reinstalled version 7 and then back to 8 (ensuring all associated files are removed each time) but I still cannot transfer files or photos. Anyone any idea why??

Yahoo told me I should make sure my computer is configured to something like
protocol http then filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com on port 80 - how do I do that?

It is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had this problem on MSN before I could not send anything. But it worked when I sent it as a ZIP or RAR file.

Hope this helps.

wizkid

Reaction score
Hiya

Thanks for asking and yes I am.

Although I can now send photo files I can't send music files (WAV)
This in part may well be due to the fact that my friend has removed Windows Media PLayer from his system - :wall: - and he keeps telling me it is MY computer with the problem !!!!!!!!

Will let you know how I get on once he reinstalls it

Thanks again

:cool:

Reaction score
Hi
Well I have the same problem here.
I can't transfer any pics with yahoo messenger 8 when my norton firewall is enabled (it's ok when I disable it)
I have of course permitted everything from yahoo in programs.
Now you say :Yahoo told me I should make sure my computer is configured to something like
protocol http then filetransfer.msg.yahoo.com on port 80
Can someone tell me how to do this: I suppose I go to "advanced" in norton & the "add" a new rule...but then what????
Thanx fo any help...

PS my windows firewall is disabled.

Last edited:
Reaction score
fastturtle

What version of Norton Firewall are you using?

You could also try downloading some free ones like Comodo

wizkid

Ask a Question