xy scatter chart-How can you make the axis equal for a 1H:1V plot

I want to plot similar values in the x and y directions and I want the axis
to be the same scale. If it were a map. I would want the map to be the same
scale in both the x and y directions. I could then measure angles or
distances on the graph correctly.

The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale on the x and y
axis independantly and then automatically stretches the axis (x and y) to fit
the page. the result is that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

Otherwise, I need to use another program or autocad to plot my values.

James Silverton

mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:

m> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the scale
m> on the x and y axis independently and then automatically
m> stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the page. the result is
m> that the graph is not true scale in both directions.

But you can make the units of x and y the same and make the
chart area square by clicking on it and moving the markers. I
don't know how to do this automatically but I can do it
satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could hold a ruler to
the monitor to make it more exact.

James Silverton.

I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of stretching the graph,
but to get it correct, you do end up printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

David Biddulph

I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of stretching the
graph,
but to get it correct, you do end up printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

One trick is to use the rectangle drawing tool (with the shift key) to daw a
square, then adjust the scaling of the chart (or stretch it) to match the
gridlines to the square.

James Silverton

David wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 22:10:35 +0100:

??>> "James Silverton" wrote:
??>>
??>>> mark wrote on Fri, 19 May 2006 12:35:02 -0700:
??>>>
m>>>> The xy scatter chart seem to allow you to change the
m>>>> scale on the x and y axis independently and then
m>>>> automatically stretches the axis (x and y) to fit the
m>>>> page. the result is that the graph is not true scale in
m>>>> both directions.

??>>> But you can make the units of x and y the same and make
??>>> the chart area square by clicking on it and moving the
??>>> markers. I don't know how to do this automatically but I
??>>> can do it satisfactorily, IMHO, by eye. I suppose I could
??>>> hold a ruler to the monitor to make it more exact.

??>> I really need it to be exact. I've used the method of
??>> stretching the graph, but to get it correct, you do end up
??>> printing, measureing, adjusting, etc.

DB> One trick is to use the rectangle drawing tool (with the
DB> shift key) to daw a square, then adjust the scaling of the
DB> chart (or stretch it) to match the gridlines to the square.

That is a bit "tricky" but I just tried it and it can be done
tho' you have to remember to set the scale height and width the
same (probably 100%) when drawing the square if you want it to
print correctly. I don't know if I could meet the criteria of
exactness that the OP wants :)

James Silverton.

I would like it to be exact, however, I do appreciate this suggestion. It
kind of boggles me that you can't just "lock the aspect ratio" of your graph,
however, you can to draw a square.

Another problem I found is that even when you scale it to a square, the
default printing scheme will stretch to the page. To overcome this I had to
go to print preview-setup-chart- and select "scale to page" instead of "fit
to page".

It seems silly that excel has many formulas, is routinely used to solve
equations, yet can't make the scale on two axes equal. Where is the
"engineer" in "computer engineer"?
-mark

Jon,

I have never tried using VBA so this will be a first. I am amazed at how
complicated something seemingly simple is in this case.

Thank you.

Jon Peltier

Well, since the software was designed by people that don't actually use it
in combat, it probably works differently in some ways than we'd like. The
plot outside area (encompassing the axes etc.) keeps its shape pretty well,
but that's not the dimension that people care about.

- Jon