the image (for example *.msi support)? Did you successfully build an SDI
image from that and boot into?
Dietmar

K

KM

Dietmar,
Hi Konstantin,
Your post-fba image is about 825MB.

This is not exactly XPProEmulation size as you had to add your platform support to the image.
Anyway, the size is close to what I have got here ~800Mb.
Which size does it have after shrinking it with NTFS compressed?

I guess ~500-600Mb.
Which features from XPPro are not included and CANT be installed after building
the image (for example *.msi support)?

I don't think I am able to compare XPProEmulation (which is esensially an XPe image) and XP Pro.
XPProEmulation just promizes you to have all the software components from XPe/SP1 database. Nothing beyond that.
Did you successfully build an SDI image from that and boot into?

Never tried that. I just did not have any reason to do that.
There is also known limit for the SDI image size (500Mb).

Regards,
Konstantin

S

Slobodan Brcin \(eMVP\)

Dietmar,

Just to add few more lines to Konstantins response.
I don't think I am able to compare XPProEmulation (which is esensially an XPe image) and XP Pro.
XPProEmulation just promizes you to have all the software components from XPe/SP1 database. Nothing beyond that.

Even all components do not mean that you will have all XP binaries and registry entries present. There are files in repository that
are not covered by any of available components. So if you know that something is missing or not working then you must figure out by
your self how to find that file/reg entry and to add it to XPe image.

Regards,
Slobodan

S

Srivathsan

Hi KM

Will the XP Emulation tool work for SP2???
I imported the XPE tools to my database. Opened a configuration in the
TD. added the XP Emulation Left the rest to default (Group filter ->
Software :) but it is showing - Number of XPe database components =
13607 when the visiblity is 100. When i added the components it begins
to add all the components to the configuration.
Where am i Wrong??
I need the SP2 XP Emulation to test the ICA 8.1 NFuse Problem.
Thanks
Srivathsan.A

K

KM

Srivathsan,

You use XPProEmulation component? I don't think you really needed it. What you need is the final project - XPProEmulation SLX (sorry
for confusing names).
You can find it under the same folder on www.xpefiles.com. Although it is SP1 project, you can still use it with SP2 ToolKit. Only
thing to keep in mind is that you get SP1 binaries after the build (which may be fine for your testing purposes now).

I haven't had yet time to upgrade XPProEmulation SLX to SP2 :-(.
Better, as you started, create a new one from scratch using XPProEmulation component script.

I will probably do that soon since there may be a demand for it.

KM

PS. Not important but, lower the visibility there to 0. There are some components with Visibility=50.

S

Srivathsan

Hi KM

I am talking about
XPProEmulation (This tool is a CMI automated script to add group
filtered components from XPe database to your Configuration.)
Under the XPeTools.sld from the www.xpefiles.com and not the
XPProEmulation.slx.

I don't think you really needed it. What you need is the final project
- XPProEmulation SLX > You can find it under the same folder on
www.xpefiles.com. Although it is SP1 project, you can still use it with
SP2 ToolKit. Only
thing to keep in mind is that you get SP1 binaries after the build
(which may be fine for your testing purposes now).

I Installed ICA 8.1 in SP1 and found it working. But trying it with
SP2 gave me a problem. So i Want to Validate with XPProEmulation so as
to find whether any component is missing.

I tried with the Script component but i got added with all the
component in the database.
Please help me out.
Srivathsan.A

K

KM

Srivathsan,

Now I see why you need the SP2 version of the project.

Since I haven't ported the project to SP2 yet, you have a few choices:

- Open XPProEmulation SP1 SLX and use TD Auto configuration upgrade feature. It will take some time and may end up with an error
(I never tried this here).

- Open XPProEmulation SP1 SLX, add SmartUpgrade/XPeTools component to the configuration and use this component script to upgrade
the configuration to SP2. This may work better, although it again will take some time. I haven't tested this either.

- Start a new empty SP2 project. Add and use XPProEmulation/XPeTools component to add all the Software components to the
configuration. Actually you started this earlier. When you set the filter to Software you will certainly add all the components from
the Software category. It will take some long time until the script is finished. (please read the component's Release Notes to fix
IE script timeout issues).

The 13607 you saw is the number of components in SP2 with visibility >= 100 (it would be ~13900 if you lower the visibility to 0).
Please set the Number of components to be added to the configuration (it set by default to 100). If you want to add all the software
components, you will need to set it to 13607. The script will enumerate through all the components to add only those who satisfy the
current filter options. You may expect the script to add around 2800-3000 components to the configuration.

And please save the project as often as possible since it is very unstable script because of TD bugs there.

Also, before you build the final project please manually remove a few components (like MUI Prototype, EWF, etc.) that are mentioned
in the Rel.Notes. With those you will get some build errors.

I strongly recommend you to have at least 1 Gb of RAM if you are planning to play with XPProEmulation project in TD.
Also, plan on leaving the machine working overnight so that the script can finish with adding all the components.

Again, eventually I am going to do all the above myself. It's just that I don't have a machine available now with XPe/SP2 and 1G
RAM.

Regards,
KM

Ask a Question