Windows XP XPPro client with same name took down AD on Win2K server

Reaction score
I have a frustrating problem. I turned on a workstation client to configure to the network that ended up having the same computer name as the server. Unbelievable. Now the AD is gone and I get an error trying to open the monitor:

Naming information cannot be located because the target principle name is incorrect.

The company didn't have a system backup to restore AD, there are no other server to replicate from. It's just this server. Does anyone know any way to recover AD at this point? I would hope when the server couldn't figure out what was going on, it would rename a file or put the last configuration somewhere rather than just throwing it's settings away. How could a workstation take down the server like this?

Help. I'd appreciate any thought and thanks in advance.

Reaction score
ct, you'll have to give more info before i can even start to help. what do you mean AD has gone??

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

Specifically what happened was:

I added some computers to our network and one happened to have the same computer name as the server. I could not log in to that computer as it told me I didn't exist. When it seemed I lost network connectivity I went to the server.

I clicked on the object computers and it said it was deleted. I stopped the monitor and restarted it and then when I clicked on the AD monitor I got the following error:

"Naming information cannot be located beause the target principle name is incorrect". The directory services would launch but I just get a big red x with no domain, objects, users etc. listed and no one can log into the network now.

I rebooted the server and then got the error that a duplicate name exists on the network. I found the offending workstation and shut it down. I then rebooted the server in the hopes it would sort itself out.

It resolved it's DHCP issues but in the event viewer it said the DNS domain name controller could not be retrieved error 52e. When I launch the AD monitor I still get the same naming error.

Ask a Question