XP will not recognize blank DVDs

Reaction score
My question concerns my new Plextor PX 716-A DVD-RW drive. The drive will not recognize blank DVDs. After scanning the blank DVD media it changes the drive designation from DVD-RW Drive (F:) to CD Drive (F:) and XP asks which CD software I want to use when inserting this type of media (it seems to think the DVD is a CD). It plays DVDs with no problems and I did successfully upgrade the firmware.

The kicker is that I purchased the Plextor because I thought (and apparently was wrong) that my
NEC DVD RW ND-2500A was the problem when this issue first appeared. (It did the same thing) Since the same thing is happening with my new Plextor DVD drive should I now assume that it is a software issue? I've seen that there have been similar issues attributed to DVD copy protection in Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Professional and this began around that time. Has anyone had any reports of this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much,
Gregg

Ask a Question