XP vs. XP 64-bit

Daniel Ostrander

Given: Workstation with dual Xeon 2.4, 1 GB Ram, 200 GB HD

1) For XP 64-bit, I understand it requires device drivers
to be written for 64-bit, 32-bit drivers will not work; is
there a tabulated list of companies and the drivers they
have submitted for signing?

2) 32-bit applications will run on 64-bit under
an "emulation" mode, but will run slower due to extra
processing overhead; will the overall speed impact be
approximately slower, equal to or still faster than 32-bit
XP?

3) Is there a tabulated list of companies and products
that have produced applications for 64-bit?

4) Did I miss anything?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Newsgroup Support for Windows for 64-Bit Extended Systems
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/extended/trial/support.mspx

Windows XP 64-Bit Edition for 64-Bit Extended Systems Customer Preview Program
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/downloads/upgrade.asp

List of Limitations in 64-Bit Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282423&Product=winxp

Cannot Install Some Programs on Windows XP for 64-bit Platforms
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298218&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Given: Workstation with dual Xeon 2.4, 1 GB Ram, 200 GB HD
|
| 1) For XP 64-bit, I understand it requires device drivers
| to be written for 64-bit, 32-bit drivers will not work; is
| there a tabulated list of companies and the drivers they
| have submitted for signing?
|
| 2) 32-bit applications will run on 64-bit under
| an "emulation" mode, but will run slower due to extra
| processing overhead; will the overall speed impact be
| approximately slower, equal to or still faster than 32-bit
| XP?
|
| 3) Is there a tabulated list of companies and products
| that have produced applications for 64-bit?
|
| 4) Did I miss anything?

S.Heenan

Daniel said:
Given: Workstation with dual Xeon 2.4, 1 GB Ram, 200 GB HD

1) For XP 64-bit, I understand it requires device drivers
to be written for 64-bit, 32-bit drivers will not work; is
there a tabulated list of companies and the drivers they
have submitted for signing?

2) 32-bit applications will run on 64-bit under
an "emulation" mode, but will run slower due to extra
processing overhead; will the overall speed impact be
approximately slower, equal to or still faster than 32-bit
XP?

Given you now have a 32-bit SMP machine, moving to an AMD Opteron based SMP
machine will do you little good.

Windows XP for the AMD64 is still in Beta.
Only a very small number of 64-bit applications exist.
The money you spend on moving to an Opteron based system will not be
rewarded by greatly increased performance.

I suggest you wait a while and see what happens with the BTX form factor,
PCI-X, etc. Your current workstation is about as powerful as the x86
platform gets.

kurttrail

http://www.intel.com/products/server/processors/server/xeon/

--