XP Time Synchronise doesn't

BJH

Hi

I can't figure why my auto time synch has stopped working. In Date and Time
Properties I have time.windows.com selected as the server and the error
message shown is:

"An error occurred getting the status of the last synchronization. The RPC
server is unavailable"

If I check in Services, Windows Time Properties the status is shown as
"stopped" but if I click on the start button I get "Could not start the
Windows Time Service on Local Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the
file specified."

The path to executable is listed as
"C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"

Any suggestions? other than "buy a clock" :)

James Silverton

BJH wrote on Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:13:26 +0000:

B> I can't figure why my auto time synch has stopped working.
B> In Date and Time Properties I have time.windows.com selected
B> as the server and the error message shown is:

B> "An error occurred getting the status of the last
B> synchronization. The RPC server is unavailable"

B> If I check in Services, Windows Time Properties the status
B> is shown as "stopped" but if I click on the start button I
B> get "Could not start the Windows Time Service on Local
B> Computer. Error 2: The system cannot find the file
B> specified."

B> The path to executable is listed as
B> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs"

B> Any suggestions? other than "buy a clock" :)

There is more than one time server. I am currently using
time.nist.gov tho' I have also used time.windows.com. For no
reason that I have ever been able to deduce, connection to
either sometimes gets flaky. I usually just switch servers until
the next time it happens.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland.

BJH

There is more than one time server. I am currently using
time.nist.gov tho' I have also used time.windows.com. For no
reason that I have ever been able to deduce, connection to
either sometimes gets flaky. I usually just switch servers until
the next time it happens.

My other PC synchs fine on time.windows.com, so I suspect its
something to do with XP? I've tried a selection of time servers and I
always get the same error.