XP sp2 Firewall

Paul Scott

We have 220 computers running XP Pro. We use Dameware to
remote to our computers. The Firewall within XP blocks
Dameware. This mean after installing sp2 we'll have to go
to every computer and disable the Firewall.

Is there an Admin version of XP sp2 with the Firewall
disabled?

Thanks,

Paul

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1&displaylang=en

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

:

| We have 220 computers running XP Pro. We use Dameware to
| remote to our computers. The Firewall within XP blocks
| Dameware. This mean after installing sp2 we'll have to go
| to every computer and disable the Firewall.
|
| Is there an Admin version of XP sp2 with the Firewall
| disabled?
|
| Thanks,
|
| Paul

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Paul said:
We have 220 computers running XP Pro. We use Dameware to
remote to our computers. The Firewall within XP blocks
Dameware. This mean after installing sp2 we'll have to go
to every computer and disable the Firewall.

Is there an Admin version of XP sp2 with the Firewall
disabled?
Hi

WF_XPSP2.doc states that you can create the following registry
values to disable the firewall:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile
\EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfile
\EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

Deploy those registry settings before installing SP2.

Then you can later on decide if you want to configure the FW
to let Dameware through and then enable the FW.

WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

Stephen Harris

Paul Scott said:
We have 220 computers running XP Pro. We use Dameware to
remote to our computers. The Firewall within XP blocks
Dameware. This mean after installing sp2 we'll have to go
to every computer and disable the Firewall.

Is there an Admin version of XP sp2 with the Firewall
disabled?

Thanks,

Paul

Quoting the illustrious scripting servitor:

"Hi

As it looks like you are most concerned about the effects of the
firewall, pre-configure the computers so SP2 does not enable the
firewall as part of the installation. Then you can later on
configure the firewall to what fits your environment before you
enable it again (if that is what you want) using e.g. netsh.exe.

WF_XPSP2.doc mentions that you can create the following registry
values *before* you install SP2 so the firewall will not activate
itself as part of the SP2 installation.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FirewallPolicy\DomainProfile
\EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\FirewallPolicy\StandardProfil
\EnableFirewall=0 (DWORD data type)

The netsh.exe syntax is also documented in WF_XPSP2.doc.

WF_XPSP2.doc "Deploying Windows Firewall Settings for Microsoft
Windows XP with Service Pack 2" is downloadable from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4454e0e1-61fa-447a-bdcd-499f73a637d1

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Why not use group policies to disable the firewall, rather than
visiting each workstation?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:

having both at once. - RAH

Andre Da Costa

Microsoft is suppose to release some new GPO's for IT Admins. I guess you
should see them out around late August.

Andre Da Costa

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Andre said:
Microsoft is suppose to release some new GPO's for IT Admins.
I guess you should see them out around late August.
Hi

I would think that is the new GPO settings that comes with WinXP SP2:

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Important information about XP SP2 .ADM Files
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#[email protected]

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: XP SP2 ADM File-Related Fixes Available From PSS
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: XP SP2 Version of Group Policy Reference Spreadsheet available
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=#bTLC#[email protected]

Known issues with the client administrative tools in Windows XP SP2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870703

Note that you will not be able to edit some of the Firewall GPO
configurations from Windows 2000, use Windows XP or Windows Server
2003 for this, more about this here:

From: Mark Williams [MSFT] ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Group Policy , XPSP2 Windows Firewall, 2000 Server
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ew#[email protected]