XP product key

grumbler

I have a problem with XP pro. I purchased one of the
original copies for my computer which went down for the
count last week. Hard drive errors finally got the best
of it. So I decided to to build it up again, new hard
drive, and motherboard, CPU. Went to reinstall XP and I
had put the product key thing safely away and I cannot
find it! So I can't reinstall XP! I have searched
everywhere, the old system is dead ,I have paid for a
valid license, and I even have the receipt of purchase.
I cannot believe there isn't something I can do to be
able to use this copy of XP! I paid for it, I have
proof. Anyone know what the procedure is be able to use
this?
thanks for your help

Carey Frisch [MVP]

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

| I have a problem with XP pro. I purchased one of the
| original copies for my computer which went down for the
| count last week. Hard drive errors finally got the best
| of it. So I decided to to build it up again, new hard
| drive, and motherboard, CPU. Went to reinstall XP and I
| had put the product key thing safely away and I cannot
| find it! So I can't reinstall XP! I have searched
| everywhere, the old system is dead ,I have paid for a
| valid license, and I even have the receipt of purchase.
| I cannot believe there isn't something I can do to be
| able to use this copy of XP! I paid for it, I have
| proof. Anyone know what the procedure is be able to use
| this?
| thanks for your help

Ron Martell

grumbler said:
I have a problem with XP pro. I purchased one of the
original copies for my computer which went down for the
count last week. Hard drive errors finally got the best
of it. So I decided to to build it up again, new hard
drive, and motherboard, CPU. Went to reinstall XP and I
had put the product key thing safely away and I cannot
find it! So I can't reinstall XP! I have searched
everywhere, the old system is dead ,I have paid for a
valid license, and I even have the receipt of purchase.
I cannot believe there isn't something I can do to be
able to use this copy of XP! I paid for it, I have
proof. Anyone know what the procedure is be able to use
this?
thanks for your help

Is the old machine so totally dead that it cannot be booted at all,
even in Safe Mode?

If you can get it running at all then then you can use the Windows XP
Product Key finder: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/keyfinder.exe
to report the key that was used for the install.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

JeffO

Since Windows XP is licensed for one computer, and MS
considers your computer to be almost entirely the combo
consisting of Motherboard+CPU+hard drive, I doubt you
will be allowed to reinstall the old copy. If it was one
computer and you replaced each at different times, you
would probably be avle to sweet-talk MS into re-
activating your copy. But in your case, you basically
have a different computer and are still trying to use the
same XP CD.
The Piper be wantin' mo money!
Sorry.

Lorne Smith

JeffO, this is only true for OEM copies of XP... The retail copy can be
installed on any other computer, as long as it's not installed on more than
1 at a time... Read the EULA...

Lorne

Jeff Wade [MSFT]

Hello Grumbler,

You can get replacements of CD or Product Keys by contacting Microsoft
Product Support Services. To locate the appropriate phone number for your
product, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;CNTACTMS

They will be able to assit you with your miussing Product Key issue.

Sincerely,
Jeff Wade [MS]
| From: "grumbler" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "grumbler" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XP product key
| Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:47:42 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| I have a problem with XP pro. I purchased one of the
| original copies for my computer which went down for the
| count last week. Hard drive errors finally got the best
| of it. So I decided to to build it up again, new hard
| drive, and motherboard, CPU. Went to reinstall XP and I
| had put the product key thing safely away and I cannot
| find it! So I can't reinstall XP! I have searched
| everywhere, the old system is dead ,I have paid for a
| valid license, and I even have the receipt of purchase.
| I cannot believe there isn't something I can do to be
| able to use this copy of XP! I paid for it, I have
| proof. Anyone know what the procedure is be able to use
| this?
| thanks for your help

Sincerely,

Jeffrey L. Wade
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
installed) license, it's stored on a holographic label that the PC
manufacturer is supposed to affix to the exterior of the PC case, or
on the bottom of a laptop. The Product Key is _not_ stored on, nor is
it in any way extractable from, the installation CD.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use AIDA32
Enterprise from http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php to find the Product
Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product Key;
therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be --
used for a re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
OS; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: