XP Pro SP2 Internet Connection & Time Out Problem

Jim

I have a desk top machine with 2 geg of memory that is having an Internet
connections problem. E-mail clients and things like mIRC seem to perform
fine. I use both IE and Firefox (latest versions). On both these browsers
some sites time out and refuse to reload. These are sites with a lot of
advertising that refresh often (DrudgeReoport, news sites, etc.). I have two
ThinkPad laptops both running XP Pro SP2. One with 1 geg and one with 512
meg. The 1 geg has the problem to a lesser degree than the desktop and the
512meg has no problem at all. The 512 laptop has been subject to very
little, if any, Microsoft, or other (like Flash), updates. The other laptop
less update exposure than the desktop.

All three machines access the internet through a Actiontec DSL Modem. I also
have a ATT PC card cell system access on the laptops. Using the PC card
access presents no problems. All machines can access the DSL Modem from the
native Actiontec 802.11g wireless network and I have Ethernet wired the
desktop.

When a problem occurs changing from the wireless to wired connection on the
desktop and re launching the browser usually solves the connection problem
temporarily. When a lock up occurs, both machines, you can still access
"reliable" sites, Weather.com being one. Sometimes, but no always, disabling
and then enabling the same connection solves the problem.

I've consulted with friends who are database administrators at large firms
without any solution. I'm a software developer my self although semi
retired and don't keep up with these operating system issues. I'd reinstall
XP except I don't know what it might accomplish seeing the problem with the
one laptop. The modem could be a problem, but it work fine with the second
laptop.

I could go on about the problem, but if anyone has any ideas PLEASE HELP.

Thanks,
Jim Benson
612.789.2984

thecreator

Hi Jim,

Why would you post your phone number on the Internet? I deleted in the
reply.

Are you running any software protecting software like SpyBot, McAfee or
any other programs that protect your Identity?

Have you been cleaning up your \Temp Folders, daily by manually cleaning
them out and also running Disk Cleanup?

Are you using a Router? Have you reset the Router to Factory Specs, yet
to help fix the problem?

Jim

This is one of the places where things get confusing and complicated.

Before I wired one connection directly to the desktop it had only the
wireless. The same problems occurred except the only solution was to reboot
either the modem or machine. Later I tried disabling and enabling the
connection from the control panel with mixed results. Also, one of the
laptops experiences the same problem and it is not wired. There I switch
between the 802 wireless and the ATT GSM (or what ever they call it). This
eliminates the "dual connection" theory I'm sorry to say. Wish it was that
simple. Another theory problem is that Outlook email, mIRC (an Internet
Relay Chat client) and other programs using the internet have no problems
with so ever.

I do monitor the connection strengths and they are always "excellent".

I'm still wondering about the advertising content/site/browser support for
graphics theory. All the sites that I have problems with are complicated
with sophisticated advertising connections. The straight forward sites have
no problems at any time. Even on the "good" laptop the Drudge Report site
will time out but reconnection is no problem. Even this is a recent problem.

Thanks for your interest. If I though this problem would be solved, as so
many are, by reinstalling Windows I'd do it in a heart beat. Don't think
that would solve this multi machine problem though. Also, I'm going to post
our private conversations back on the news group so others might see what
we've talked about and come up with other ideas. My inexperience with
newsgroups (don't use them much any more since I don't do much new
development any more) led me to reply directly to you instead of to the
group.

Thanks again,

Jim Benson