XP Pro SP2 hides from network

screwed

I'm having a difficult time with my home network. I have three Win2K SP4
systems, one XP Pro SP1 system, a laptop with XP Home SP2, and one XP Pro
SP2 system. I'm running through a wired Lynksys router with DHCP enabled
and a workgroup with file and print sharing (no internet access at the
present time). The XP SP1 and 2000 systems have no problems seeing or
accessing each other. The XP SP2 systems have no problems seeing and
accessing any of the 2000 or XPSP1 systems. The problem lies in the two XP
SP2 systems being seen by each other or the SP1 or 2000 systems. After ten
minutes or so, the SP2 systems disappear from Network places. I can use the
search feature to find and then access them. As long as the Explorer window
with the SP2 system remains active I can continue to access them. Once I
close the Explorer window though, they are hidden until I search for them
again. Anyone have any ideas on what is happening here and what I need to
do to correct this short of replacing SP2 with SP1? I read some of the
posts about network problems and will try some of the various suggestions
when I get home.

Thanks in advance.

Screwed Rude in the Frozen Tundra

Chuck

[...]

Any time visibility in Network Neighborhood comes and goes, you generally have a
browser conflict.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/04/nt-browser-or-why-cant-i-always-see.html>

Take a look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" from each computer, as a
start. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely:

Jason Tan

Hello,

I understand that the SP2 systems disappear from Network places after ten
minutes or so in a small workgroup network environment. If I have
misunderstood your concerns, please feel free to let me know.

I agree with Chuck that you may follow Chuck's suggestion using Browse tool
to check the issue. You may test it on a Windows XP PC to verify if master
browser exists in the domain when it disappears. I would like to provide
you with the steps as below:

1. Install the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools.
2. Go to command prompt, type "browstat status".

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-
9761-BA8011FABF38&displaylang=en

If the Master Browser and Backup Browser exist in the network, "Browstat
status" will show their computer name.

For example:
=====================
D:\Program Files\browstat status

Status for domain TEST on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6E196137-45F1-4045-BAF3-02A34A9AE49E}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: Computer1
Master browser is running build 3790
3 backup servers retrieved from master Computer1
\\COMPUTER2
\\COMPUTER3
\\Computer4
There are 10 servers in domain TEST on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6E196137-45F1-4045-BAF3-02A34A9AE49E}
There are 2 domains in domain TEST on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{6E196137-45F1-4045-BAF3-02A34A9AE49E}
Please post the result of "Browstat status".

If master browser exists, please perform a clean boot and test the issue
again.

To isolate the influence of additional applications, please boot the system
into a Clean Boot environment to see whether this problem continues:

1. Unplug all the unnecessary devices, with only the keyboard, the mouse
left.
2. Click Start, click Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in
the Open box, and then click OK.
3. In the Startup tab, click the "Disable All" button.
4. In the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" checkbox,
and then click the "Disable All" button.
5. Click OK and restart your computer.

310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks & Regards,

Jason Tan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "screwed" <[email protected]>
| Subject: XP Pro SP2 hides from network
| Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 16:56:00 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
|
| I'm having a difficult time with my home network. I have three Win2K SP4
| systems, one XP Pro SP1 system, a laptop with XP Home SP2, and one XP Pro
| SP2 system. I'm running through a wired Lynksys router with DHCP enabled
| and a workgroup with file and print sharing (no internet access at the
| present time). The XP SP1 and 2000 systems have no problems seeing or
| accessing each other. The XP SP2 systems have no problems seeing and
| accessing any of the 2000 or XPSP1 systems. The problem lies in the two
XP
| SP2 systems being seen by each other or the SP1 or 2000 systems. After
ten
| minutes or so, the SP2 systems disappear from Network places. I can use
the
| search feature to find and then access them. As long as the Explorer
window
| with the SP2 system remains active I can continue to access them. Once I
| close the Explorer window though, they are hidden until I search for them
| again. Anyone have any ideas on what is happening here and what I need
| do to correct this short of replacing SP2 with SP1? I read some of the
| posts about network problems and will try some of the various suggestions
| when I get home.
|
| Thanks in advance.
|
| Screwed Rude in the Frozen Tundra

I am also having this problem. I added a new PC with XP Pro and SP2 to my
network and my symptoms are the same as the situation that started this post.
I can use network shares on this machine, but it does not appear in Network
Neighborhood. I have other XP clients on this network, and they do appear,
but they did not come with SP2 preinstalled (and consequently not removable).
Several of these XP clients have even been upgraded to SP2, and yet still
appear in the net' neighborhood.! I've "reloaded" this PC several times,
turned off the firewall, checked that all the ports were open, all to no
avail. Please help! Several of my applications depend on this PC appearing
in the Network Neighborhood.

screwed

EPGeek said:
I am also having this problem. I added a new PC with XP Pro and SP2 to my
network and my symptoms are the same as the situation that started this
post.
I can use network shares on this machine, but it does not appear in
Network
Neighborhood. I have other XP clients on this network, and they do
appear,
but they did not come with SP2 preinstalled (and consequently not
removable).
Several of these XP clients have even been upgraded to SP2, and yet still
appear in the net' neighborhood.! I've "reloaded" this PC several times,
turned off the firewall, checked that all the ports were open, all to no
avail. Please help! Several of my applications depend on this PC
appearing
in the Network Neighborhood.

I feel your pain. In my case it doesn't matter if SP2 was pre-installed or
updated to SP2. In fact, one test I did with a working SP1 system was to
update to SP2. It started exhibiting the dissappearing act immediately. As
soon as i uninstalled SP2 it started working correctly again. I stall
haven't figured out what is causing the problem (I forgot to save the
information about the browser issues before I went home), I'm convinced it's
somehow connected to SP2. It's possible that it something in the browser
service that's causing the problem, but I can't be positive until I get home
and get a chance to run the diagnostics Chuck and Jason have outlined
previously (man I hate living without home internet access).

Good luck to you and I'll report back with the results.

Screwed

Jason Tan

Hi Screwed,

Thanks for your reply! In addition, please reconfirm if the issue is
related to firewall. Disable any firewall including Windows Firewall and
check issue again.

Hope a good day!

> [...]

checkbox,
| >> and then click the "Disable All" button.
| >> 5. Click OK and restart your computer.
| >>
| >> 310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility
in
| >> Windows XP
| >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560
| >>
| >> If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
| >>
| >> Thanks & Regards,
| >>
| >> Jason Tan
| >>
| >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >>
| >> =====================================================
| >>
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >>
| >> =====================================================
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| >> |
Win2K
| >> SP4
XP
| >> Pro
| >> enabled
| >> two
| >> XP
After
| >> ten
| >> the
| >> window
Once
| >> them
| >> suggestions
| >> |
| >> |

Jason Tan (MSFT) said:
> [...]

checkbox,
| >> and then click the "Disable All" button.
| >> 5. Click OK and restart your computer.
| >>
| >> 310560: How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility
in
| >> Windows XP
| >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560
| >>
| >> If there is anything that is unclear, please feel free to let me know.
| >>
| >> Thanks & Regards,
| >>
| >> Jason Tan
| >>
| >> Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| >>
| >> =====================================================
| >>
| >> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| >> that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| >>
| >> =====================================================
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |
| >> |

Jason, I can reply for my situation, by saying that I have disabled the firewall, and still have the problem. I have confirmed that the firewall is disabled , and confirmed that all the TCP and UDP ports are open that I find on other XP SP1 clients. I have been able to set up network shares on this XP SP2 PC and map drives from other domain clients to those shares (and yes I then moved files to and from those shares over the network). I can PING this PC from the network by Netbios name. I can Search and find this PC by Netbios name, but it will not/does not appear in Network Neighborhood. I have read and performed KB article 246261, and confirmed that RestrictAnonymous is set to 0, and still this PC does not appear in Network Neighborhood. This was an expensive PC for my organization to purchase, and we definitely need it on the network. When I tried removing SP2 from this PC I found that it was embedded and removal was impossible. When I went back to the vendor, I was
informed that Microsoft would not allow them to ship anything , but XP with SP2. Please help.

Finally solved my problem. I Uninstalled/Reinstalled the "File and Printer
Sharing Service" under the Properties of my LAN network connection, and now
my PC does appear in the Network Neighborhood. Previously I had disabled the
firewall, confirmed that Netbios was enabled, that the registry settings
matched my other functioning clients all to no avail. I was always able to
successfully Share files to and from this PC, and to Ping and Search by
Netbios Name for this PC from other Remote Clients, but this PC would not
appear in Network Neighborhood. Apparently the File and Printer Service was
corrupted somehow with the initial image install by the vendor?? Maybe I
should have tried this first? At any rate I was able to fix my problem, and
I hope that by publishing my fix , that I can help others.

screwed

Thanks for that info. I still haven't solved my problem yet, but this is
something that I will definately look into.

Screwed

screwed

I have tried disabling the firewall, but that doesn't have any affect (in
fact, that is the first thing that I tried).

I ran Browstat and Ipconfig on all of the computers last night and came up
with the following results.

C:\>browstat status

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD117AF4-CD69-4406-80
A3-9F1B2CC6A4DE}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: C64
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master C64
\\NOVI
\\C64
There are 5 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD117
AF4-CD69-4406-80A3-9F1B2CC6A4DE}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD117
AF4-CD69-4406-80A3-9F1B2CC6A4DE}

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : c64
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-1B-26-CB-34
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:53:47
PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:58:47
PM

C:\>

All of the systems gave the same results (aside from Host Name, IP Address,
Physical Address, and Description which are system specific of course) with
one exception. The systems that hide are either Node Type Unknown or Hybrid
while the rest are Broadcast (except for the one XP SP1 system that never
hides and is listed as a backup server on all systems which is also
Unknown). All of the systems list the same Master Browser and the same 2
Backup Browsers. When either of the two systems go into hiding, the number
of servers decreases by one (or two if both are hidden at that time).

At this point I intend to try changing the Node Type to Broadcast on the
affected systems to see if that has any effect on the situation. I will
also be looking into the RestrictAnonymous and Hidden registry settings as
well as the "File and Printer Sharing Service" fix that EPGeek refers.

Aside from that, does anyone else have any suggestions?

I will post back with the results as they become available.

Screwed

Screwed, When you look at the properties for your TCP/IP LAN connection,
(under ADVANCED) what do you see under WINs? Have you checked the bullet for
"enable NETBIOS over TCP/IP" or "use NETBIOS from the DHCP Server". I
noticed that you do not show a WINS server in your IPCONFIG /all , so that if
you choose the latter alternative from above you might have a problem. Other
than that my PC's all say HYBRID, and now work just fine. Good luck, EPGeek

screwed

I have mine set to the Default : Use NetBios setting from DHCP server. I
have tried using the Enable NetBios over TCP/IP setting but that made no
difference.

Screwed

screwed

Well, here's a recap of what I have tried so far.

1: Made sure that restrictanonymous is set to 0 on all systems (it was)
2: Made sure that the Hidden Parameter was set to 0 (it was)
3: I Uninstalled/Reinstalled the "File and Printer Sharing Service" under
the Properties of my LAN network connection as per EPGeeks post.
4: Did the registry hack to force Node Type to Broadcast instead of Unknown
on the XP Pro SP2 system.
5: Turned off the Firewall (only the Windows Firewall from XP is installed,
no third party Firewalls).
6. Changed the NetBios setting to NetBios over TCP/IP.
7: Disabled the Computer Browser Service on all but two systems to avoid any
Master Browser conflicts
8: Ran the ipconfig/browstats as requested (see previous posts for those
results)

After all of this the situation is now as follows.

The XP Pro SP2 system can see all 2k and XP SP1 systems at all times in
Network Places. After approximately 20 to 30 minutes (this seems to have
gotten longer after all of the changes I have made) it hides from the other
systems and even itself in NP. It can be found using the Search for
Computers after that, but it takes 10 to 30 seconds for each drive to open
instead of the almost instantaneous opening it had when visible in NP. All
drives and files on the XP Pro SP2 system are available with no Permission
or Access issues from the other systems. Standby and Hibernation are not
active and no Screen Saver is kicking in. There is no AV on the system as
it does not have Internet Access (all outside files are checked on my Laptop
prior to being put on this Network).

The XP Home SP2 Laptop behaves the same as the above. This one does have
Grisoft AVG Free installed and regularly updated. It does have Standby and
Hibernation enabled when it's on Battery Power (but not when on AC) and the
Screen Saver does kick in either way. It doesn't matter if it's on Battery
or AC, it will hide either way.

When the two SP2 systems hide from Network Places they hide from ALL
systems, including themselves. Only the Win2K and the XP SP1 systems are
visible in Net Places.

Following are the ipconfig and browstat readouts of the six systems

******************************
This is the XP Pro SP2 system that hides:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Rev>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : infinity
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-29-26-DB-F3
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
9:59:00 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
10:04:00 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Rev>browstat status

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{72FB98AD-E3EB-43C6-95
17-5C40C109D330}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: C64
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master C64
\\NOVI
\\C64
There are 4 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{72FB9
8AD-E3EB-43C6-9517-5C40C109D330}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{72FB9
8AD-E3EB-43C6-9517-5C40C109D330}
*********************************

This is the XP Home SP2 System that hides:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Rev>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DELL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated
Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-43-64-4A-A9
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
10:03:11 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
10:08:11 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Rev>browstat status

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{EA91DCF8-1072-44BC-B7
1A-D3090CC9069C}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: C64
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master C64
\\NOVI
\\C64
There are 4 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{EA91D
CF8-1072-44BC-B71A-D3090CC9069C}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{EA91D
CF8-1072-44BC-B71A-D3090CC9069C}
**********************************

This is the XP Pro SP1 System:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : novi
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast
Ethernet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-29-82-3C-75
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
7:35:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
7:40:47 PM

C:\>browstat status

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8BA3FB4A-029A-463B-9D
FA-B8A54F36CC33}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: C64
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master C64
\\NOVI
\\C64
There are 4 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8BA3F
B4A-029A-463B-9DFA-B8A54F36CC33}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{8BA3F
B4A-029A-463B-9DFA-B8A54F36CC33}
**********************************

Here is one of the Windows 2000 SP4 systems:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:53:47 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:58:47 PM

C:\>browstat status

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD117AF4-CD69-4406-80
A3-9F1B2CC6A4DE}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: C64
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master C64
\\NOVI
\\C64
There are 4 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD117
AF4-CD69-4406-80A3-9F1B2CC6A4DE}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{CD117
AF4-CD69-4406-80A3-9F1B2CC6A4DE}
***********************************

Here is the second W2K SP4 System:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : shuttle
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking
Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-1B-25-3E-DA
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:47:40 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:52:40 PM

C:\>browstat status

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{16848CEC-1BC5-4CDF-9C
01-7056E532D850}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: C64
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master C64
\\C64
\\NOVI
There are 4 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{16848
CEC-1BC5-4CDF-9C01-7056E532D850}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{16848
CEC-1BC5-4CDF-9C01-7056E532D850}
****************************

Here is the third W2K SP4 System:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : K7S5A
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-D0-09-DE-EF-A0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:50:15 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 05, 2005
6:55:15 PM

C:\>browstat status

Status for domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C69CA5C6-7768-408E-81
A1-421A5FC5FC08}
Browsing is active on domain.
Master browser name is: C64
Master browser is running build 2195
2 backup servers retrieved from master C64
\\NOVI
\\C64
There are 4 servers in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C69CA
5C6-7768-408E-81A1-421A5FC5FC08}
There are 1 domains in domain MSHOME on transport
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{C69CA
5C6-7768-408E-81A1-421A5FC5FC08}
*********************************

At this point I am stumped and not sure of what to try next. I'll try to
run the CDiag on the systems to see what that tells me. Other than that I'm
beginning to think the only solution is to reformat the XP Pro SP2 system
and install SP1. I can live with the Laptop hiding, but I really need to
have proper access to the other SP2 system. I have no idea what the heck MS
did to SP2 to screw it up like this, but it's obvious that they did
something wrong (like that never happened in the past).

If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears, but if I can't get this resolved
in the next few days I'm going to have to just bite the bullet on this one
and do it the hard way (re: SP1). Too bad my Laptop came with SP2
preinstalled making it impractical to install SP1 on it.

screwed

Chuck

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
9:59:00 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
10:04:00 AM

[...]

You've done a lot of analysis here, and organised it very tightly. Some details
remain to be discovered though.

All browstat and ipconfig logs appear identical (excepting appropriate network
identity values). Is each browstat log a complete and totally accurate copy?
No extra transports that were edited out?

Did you enable the File and Printer Sharing exception for WF, on Infinity and
Dell?

The 20 to 30 minute before hiding period is intriguing. Twenty to thirty
minutes is midway thru a browser election cycle (between 6 and 52 minutes IIRC).
Is there any change in any browstat logs seen, if taken during and after this
period?

If answers "yes", "no", "yes" and "no" answers, respectively, are applicable, I
will look forward to seeing what CDiag results are seen.
Chuck

Jason Tan

Hi Screwed,

How about changing the computer to another workgroup and change computer
name back to the current workgroup?

> [...]

| run the CDiag on the systems to see what that tells me. Other than that
I'm
| beginning to think the only solution is to reformat the XP Pro SP2 system
| and install SP1. I can live with the Laptop hiding, but I really need to
| have proper access to the other SP2 system. I have no idea what the heck
MS
| did to SP2 to screw it up like this, but it's obvious that they did
| something wrong (like that never happened in the past).
|
| If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears, but if I can't get this
resolved
| in the next few days I'm going to have to just bite the bullet on this
one
| and do it the hard way (re: SP1). Too bad my Laptop came with SP2
| preinstalled making it impractical to install SP1 on it.

Screwed, Is there any chance that your NIC cards are negotiating a different
speed in the interim because of cabling problems? Perhaps dropping down to
10 mps from 100 mps in the interim period, and then renegotiating a higher
100mps speed when receiving a network request?? I know it's a long shot, but
I have seen similar problems, and this is obviously a weird problem.
Good luck, EPGEEK

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
9:59:00 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 08, 2005
10:04:00 AM

[...]

I made no changes to the logs. These are as they came out.
Did you enable the File and Printer Sharing exception for WF, on Infinity
and
Dell?

Yes I did. I have also tried with WF dissabled.
The 20 to 30 minute before hiding period is intriguing. Twenty to thirty
minutes is midway thru a browser election cycle (between 6 and 52 minutes
IIRC).
Is there any change in any browstat logs seen, if taken during and after
this
period?

Yes there is. In the line listing the number ot servers ( There are 4
servers in domain MSHOME on transport
Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{72FB98AD-E3EB-43C6-9517-5C40C109D330} ), the number will
drop to 3, reflecting the two W2K and the XPSP1 systems only, with the XPSP2
systems dropping out.
If answers "yes", "no", "yes" and "no" answers, respectively, are
applicable, I
will look forward to seeing what CDiag results are seen.

I forgot to bring them. I'll try to post them tomorrow.

Screwed