XP Pro printer sharing problem

G

I have a small Windows 2003 network with a domain. All the workstations are XP Pro machines.

Here's my problem:

I have a PC named "Brent". I have shared a USB printer on this PC. I have given Everyone rights to use this printer. I have also given the Administrator of a computer called "Andrew" Administrator rights to the "Brent" PC.

If the admin of "Andrew" logs on locally to the "Andrew" PC he can print on the "Brent" shared printer. This printing works fine when the admin of the"Brent" is logged on locally to the "Brent" PC or logged on to the network. In this scenario , the admin of "Andrew" has no problem printing on the "Brent" shared printer.

As soon as the admin of "Andrew" logs on to the network and tries to access or add the "Brent" shared printer he gets the following error:

\\Brent is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

I assume the problem here is RIGHTS.

I tried a few things but I think I need some help/ calrification on this issue.

Just to be clear: I want the admin of "Andrew" to be able to access the "Brent" shared printer at any time, regardless if the admin of "Andrew" is logged on locally to his "Andrew" PC or logged on to the network.

Thanks

Perry

C

Cari \(MS MVP\)

Have you looked at Bruce Sanderson's article at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

perry said:
I have a small Windows 2003 network with a domain. All the workstations are XP Pro machines.

Here's my problem:

I have a PC named "Brent". I have shared a USB printer on this PC. I
have given Everyone rights to use this printer. I have also given the
Administrator of a computer called "Andrew" Administrator rights to the
"Brent" PC.
If the admin of "Andrew" logs on locally to the "Andrew" PC he can print
on the "Brent" shared printer. This printing works fine when the admin of
the"Brent" is logged on locally to the "Brent" PC or logged on to the
network. In this scenario , the admin of "Andrew" has no problem printing
on the "Brent" shared printer.
As soon as the admin of "Andrew" logs on to the network and tries to
access or add the "Brent" shared printer he gets the following error:
\\Brent is not accesible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

I assume the problem here is RIGHTS.

I tried a few things but I think I need some help/ calrification on this issue.

Just to be clear: I want the admin of "Andrew" to be able to access the
"Brent" shared printer at any time, regardless if the admin of "Andrew" is
logged on locally to his "Andrew" PC or logged on to the network.

G

Hi Cari,

I looked at the artile.

With the specific error I mentioned, how can this possibly work when I can't really see the shared printer from the "Andrew" PC.

The PrintUIEntry function looks like a very useful tool but do think it will fix my problem if I can't see the shared printer?

thanks,
Perry

Ask a Question