XP-Pro Keeps rebooting to Scandisk and will not stop.

G

I have 2 machines with Windows XP-Pro (1 with SP-1 the Other Without).
I went into disk management and scheduled scandisk to run.
It told me that it would perform this on the next reboot.
So I ran shutdown/restart.
Scandisk came up and completed all 5 tests and said it was done.
It then rebooted itself, and went right back into scandisk.
It rebooted and repeated the cycle. ( I let it run 5 Times completely)
My next attempt at reboot was to hit the <space> bar when it said that it was going to run scandisk in (10 Secs).
It then says that Windows has completed scandisk, and just sits there.
It does not do anything, nor does it allow me to reboot in safe mode, or to last known good.
It just goes right back into scandisk on last known good.
And it will not boot into safe mode at all, it gets as far as DMup.dll and locks up.
I can get into the recovery console by booting to my XP disk, and I checked my Boot.ini to see if it had /chkdsk in it.
I also checked for a scndsk.log file but could not find one there.
If I run chkdsk from the recovery console it locks up again.
I have checked the Support FAQ but have not seen any info for this.
On the system without SP-1, I even tried to re-install the system, and it will get to the point where it says,
"windows will now check your disks to verify disk space" and it locks up there as well.
Basically any attempt to chkdsk or scandisk locks up both machines.
HEEELLLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!

G

it sounds like you have a virus on your pc, i believe it's the blaster virus. my neighbor had the same problem and it was a virus.

G

I would believe that if, as part of maintenance, I had not just completed Norton Updates and Full Virus scan
These Have had Norton Antivirus on them since they came on line on Feb 2003
I do weekly maintenance on them but have never run the scandisk till now
I was told by an MCSE +I+T that there was an issue with this and not to run it
But others have told me that it was OK, so I tried to run it and look what happens

G

i have personally had 3 viruses that snuck by norton now. i have a different anti virus software now. i got the blaster virus on my pc and norton didn't detect it until my other vs was trying to quarantine it already. i hope it's not that . i have had trouble with scandisk on mine as well but not like that. sorry i couldn't help more but keep an open mind about a virus.

G

Gotcha....But that still does not help with the fact that I cannot even re-install the system.
What are you using for Virus Protection Now?
Anyt thoughts on how to get the OS reloaded?

G

i actually use fixit utilities 4.0. it has caught every virus on my pc and lets me know if there is one on a website i visit. i think it's an excellent program and swear by it. there is a new version but i'm happy with 4.0. along with that , it has registry fix, fix wizards, all kinds of stuff. did you try hitting F8 and going into command mode as soon as the pc even tries to start? i would suggest , if you can't get up and running , a clean install by first erasing your disk and then installing. you will lose all info of course.

G

Yes as I stated in the original post I got into the command mode.
But I guess I do not know what to do once I am there.
I tried to run both chkdsk and scndsk from the command mode and it just locked up again.
I thought that FIXIT was only to fix or test hardware components, not a virus scanner.
what should I do once I get into the command mode?
Thanks for the info so far.
I am trying to prevent losing the data on the drive since it is NOT backed up, and irreplaceable.

G

fixit has all the utilities plus an anti virus software. i am going to contact a few buddies and see what they suggest and will get back to you.

G

Thanks..!
If you want to, to speed up the process you can email me directly.
(e-mail address removed)

G

Got It !
Thanks!
For Everyone Else.

ScanDisk Keeps Running Over And Over.

Problems When Windows XP Tries to Load the Agp440.sys Service

View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q324764
SYMPTOMS
When you install Windows XP, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:
When you restart your computer, you may be prompted to use the Last Known Good configuration.
When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang) during the restart, and each time you restart thereafter.
You may be prompted to run ScanDisk.
When you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang).
If you do not run ScanDisk, your computer may start correctly.
However you are prompted to run ScanDisk every time you start your computer,
and if you do so, your computer may stop responding (hang).
When you restart your computer, your computer may stop responding (hang).
If you try to restart your computer in Safe mode,
your computer may stop responding (hang) when Windows XP tries to load the Agp440.sys service.

CAUSE
This issue may occur if Windows XP tries to use an incompatible video driver during startup.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, disable the Agp440.sys service:

IMPORTANT:
You must know the administrator password to complete the following procedure.
If you do not know the administrator password, contact your system administrator.
After you complete this procedure, any video adapter driver you have installed will be disabled,
and Windows XP will use default VGA drivers.
Insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM, and then restart your computer.
When the computer starts, press F12.
Start your computer from CD-ROM, and make sure that you select the drive that contains the Windows XP installation CD-ROM.
In the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, select R for repair, and then press ENTER.
Select the installation number for the problem installation.
Type the password for the administrator account of that installation, and then press ENTER.
You receive a drive:WINDOWS> prompt, where drive is the drive on which Windows XP is installed.
Type listsvc, and then press ENTER.
Make sure that the Agp440 service is listed, and that the startup type is set to "Boot".
Press ESC.
Type disable agp440, and then press ENTER.
You receive a message that the registry setting for this service was found,
and that its current startup state is "service_disabled".
Type exit, and then press ENTER.
If you are prompted to start in Safe mode or Normal mode, start in Normal mode.
Log on to your computer.

Windows XP includes default video drivers that make it possible for your monitor to work.
However, some features may not work as you expect with these default drivers.
Update your video drivers periodically.
To do so, visit your computer manufacturers Web site, and download the most recent drivers for your video adapter.

Ask a Question