XP-P vs. Me

Added new HD, downloaded XP-P onto it (F:)(Master). Me is still on original
HD (C:)(Slave). Is there any way I can switch from one to the other? There
are some WinMe features/programs on Me I'd like to be able to run. If not,
is there a way to move something like EZ CD Creator from C: to F:??

Any help appreciated, fiftyfox PS: This was only XP group I could find to
start off in; hope its ok.

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)

Since they are both already installed, you will need third party software
such as Partition Magic or System Commander in order to create a dual boot
scenario.

If the version of Easy CD Creator is earlier than version 6, it is not
compatible with XP and you would need a later version if you wish to use
Easy CD Creator in XP but that has nothing to do with dual booting or your
ability to continue to use your current version of WinME.

To make sure I understand: Software will allow me to switch back and forth
between the two drives? If I am on C:, I will be able to use Me and its
applications/functions as if it is on a different computer? Hope so...will
then find and buy one of the two you suggested. (which would you buy?)

Thanks, fiftyfox

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)

That's not what you asked nor is it as simple as switching drives. You must
boot into either operating system in order to use an application installed
in that operating system. Because both operating systems appear from your
posts to already be installed, you need the third party software I mentioned
in order to boot into one or the other.

The ability to switch drives is a different matter. However, because you
have WinME installed, it cannot see the XP drive if XP is using NTFS instead
of FAT32. XP on the other can see the WinME drive assuming the drive is not
hidden. Nonetheless, for what you wish to do, run the applications still
installed on WinME, you need to be able to boot into WinME. With the proper
software, you can boot into either operating system and use the applications
installed in that OS.

I probably was not clear in my question but you filtered through and answered
it with your last sentence. With the proper software, I'll be able to run XP
or ME by choosing which hard drive I want to boot.

Thanks for your help, fiftyfox

Not Me

Michael,
I think, to make it a tad clearer; he/she needs to understand that
he/she needs to create, what is normally called by most folks, a "dual
boot system". Secondly, both cannot be accessed at the same time. If you
are using XP, for instance, that Operating System has to be completely
closed down BEFORE Win ME can be started (booted).
Another question: what feature in Win ME cannot be surpassed or equaled
[at least, to a possible extent] by a feature in XP?
Gene K

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)

Gene, as to part one of your post, I couldn't have said it better myself and
I didn't!<VBG>

As to part 2, your question, I don't believe the OP was referring so much to
features as applications. If he doesn't wish to invest in new version of
Easy CD Creator for example, he could choose to do his burning in WinMe
though, as you point out, that would require shutting down XP and booting
ME. However, I believe if he used something such a Virtual PC, even that
would not be required. I think Virtual PC allows you to run more than one
OS at the same time...It does require a great deal of memory; the user
should have a very robust system in order to use Virtual PC.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Not Me said:
[...]

I re-read again and agree that the interest in retention of WinME stems
from the fact that his third party programs apparently cannot function
on XP. Neither you or I know what these programs consist of other than
EZ CD Creator.
The interesting thing about the Virtual PC software [as I found out by
rambling around that particular Newsgroup a couple of weeks ago] is that
you can set-up a completely separate functioning OS within your other
OS; however, you cannot install a copy of your present version of
Windows within that Virtual PC without purchasing another license for
that use. Fiftyfox apparently already owns the ME License plus the XP
license [little bit unsure about XP since I am not aware of a downloaded
version being available from Microsoft]; however, if the license is
legitimate, the Virtual PC software [$129 if my memory is correct] would
seem to be a better solution to his problem since it was stated in that
Newsgroup that you could readily and quickly switch back and forth from
one to the other. Many people in that Newsgroup were vitally interested
in the Virtual PC as a third party software testbed.
Gene K

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP\)

Agreed. The people that I know who are using it swear by it. Of course, he
should consider the cost of upgrading his current software against the cost
of Virtual PC.:)