XP Not Releasing Com Ports

G

I am trying to release com ports that are no longer in use, but XP seems to be saving
I use my XP Home Ed laptop to test other peoples' integrated systems. When testing, I have to go through their various USB to Serial converters. My problem is, each of these devices is holding the com port assignment they grabbed when connected, so each device after is grabbing the next sequencial com port. i.e. an Edgeport4 is hanging on to coms 5-8, a Belkin is holding com 9, another Edgeport4 is holding coms 10-13 and so on. The next converter I connect to will start at com 26! Since the devices are no longer connected, they do not show up in the Device Manager. I tried the the Show Hidden and nothing. I searched Microsoft's Support and found nothing for XP. They had something about it for 2000, but the workaround was 2000 specific. Any ideas would be great. (Besides telling me I should have Removed Hardware, too late now

G

Under the 2000 fix, it says it will show you the ports if "Show Hidden" is selected while in Device Manager. It doesn't do it for me. The 2000 fix is exactly what I am looking for, but alas...

Ask a Question