XP Machine Locked Down

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I have a computer which someone attempted to locked down. They removed the
Run from the start menu along with Control Panel and just about everything
else. I tried using GPedit thinking that was were he locked everything
down. Everything looks clean. My guess is he did a bunch of registry
edits.

Does anyone know of a way to reset XP back to its defaults setting easily?
I have looked on TechNet but have not found anything.

Thanks.

Harrison Midkiff

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Perhaps the following may work:

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll way down
to Item No. 296 titled: "Lift MMC/GPEDIT Snap-In Restrictions".

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

| Hello:
|
| I have a computer which someone attempted to locked down. They removed the
| Run from the start menu along with Control Panel and just about everything
| else. I tried using GPedit thinking that was were he locked everything
| down. Everything looks clean. My guess is he did a bunch of registry
| edits.
|
| Does anyone know of a way to reset XP back to its defaults setting easily?
| I have looked on TechNet but have not found anything.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Harrison Midkiff

Tom Che [MSFT]

Hi Harrison,

Thanks for posting here. Also thanks for our MVP Carey's wonderful
suggestion.

If you are unable to import the REG file as Carey recommended due to the
restriction, I think you may download and run the following script first:

<http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/regtmcmdrestore.vbs>

The script will delete the following registry entries and enable you to use
Registry Editor, Command Prompt and Task Manager:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegist
ryTools
HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\DisableCMD
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableTaskMg
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\system\DisableTaskMg

Hope this helps. If you have any updates or need any further assistance on
this issue, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice week!

Sincerely,
Tom Che
Microsoft Online Partner Support