Restoring Defaults

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I have a computer which someone tried to lock down. They removed most of
the Start menu items. You know Run, Control Panel, etc. I thought they did
this by using "gpedit". When I looked it was clean. I think he used the
registry and modified a bunch of settings.

Does anyone know how to reset WinXP back to all its default menu options to
get all these items back?

Harrison Midkiff

Steven L Umbach

I believe that an upgrade/repair installation will restore registry values
to default levels though doing so would require that you first install your
service pack [if not included on your install disk] and then all critical
security updates from Windows Updates when done. I would use that as a last
resort option.

Since you already took a look at gpedit go ahead and define [enable or
disable] the settings that you believe would reverse the restriction that
you no longer want and generally that would be a disabled setting. Otherwise
you could try to find the registry restrictions and change them to what you
want. The guide at the links below should help you do such and the key
listed below is where a lot of user restrictions are found. --- Steve

http://www.winguides.com/registry/
http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/16/
http://www.winguides.com/registry/category.php/43/

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Harrison,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

From your post, I notice that you have posted the same question in our
<microsoft.public.windowsxp.general> newsgroup, to which Carey (MVP) and
Tom Che have already responded. Please check these answers there, and if
you need any further assistance on this particular issue please reply to me
in that thread so I can follow up with you. In the future, please don't
cross-post the same question in multiple newsgroups. This will help our
engineers work on your question more efficiently.

Your understanding and cooperation is appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Restoring Defaults
| Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 21:07:02 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| Hello:
|
| I have a computer which someone tried to lock down. They removed most of
| the Start menu items. You know Run, Control Panel, etc. I thought they
did
| this by using "gpedit". When I looked it was clean. I think he used the
| registry and modified a bunch of settings.
|
| Does anyone know how to reset WinXP back to all its default menu options
| get all these items back?
|
| Harrison Midkiff

Harrison Midkiff

I solved the problem. I thought they had made a bunch of registry changes,
but when I dug into the machine they had used the "Taskbar and Start Menu"
applet in the Control Panel. I set everything back to defaults and it is
working fine. Thanks.....

Ken Zhao [MSFT]

Hello Harrison,

Thanks for your reply!

I am glad to know the problem has been resolved. If you have any other
questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. It is always
my pleasure to be of assistance.