XP Home upgrade - now can't file share w/ Win 2000 pro computer

D

derm

I recently upgraded a computer from 98 to XP home. Prior
to the upgrade I could file and printer share over a home
network (w/ a Router) with a PC running Win 2000 Pro.

The Workgroup names are common and there is no conflict
on Computer names

In My Network Places, the Win 2000 PC can see the the XP
machine but cannot access it. The XP machine can't see
the Win 2000 machine.
Any help would be appreciated

G

-----Original Message-----
I recently upgraded a computer from 98 to XP home. Prior
to the upgrade I could file and printer share over a home
network (w/ a Router) with a PC running Win 2000 Pro.

The Workgroup names are common and there is no conflict
on Computer names

In My Network Places, the Win 2000 PC can see the the XP
machine but cannot access it. The XP machine can't see
the Win 2000 machine.
Any help would be appreciated
in XP you must give permission to share
file/folder/drive right click on the file or whatever it
is you want to share and allow sharing

D

derm

I had previously done that - no effect
-----Original Message-----

file/folder/drive right click on the file or whatever it
is you want to share and allow sharing

G

Man, I know ur pain, heh...2 XP's and Win2k Pro here...You are in for a ride. If you make the Win2k machine the host you might have an easier time but I refused to give in and kept my XP Pro the server. The thing that nobody mentions in the setup u read for XP is the old "Map a drive" trick. Select a shared folder such as "SharedDocs" and of course you have this folder set to share with network, Go up to tools and slect "Map a network drive..." select drive of your choice and in folder type: \\NameofServer\SharedDocs\........Click ok, you now have a mapped drive on your server. Now move to the Win2k machine and open a folder and move to the top and go to tools...select "Map a network drive..." This should look exactly like the first one ..."\\NameofServer\SharedDocs\......I will tell you that I have sucessfully mapped and been able to actually see all 3 pc's maybe 4 times in 30 tries. heh. The one thing I kept doing was I was setting up my network in whatever order I had open space in between updates and driver installs...Don't do that....Get a standalone connection with your server, then setup the home or small network showing that machine as the machine all others pass thru...THEN, configure your win2k pro...Order of events that the 2 pc's are introduced is very important. OH one more thing, this is tricky....Your configuration will not work (That I've ever seen in about 200 attempts) if you go win2k to hub...XP to hub....Hub to modem.....Windows hates this as it opens you wide open to atk. Try this: win2k to hub...hub to XP on 2nd NIC....1st NIC to modem. This gives you the added protection that XP will give you with NAT (don't freak when your workstation pc has a 192.x.x.x IP) windows caters to this config. Do yourself a favor and buy a 2nd NIC!! I was stubborn for 2 weeks and when I finally did this everything came together. Good Luck!

G

check the local security policy on your XP machine (you can find it in control panel, under administrative tasks). there should be an entry in "local principles - security options" called something like "network access: sharing and security for local accounts" set it to "classic - local users authenticate as themselves" and you should be able to open drives from your 2k machine

at least this worked for me on my xp pro comp.

/Erik

Ask a Question