and THEN gets deleted.

I have XP Pro, Win2k and Win98 machines printing to the
same printer without this problem.

Any suggestions on what the problem is?

Thanks for your time...

Bruce

Reaction score
I notice the problem too...

I have the same problem, but with a Lexmark X1150 on XP Pro. Hopefully this information will help to direct people to a solution. I would love to find out the solution too - it drives me nuts. I find that it tends to be due to the print job getting to "99% complete" (prints ok). Which means with multiple documents in the print queue, only the first job is "completed" (so to speak). For the others, I have to reboot and resend the jobs.

Reaction score
A work-around!!

I have found a work-around. Annoying, yes - but better than rebooting the PC. I have found the following steps work:

1. Click Start, Run, type Net Stop Spooler, and press ENTER.
2. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer and goto c:\windows\system32\spool\printers. Inside this folder, highlight all the files and delete them.
3. Click Start, Run, type Net Start Spooler, and press ENTER.

I used the knowledgebase information at support.lexmark.com to get this information. Actually, it's reduced down considerably from what they suggest (which I have shown below for reference purposes).....
LEXMARK KNOWLEDGE BASE SUGGESTION QUOTED......

To remove a print job from Windows XP:

1. Click Start, Printers and Faxes and double-click on the Lexmark printer driver.
  2. Open the Printer menu and select Cancel All Documents. This will purge the print queue so as to allow the printer to print or uninstall the driver.
  3. If the print jobs are not removed from the queue, click Start, Run, type Net Stop Spooler, and press ENTER.
  4. Click Start, Shutdown, and select Restart. The documents or the print jobs should be removed.
If you are having difficulty deleting the print jobs in the printer spooler, do the following:

1. Restart the PC in "safe mode". To do this:
    1. Click Start, Shut Down and select Restart.
    2. While the PC is restarting, press the F8 key on the keyboard. Note: Do not hold down the key down, but be aware that you may need to press it several times.
  2. When in safe mode, click Start, My Computer.
  3. Double-click on the ( C: ) drive.
  4. Double-click on the Windows folder.
  5. Double-click on the System32 folder.
  6. Double-click on the Spool folder.
  7. Double-click on the Printers folder.
  8. Select the contents of this folder and click Delete.

Last edited:

Ask a Question