XP Hidden Devices

Kris

I would like to know how to remove 'hidden devices'
(particularly Network devices) from Windows XP
Professional.... XP refuses to uninstall, because it
claims that the device is required by Windows. I've tried
un-installing in 'safe' mode.... Still no joy...

Carey Frisch [MVP]

One cannot "uninstall" Windows XP Professional
unless one reformats the hard drive.

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

|I would like to know how to remove 'hidden devices'
| (particularly Network devices) from Windows XP
| Professional.... XP refuses to uninstall, because it
| claims that the device is required by Windows. I've tried
| un-installing in 'safe' mode.... Still no joy...

J.C. Hornbeck [MSFT]

Hi Kris, check out this knowledge base article - I think it'll show you how
to remove those hidden devices:

315539 - Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not Connected to
the Windows XP-Based Computer (http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315539).

--
J.C. Hornbeck, MCSE
Microsoft Product Support

NOTE: Please reply to the newsgroup and not directly to me. This allows
others to add to and benefit from these threads and also helps to ensure a
more timely response. Thank you!

This posting is provided "AS IS" without warranty either expressed or
implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

Rich Barry

Try this:
Click Start/Run/CMD
At the prompt type:
SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1
START DEVMGMT.MSC
When Device manager loads - click View/Show hidden devices
Delete all entries - reboot and let Windows install the driver.

Comment from sirbounty
Date: 01/02/2004 04:33AM PST

Brian Gregory [UK]

J.C. Hornbeck said:
Hi Kris, check out this knowledge base article - I think it'll show
you how to remove those hidden devices:

315539 - Device Manager Does Not Display Devices That Are Not
Connected to the Windows XP-Based Computer
(http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315539).

WTF isn't this an option on one of the menus in Device Manager???

*Vanguard*

"Brian Gregory [UK]" said in news:[email protected]:
WTF isn't this an option on one of the menus in Device Manager???

Obviously you didn't even bother to read the KB article or to even open
Device Manager and LOOK! The option is under the View menu. Says so in
the KB article. It's right there if you bothered to look at the menus
in Device Manager. Check before you blurt out an unsubstantiated bitch.

*Vanguard*

Date: 01/02/2004 04:33AM PST

Rather than do that manual set of an environment everytime, and if you
always want hidden devices to appear in the Device Manager's list, add
this environment variable to your USER or SYSTEM environment variable
list depending on whether you want it using that default for just you or
for everyone that logs in on that computer. However, since the option
to show hidden devices is right there under the View menu, setting an
environment variable everytime is the most effort costly method to
obtain the same result.

Brian Gregory [UK]

*Vanguard* said:
Obviously you didn't even bother to read the KB article or to even
open Device Manager and LOOK! The option is under the View menu.
Says so in the KB article. It's right there if you bothered to look
at the menus in Device Manager. Check before you blurt out an
unsubstantiated bitch.

I did read the article.

If you had read it properly you would see that the options you mention
is not all that is required for this function.

Obviously I meant why is there no equivalent of

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Inside Device Manager.

Now who looks like stupid bitch.

Now piss off and go back licking Bill Gates arse.

*Vanguard*

"Brian Gregory [UK]" said in news:[email protected]:
I did read the article.

If you had read it properly you would see that the options you mention
is not all that is required for this function.

Obviously I meant why is there no equivalent of

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Inside Device Manager.

Now who looks like stupid bitch.

Now piss off and go back licking Bill Gates arse.

See my other post on how you can define global environment variables so
you don't have to keep entering them in the shell you open to run a
program.